Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientists claim jogging can be harmful
Scientists claim jogging can be harmful
Quote:People who sweat and slave in extreme workouts in the hope that they will live longer may be unwittingly harming themselves, according to US researchers.

Those do moderate exercise - amounting to two to three hours of running a week - live the longest, while people running a lot, and those who do none at all, both have shorter lifespans, Health Day reported.

While scientists are uncertain as to why this is the case, they believe it could be linked to how jogging affects heart health.

Dr Martin Matsumura, who led the study, said he does not tell people not to go running on the basis of the research

“What we still don't understand is defining the optimal dose of running for health and longevity,” he told Health Day.

Dr James O’Keefe, director of preventive cardiology at the Mid-American Heart Institute in Kansas City who reviewed the research, said that "wear and tear" inflicted on people's bodies when they do a lot of running could explain the results.

He advised that runners should aim for about two and a half hours of slow to moderate paced running a week.

“If you want to run a marathon, run one and cross it off your bucket list,” he added.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/...33877.html

As an avid jogger, I do not particularly care if it shortens my lifespan. I am not aiming to live to be an old man anyway.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Scientists claim jogging can be harmful
I do a crazy amount of intense physical activity a week compared to your average citizen. It's also not to lengthen my lifespan and I'm sure that the strain on my body is not good for me. I'm pretty much in a constant state of injury. I do it become I am compelled psychologically to do it. I don't think that lengthening your lifespan is the be all and end all of being active, there are also quality of life to consider.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
If you think about it, the simple fact that you're alive will get you killed. Just enjoy the ride, while it lasts.
(April 13, 2014 at 2:39 pm)LastPoet Wrote: If you think about it, the simple fact that you're alive will get you killed. Just enjoy the ride, while it lasts.

Life is a terminal STD.

Anything can kill people.
Dying to live, living to die.
I'm not sure why anyone would think straining and sweating on a regular basis would lengthen their lifespan. It's likely to lose weight quickly, so they'll have a healthier body mass index score. After they lose weight, they'll presumably slow down unless they're training for something specific. Yeah, pushing your body to the limit is actually hurting yourself. Muscles grow stronger as they regrow damaged tissue, so you have to hurt yourself to get into shape, then slow down after you reach your goal. Do it your whole life, and your body will eventually break down more than it builds up.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I run five miles a day, three days a week. This, according to the article, is pretty near what they suggest.

My luck, I'll get run over by a bus on my next run.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 13, 2014 at 2:18 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: I do a crazy amount of intense physical activity a week compared to your average citizen. It's also not to lengthen my lifespan and I'm sure that the strain on my body is not good for me. I'm pretty much in a constant state of injury. I do it become I am compelled psychologically to do it. I don't think that lengthening your lifespan is the be all and end all of being active, there are also quality of life to consider.

[Image: old-age-cartoon-doctors-pensioners.jpg]
What is life? If it means hanging on as many calendear days as you can, then perhaps even stepping out the front door is a bad idea. But people don't exercise to buy more days; they exercise because it makes them more alive.
(April 13, 2014 at 9:15 pm)bennyboy Wrote: What is life? If it means hanging on as many calendear days as you can, then perhaps even stepping out the front door is a bad idea. But people don't exercise to buy more days; they exercise because it makes them more alive.

Yeah... some do exercise because it makes them more alive, but some exercise because they're obsessed with buying more time. There are a ton of people who exercise because of the fountain of youth it gives them.
How about telling us what is not harmful?
I wonder what scientifically perfect life would look like.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jogging in my older age Foxaèr 16 1273 August 30, 2018 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie