Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question About the Scientific Method
Question About the Scientific Method
If an idea or theory has really good, elegant math to support it, everything makes perfect sense and lines up logically, but can't be tested, is it still "science"?

I read an article yesterday about inflation/multiverse ideas. Since we can't test it, at least yet, even though it's not "woo", is it technically pseudo-science? Can it be taken seriously?
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
RE: Question About the Scientific Method
It's a hypothesis. It's an important step in science, but not the goal. It has to be tested, and until it is, it will never grow up to be part of a robust theory.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(April 3, 2014 at 1:01 pm)ThePinsir Wrote: If an idea or theory has really good, elegant math to support it, everything makes perfect sense and lines up logically, but can't be tested, is it still "science"?

I read an article yesterday about inflation/multiverse ideas. Since we can't test it, at least yet, even though it's not "woo", is it technically pseudo-science? Can it be taken seriously?

In addition to what Mister Agenda had to say...

It is not mature science - not to the point of being award the pedigree of a scientific theory.

M-theory falls under the purview of theoretical physics - where "theory" means something quite a bit different than "scientific theory".

I wouldn't consider it pseudo-science - rather an interesting, currently untestable hypothesis. Absent the coherent mathematics behind it, I'd call it woo / pseudo-science.
If the maths work, then the hypothesis is not impossible.

It the maths don't, fuhgeddaboutit.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
If it's un-testable then I wouldn't call it an hypothesis, since it's beginning to get into the realm of Russell's teapot. A theory would need some way of testing it, and preferably a set of expected results that can be tested against.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
(April 3, 2014 at 1:01 pm)ThePinsir Wrote: If an idea or theory has really good, elegant math to support it, everything makes perfect sense and lines up logically, but can't be tested, is it still "science"?

Are you stipulating that it can't be tested EVER, or that the test has simply not been invented yet, or we lack the technology needed to test it and must wait until that technology is invented?

If it can be tested but the test or technology hasn't yet been invented, I would say it is science, but it's currently an untested hypothesis.

If it can't be tested EVER, then I wouldn't call it science, I would call it religion. Wink

Seriously, though, if it's not falsifiable, then to me it's not science.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(April 3, 2014 at 4:19 pm)Tobie Wrote: If it's un-testable then I wouldn't call it an hypothesis, since it's beginning to get into the realm of Russell's teapot. A theory would need some way of testing it, and preferably a set of expected results that can be tested against.

Would this also apply to the widely-believed Star-Gas-Star model? We obviously can't test the origin or stars, and I don't think we've ever observed a star being born (have we?). Same with the origin of planets - it would take probably a billion or so years to watch space debris coalesce under its own gravity to form planets; we can't very well perform controlled laboratory experiments on it either.

So is our current model of the formation of solar systems also "not even a hypothesis"? I am so confusedUndecided
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I do not feel ashamed
(April 4, 2014 at 9:07 am)ThePinsir Wrote: Would this also apply to the widely-believed Star-Gas-Star model? We obviously can't test the origin or stars, and I don't think we've ever observed a star being born (have we?). Same with the origin of planets - it would take probably a billion or so years to watch space debris coalesce under its own gravity to form planets; we can't very well perform controlled laboratory experiments on it either.

So is our current model of the formation of solar systems also "not even a hypothesis"? I am so confusedUndecided

We observe all the different stages of star formation. We also can create simulations in computers programmed only with laws of physics which produce results that support the theory.

I've asked myself this question many times since I'm involved in the string theory community a bit, though I'm not one myself. My current attitude is that by exploring possible mathematical models which can describe observed physics, but are hard to directly test, we gain knowledge, because it gives us an idea what would be the minimal consistent models which for example describe particle physics and quantum gravity. In absence of direct experimental tests, this is the best hints we can get about what physics awaits us near the planck scale. Such speculation is therefore a legitimate part of science, but one should always be aware of its status which is less than a properly tested theory like the standard model.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(April 4, 2014 at 9:51 am)Heywood Wrote:
(April 4, 2014 at 9:07 am)ThePinsir Wrote: Would this also apply to the widely-believed Star-Gas-Star model? We obviously can't test the origin or stars, and I don't think we've ever observed a star being born (have we?). Same with the origin of planets - it would take probably a billion or so years to watch space debris coalesce under its own gravity to form planets; we can't very well perform controlled laboratory experiments on it either.

We observe all the different stages of star formation. We also can create simulations in computers programmed only with laws of physics which produce results that support the theory.

Ok, stars are good then Smile

What about planet formation? Any ideas on how that's observed?
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I do not feel ashamed

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scientific/objective purpose of human species, may be to replicate universes blue grey brain 6 1031 November 25, 2018 at 10:17 am
Last Post: unfogged
  Intelligent Design as a scientific theory? SuperSentient 26 5991 March 26, 2017 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: SuperSentient
Exclamation Can you give me scientific references to mass loss during the pass over? theBorg 26 4564 August 18, 2016 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Questioning Scientific Titans ScepticOrganism 19 3055 July 1, 2016 at 11:56 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Scientific Studies IATIA 9 1827 May 11, 2016 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  The scientific version of good and bad Detective L Ryuzaki 15 5088 August 31, 2015 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Scientific Adam and Eve Won2blv 52 14250 June 22, 2015 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Scientific arguments for eating Organic/non-GMO food? CapnAwesome 15 4146 June 10, 2015 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Republicans Introduces Bill To Require Political Approval Of Scientific Papers Gooders1002 18 6396 May 7, 2013 at 6:11 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Sir Isaac Newton Time life said he was the greatest scientific thinker of our time franca 2 2299 October 5, 2012 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: Jackalope