Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:06 pm

Poll: Can Intelligent Design be considered Science?
This poll is closed.
Yes, and has powerful evidence to support it
4.35%
1 4.35%
Yes, but I don't agree with it
0%
0 0%
No, design is not testable
17.39%
4 17.39%
No, but I agree with it
0%
0 0%
No, religious dogma
78.26%
18 78.26%
Only if science abandons its presumption of naturalism
0%
0 0%
It depends
0%
0 0%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intelligent Design as a scientific theory?
Intelligent Design as a scientific theory?
This is the Intelligent Design in the words of ID proponents:
Quote:The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection
http://www.intelligentdesign.org/

People have attacked and criticized the ID movement as creationism masquerading as less religious. It has been referred to as "pseudoscience", misleading, and religion based rather than science based.
People have attacked it as just having negative arguments that criticize natural processes and concludes that life (and universe) is designed from that. The ID movement claims to have positive arguments for design and believe that we can detect design in nature and test it. Two common arguments they use are irreducible complexity (minimum parts for functioning in a system) and specified complexity (designed things being complex and specified). 

What do you think of it?
Hail Satan!  Bow Down Diablo

RE: Intelligent Design as a scientific theory?
(March 25, 2017 at 12:17 am)TheAtheologian Wrote: People have attacked and criticized the ID movement as creationism masquerading as less religious.

That's because that's exactly what ID is. When creationism was struck down by US courts to keep religion out of public school education, creationists just reworded creationism to disguise it as something less religious so they could try again. They called this "Intelligent Design". The restructuring didn't fool the courts, so it's not going to fool me.
(March 25, 2017 at 12:22 am)Jesster Wrote:
(March 25, 2017 at 12:17 am)TheAtheologian Wrote: People have attacked and criticized the ID movement as creationism masquerading as less religious.

That's because that's exactly what ID is. When creationism was struck down by US courts to keep religion out of public school education, creationists just reworded creationism to disguise it as something less religious so they could try again. They called this "Intelligent Design". The restructuring didn't fool the courts, so it's not going to fool me.

I have heard most Pro-ID organizations are opposed to teaching Intelligent Design in public schools.

(March 25, 2017 at 12:28 am)TheAtheologian Wrote: I have heard most Pro-ID organizations are opposed to teaching Intelligent Design in public schools.

Sure. They've learned that pushing for that was't getting them anywhere. That doesn't change where the ID argument started from.
(March 25, 2017 at 12:30 am)Jesster Wrote:
(March 25, 2017 at 12:28 am)TheAtheologian Wrote: I have heard most Pro-ID organizations are opposed to teaching Intelligent Design in public schools.

Sure. They've learned that pushing for that was't getting them anywhere. That doesn't change where the ID argument started from.

Do you believe ID could be science or that design wouldn't be testable anyways?

(March 25, 2017 at 12:31 am)TheAtheologian Wrote: Do you believe ID could be science or that design wouldn't be testable anyways?

It's not at all scientific. They call it a scientific theory, but it doesn't even qualify as a hypothesis. A hypothesis must be both testable and falsifiable, and ID fits neither requirement. To be called a scientific theory, it must get far past that point.
(March 25, 2017 at 12:22 am)Jesster Wrote:

Exactly this.
There are even some publications that, after the reworking, accidently contained traces of the word " creationism" or "creationist" near or around the words "intelligent design" or "design proponent". They literally took what they already had and altered a few words. Somehow, they even failed to do that very well.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Of_Pandas_and_People
"The term "creationists" was changed to "design proponents", but in one case the beginning and end of the original word "creationists" were accidentally retained, so that "creationists" became "cdesign proponentsists"

ID is absolutely creationism repackaged. And barely repackaged at that.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
The Intelligent Design stuff is just an evolved creation myth.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Intelligent design is just a way the religious insinuate god without actually having to mention him by name .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

ID is so 2004. I don't think after Judge JJ's opinion after the Dover trial that it's still a main priority for creationists. They now try different things, political maneuvers that have less to do with selling it as science and more with "freedom" and "choice"
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Star Trek theory Won2blv 10 990 June 24, 2023 at 6:53 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Scientific/objective purpose of human species, may be to replicate universes blue grey brain 6 1032 November 25, 2018 at 10:17 am
Last Post: unfogged
  Simulation Theory according to Dilbert Neo-Scholastic 110 15063 May 10, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Simulation Theory Documentary Neo-Scholastic 25 5459 August 30, 2016 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Exclamation Can you give me scientific references to mass loss during the pass over? theBorg 26 4567 August 18, 2016 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Questioning Scientific Titans ScepticOrganism 19 3057 July 1, 2016 at 11:56 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Scientific Studies IATIA 9 1830 May 11, 2016 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  New theory on how life began KUSA 19 3682 March 3, 2016 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  The scientific version of good and bad Detective L Ryuzaki 15 5090 August 31, 2015 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Scientific Adam and Eve Won2blv 52 14295 June 22, 2015 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut