Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Atheism - to die for!
Atheism - to die for!

Hi everyone, I've been an atheist for a while now. I have been involved in a range of religious followings in the past while trying to find ' the right one '. Obviously none were, hence - Atheism.
I reside in Australia and have an Anglo saxon background. Some of the religions I've looked into:
Christianity
Roman Catholocism
Buddhism
and my favorite: Scientology
In all my searching over the years (I'm 25, yes it's been a long way to a short conclusion) I found that every belief system seems to maintain support through blind ignorance (and wishful thinking).
My motivation in Atheism is to do away with this so-called god, one person at a time.
Coming soon: Banner image-link to new anti-islam forum.
RE: Atheism - to die for!
Welcome!

Did you only look into the religions you listed, or did you practice them for a time? Since you looked into most of the other major religions, is there any reason you didn't look into Islam?
Welcome TW.

So do you have a game plan? who are you gonna get rid of first? The son, the father, or the spirit?
(December 21, 2009 at 6:07 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Welcome TW.

So do you have a game plan? who are you gonna get rid of first? The son, the father, or the spirit?
Since 325 AD you can get 'm all in just one go.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
Welcome to the forums TW Smile

EvF
Thankyou all for your warm welcome.
Quote:Did you only look into the religions you listed, or did you practice them for a time? Since you looked into most of the other major religions, is there any reason you didn't look into Islam?
I practiced Christianity, then virtually cycled through the scores of literature available from other religions. Yes, I did have a look into Islam, The Koran was a split between islamic and english on top of bullshit not dissimilar to the old testament of the bible - which I've also read through. The worst part was what seemed like 120,000 word family tree beginning with Abraham's father.

Quote:So do you have a game plan? who are you gonna get rid of first? The son, the father, or the spirit?
I thought I would go about it in a logical fashion as it's sort of my style. Maybe start by replacing fantasy and irrationality with truth and reason.
Why bother? Because the average do good believer that votes in favor of destructive acts has a clear conscience and believe themself "an innocent".
(December 21, 2009 at 9:58 am)TruthWorthy Wrote: Why bother? Because the average do good believer that votes in favor of destructive acts has a clear conscience and believe themself "an innocent".

Can you give an example?
Welcome to AF.

Of all the religions you looked into, in your opinion, what was the most ridiculous?
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
(December 21, 2009 at 9:58 am)TruthWorthy Wrote: Thankyou all for your warm welcome.
Ehhhh...Welcome TruthWorthy!
(December 21, 2009 at 9:58 am)TruthWorthy Wrote: The worst part was what seemed like 120,000 word family tree beginning with Abraham's father.
Yeah, the begat part is a real pain in the ass. Possibly some tribal way to suggest authority to the works.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
Of all religions the most ridiculous was born again christianity. Fair enough that they all stink of ignorance but the born agains went after science and history. The claim the earth is 10,000 years old so dinosaurs can't be any older than that (...unless they were here before the earth was??!); nearly had me in stitches of laughter. Scientology makes some stupid arguements in trying to fuse things together that don't belong, only the delivery method is much better. I suppose brainwashing (as a science) has come a long way.

Quote:Yeah, the begat part is a real pain in the ass. Possibly some tribal way to suggest authority to the works.

It is, and stupid people buy it. Land in feudal times was inherited by the oldest son (the first heir).
Most of today's institutions were established during such times. The legal system concerned itself with marriage in this way. For example, of paternity and grounds of divorce and severance of inhereted entitlement.

Quote:TruthWorthy Wrote:
the average do good believer that votes in favor of destructive acts.

fr0d0 Wrote:
Can you give an example?
Refering to a broad catagory such as this requires a sociological approach. You only need to pay attention to the religious spin which politicians use. Why is this significant? Because a large enough percentage of the population will respond to this via voting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An introduction to die for! AtheistChurch 25 5388 March 22, 2010 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: AtheistChurch