Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Blessed" Athletes
"Blessed" Athletes
Thought I would throw this thread up in the Sports section...

Do you guys get annoyed when an athlete credit's their great performance, form or their team's success on a higher power? Typically "I am blessed to be here" or thanking their god for having a great game or performance. Personally I hate it when I hear the "Blessed" word.

As a big sports fan you hear this all the time especially in American sports. Yes a lot of high level athletes have amazing natural abilities but some have worked bloody hard to get where they are, others a combination.

Are they just being humble? Not wanting to sound full of themselves or over confident, as a way to please fans etc..

What are your thoughts?
RE: "Blessed" Athletes
I think they must thank god for every time they fail to. Just to be fair.
For a player to think that sky daddy took time out of his busy schedule watching people die of disease and kids dying of starvation. Wait... I think god was sitting in isle 5 row 23 seat 4... what a joke...
Yeah it's one of the most annoying things to me. Some sports people I think are just being genuinely humble (I can think of Daniel Sturridge who is a striker for Liverpool), others though almost seem to have to thrust their religion into the spotlight. Just a while ago I was watching a post-fight interview with Prince Naseem on youtube. He was just ranting and raving about allah. I love the guy as a boxer and he's genuinely funny, but as soon as he starts mouthing off for his god it annoys me to no end. My estimation of someone's intellect immediately goes down whenever I hear them attribute their success to their imaginary friend.
(April 6, 2014 at 8:21 am)tor Wrote: I think they must thank god for every time they fail to. Just to be fair.
Pretty much this.

If you thank god for your success, do you also blame him for your failures? If not, why not?
Yea I'm a huge sports fan and they definitely say this shit all the time. It does get very annoying.

And it's not just athletes. A lot of celebrities will thank god in acceptance speeches and whatnot. It just makes them look stupid to me.
'You notice how you never hear a football player say, "I would have scored, but that bastard Jesus tripped me up behind the line of scrimmage"?' - George Carlin

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It completely diminishes the whole competitive nature of sports. You didn't win because of your capabilities, you won because an omnipotent skydaddy predetermined the result. Guess all that time training was wasted.
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
Drives me nuts when some guy hits a home run and then points up at the sky when he crosses home plate. YOU hit the ball, motherfucker, not fucking jesus.
Jesus does have a part in baseball.. when the batter is done they store the bats in jesus HOLY HANDS!! AMEEENNNNN.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Should NCAA "Student Athletes" get paid? SteelCurtain 33 5733 March 17, 2015 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: Minimalist