Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 5:10 am

Poll: Should College Athletes be paid?
This poll is closed.
No. They get paid with a chance at an education and a chance at the Pros.
13.33%
2 13.33%
They shouldn't get paid a salary or stipend, but should be able to profit off of their own names.
13.33%
2 13.33%
They should be paid according to how much money the college makes off of them.
0%
0 0%
They should be paid like professionals.
6.67%
1 6.67%
I literally could not give 2% of a shit.
26.67%
4 26.67%
Other.
40.00%
6 40.00%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should NCAA "Student Athletes" get paid?
Question 
Should NCAA "Student Athletes" get paid?
So, after watching John Oliver this weekend, and remembering what it was like as a Division I 'student athlete' and taking 3 day seminars on the NCAA bylaws to do work for and make money for an organization that banned me from profiting from any of the extremely risky work I did for it (Not that I would have ever profited from my signature or anything like that, but still...), I'd like to see what you guys think. First, watch this:

It's John Oliver's excellent (and hilarious) take on the subject.

John Oliver, in what may be my favorite line in recent TV Wrote:[The NCAA has a] 400-odd page manual of rules. The only other thing that has that many finicky little rules would be a sex party at Wes Anderson's house. "Guests are required to wear lingerie of only a pre-war Andalusian vintage, fellatio may only be accompanied by music from The Kinks and early Cat Stevens, and condoms shall be found nestled in a small diorama of the sinking of the Lusitania." Now EVERYBODY FUCK!

The point is that for the average student athlete, (say the safety at Colorado State or the Center at Georgetown) you make a lot of money for the NCAA and your school. The coach makes millions of dollars and has multiple revenue streams. Most coaches at larger schools have basketball/football camps in the offseasons, they have radio shows and endorsements, but the students have nothing.

Shabazz Napier, last year, a basketball player on the Championship team, told the media that there are nights when he goes hungry. He is from a poor family that has no money to send him. But he cannot even go to dinner at a booster's house or eat with the coaches, because the NCAA forbids it. (They have since relaxed on the food front, but only because of this story.)

Players can get suspended if they sell things that they have signed, or game equipment, even for charity.

But the kicker is--the college can benefit from the players' autographs. They sell tickets to "Fan Days" where people come from all over to get signatures from the athletes. The NCAA sells jerseys with the players name/number on it. The player sees none of that.

Here's my take on it. It's a fucked up system. So exploitative. But college football/basketball would cease to exist as we know it. It would seriously become just a minor league shit show.

My solution is this: Pay the kids a stipend per season. Everyone gets the same stipend. Now the problem with this is that it will kill the cash sink sports. Sports like the water polo team and the gymnastics team that don't make any money for the school will have to pay their players too. So maybe there is a sliding scale based on the popularity of the sport. I don't know. But each player gets a living stipend. Enough for a semester of food and clothes. A couple of thousand. The NCAA makes billions per year on TV rights just for March Madness, much less the College Football playoffs and 75+ bowl games. They can afford that. So instead of finding ways to spend billions of dollars on bullshit in order to keep their 501(c )3 status, they can give some of it back to the players.

Players should be able to profit from their own name/image. So when EA Sports puts out a video game, the players get a cut when you profit from their image. When they sell game worn gear or signatures, they shouldn't be punished.

People say they get paid in education, well okay. I got a fantastic education from the US Naval Academy, but I wasn't a premiere athlete. My situation was vastly different from most student athletes. Most of these guys are not getting the education they are promised. They are a money machine for the university, so the university has a vested interest in making sure they are "eligible." So they minor in "Swahili" or take African American Studies to get easy A's so their GPAs will be at a good level.

Ed O'Bannon is a former NCAA athlete who found out that after 20 years the NCAA was licensing his image for a NCAA Basketball video game and not paying him. He sued and won, and that is (rightly so) why you don't see EA Sports March Madness or NCAA Football video games any more.

It's a fucked system, but college athletics would suck if high schoolers were competing for signing huge contracts.

TL : DR, should college students make money?
Vote in the poll.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
RE: Should NCAA "Student Athletes" get paid?
You left out 'get paid a salary or stipend'.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Shit. It won't let me edit the poll.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
No.

If scholar-athletes are paid, then (at least certain) students should be paid as well. After all, part of a university's reputation is because of academics, and the hard work of scholars.

I'm planning on watching SDSU vs. UConn softball tonight. Looking forward to it. But I also realize no one is making those girls play.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I wonder how much profit "the academics" generate, particularly in relation to "the memorabilia"? If we're setting assignment levels and adequate comp...I think the academics might be minimum wage earners.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I could go on for days on this topic and as I type am still not sure how I'm going to vote. Perhaps 'other'. I agree that the system is hosed.

Sports and academics. This can never be lost sight of, even if in some cases the academics part becomes a charade. I love the advertisement touting most student athletes turn professional in something other than sports. This is undeniable, but these often aren't the school's moneymakers. I suggest that for every football or basketball player drafted or signed as a free agent within a year of leaving school, the university should award some number of full scholarships to academically deserving kids that otherwise couldn't afford to go to school. Student athletes must still maintain academic eligibility.

The above scholarships should be paid for directly by the NFL or NBA. The fact that these deep pocketed organizations have de facto free developmental leagues where they have absolutely no risk is criminal.

I don't think student athletes should be paid directly in addition to their scholarship, but I think the alumni/booster involvement should be brought above board. Let them support their teams, but let the university manage allocation in providing room, board, clothing, small gifts, etc. The NFL and NBA should also contribute here, but I see their money being used more in managing facilities and medical care.

If we start trying to determine the value of individual players then the agents will enter and the circus that Steel alluded to will start to unfold. If this becomes the case then I think it would be far better to force the NFL and NBA to manage their own developmental leagues, tighten academic standards, take a short term hit to the quality of the sports, and get on with life with a little more integrity.

I forgot to mention that I think the prominent athletes should be able to earn revenue from their notoriety. We can talk about ways to control this, but if people are buying memorabilia with their name on it I think it right to develop some standard of compensation.
Colleges should worry more about educating students and do away with these bullshit sports programs.
-failing that, they ought to at least be able to file a c/d to the university regarding their image or person and any for-profit use.
(allowing any party who doesn't mind to sign an agreement, a waiver saying "hey, okay, make a few bucks it's cool" - of course)

Watch how quick a college comes to the table if you give students even the most minor of ways to shut off the spigot.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I think if something like FOIA applied to the NCAA, we would all be MORTIFIED as to the shenanigans (financial and otherwise) that are going on.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Nope.

The NCAA, PAC-10, Atlantic 10, etc. should all be essentially terminated from their current existence.

Pro football and basketball should create their own minor league systems, like baseball has.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should college sports players be paid? Brian37 13 2343 October 2, 2019 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  NCAA March Madness 2018 c172 2 377 March 11, 2018 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  "Blessed" Athletes SepirothNZ 24 3509 April 16, 2014 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist