Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Who throws the dice for you?
Who throws the dice for you?
If I roll dice, the out come of the roll is completely random to me. However If I looked at the dice roll in sufficient detail....noting the initial point of contact, velocity, angular momentum, coefficient of friction, etc. the outcome becomes predictable. It would seem then that randomness is really just a function of ignorance.

This LaPlacian view holds true until you get to the quantum level. At the quantum level events happen which physicists tell us are fundamentally random. Fundamentally random is a hard pill to swallow when randomness appears to be a function of ignorance.

So who or what is throwing the dice for you atheists?
RE: Who throws the dice for you?
Yawn, you're boring... And incoherent.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I would rather say faith / religion is a function of ignorance.
(April 11, 2014 at 8:43 am)tommynba Wrote: I would rather say faith / religion is a function of ignorance.

We are not discussing faith or religion....unless you are claiming you have faith in fundamental randomness.
(April 11, 2014 at 8:25 am)Heywood Wrote: It would seem then that randomness is really just a function of ignorance.

How peculiar and paradoxical that you have inserted an appeal to ignorance, in a sentence talking about it.

Just the possible remark I can draw from that word salad.
(April 11, 2014 at 8:46 am)LastPoet Wrote:
(April 11, 2014 at 8:25 am)Heywood Wrote: It would seem then that randomness is really just a function of ignorance.

How peculiar and paradoxical that you have inserted an appeal to ignorance, in a sentence talking about it.

Just the possible remark I can draw from that word salad.

Negative Lastpoet.

When it is said that randomness is a function of ignorance, what is meant is that the variables responsible for a result are unknown to the observer of the "random" event.
(April 11, 2014 at 8:25 am)Heywood Wrote: If I roll dice, the out come of the roll is completely random to me. However If I looked at the dice roll in sufficient detail....noting the initial point of contact, velocity, angular momentum, coefficient of friction, etc. the outcome becomes predictable. It would seem then that randomness is really just a function of ignorance.

This LaPlacian view holds true until you get to the quantum level. At the quantum level events happen which physicists tell us are fundamentally random. Fundamentally random is a hard pill to swallow when randomness appears to be a function of ignorance.

So, it seems you're asking where does the randomness of QM come from... am I right?

Have you tried reading about it, before coming here to ask us? Some of us may know about it, but most will have no in depth knowledge, nor care too much about it, hence the yawns you got.
If you do care, then please, feel free to indulge your curiosity. Here's a few links for starters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_chromodynamics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Model
(April 11, 2014 at 8:50 am)Heywood Wrote: Negative Lastpoet.

When it is said that randomness is a function of ignorance, what is meant is that the variables responsible for a result are unknown to the observer of the "random" event.

Perhaps then, its the right moment to investigate and try to find the pattern. Not just come up with an ill defined 'thing' called 'God', that can't be shown to be true anyway.
(April 11, 2014 at 8:25 am)Heywood Wrote: If I roll dice, the out come of the roll is completely random to me. However If I looked at the dice roll in sufficient detail....noting the initial point of contact, velocity, angular momentum, coefficient of friction, etc. the outcome becomes predictable. It would seem then that randomness is really just a function of ignorance.

'Who...' is begging the question; 'What...' is definitely the better way of putting it but once again, it assumes a control mechanism for the resolution of quantum events.

The simple answer is 'we don't know'. Physicists don't tell us that quantum level events are 'fundamentally random', they tell us that they haven't identified any control mechanisms therefore there's an appearance of randomness. So your point on randomness is badly formed and meaningless; I don't know you well enough to suggest if it's deliberately so...

But I'll bite: I'll go ahead and grant you a control mechanism. Please show how this would be evidence for 'god'.
Sum ergo sum
(April 11, 2014 at 8:53 am)pocaracas Wrote: So, it seems you're asking where does the randomness of QM come from... am I right?

Have you tried reading about it, before coming here to ask us? Some of us may know about it, but most will have no in depth knowledge, nor care too much about it, hence the yawns you got.
If you do care, then please, feel free to indulge your curiosity. Here's a few links for starters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_chromodynamics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Model

Quantum mechanics says nothing about where randomness comes from. In my own experience randomness is generated by a mechanisms which contains variables which are hidden from me.

But this does not appear to be the case with regard to quantum mechanics because Bell's theorem tells us there are no local hidden variables.

I think this presents a problem for atheists because they are forced to accept a view that true randomness isn't generated...it just is.

(April 11, 2014 at 8:56 am)Ben Davis Wrote: The simple answer is 'we don't know'. Physicists don't tell us that quantum level events are 'fundamentally random', they tell us that they haven't identified any control mechanisms therefore there's an appearance of randomness. So your point on randomness is badly formed and meaningless; I don't know you well enough to suggest if it's deliberately so...

This is wrong.

Bell's theorem tells us there are no local hidden variables. This two minute video explains to a certain extent.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Next Time Someone Throws That STOOPID Pascal's Wager In Your Face... BrianSoddingBoru4 2 1477 October 7, 2013 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  trancendent dice Demonaura 34 10355 March 26, 2009 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Demonaura