Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Islamism attempting to subvert education system in British City
Islamism attempting to subvert education system in British City
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bir...m-27020970

Long story short, and without going into the finer details of British education policy, there have been accusations that several inner city schools in Birmingham have had extremist Muslims attempting to subvert the schools authority be usurping head teachers (principles in america) and governors (responsible for voting on how the school is run etc) with people sympathetic to gender segregation and the teaching of Islam as basis for the school's operations.

Petty disgusting. Another key reason to ban any sort of faith related link to education, including most prominently religious schools.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Re: Islamism attempting to subvert education system in British City
Yep. I've seen this in the news. It's awful. But once again, there is only an issue in the news because it's Muslims doing it. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not okay to be doing what they're doing, but if you live in the UK, look up your local schools and you will almost certainly find that the majority of schools around you are Christian schools that will push Christianity on children to some degree, and any secular schools that are near you (if you have any at all near you) will probably be have a reputation for being shit schools. So parents have a choice between sending their kid to a Christian school, or a shit school. What kind of choice is that?

Anyway, my issue is, if people and the press can understand that it's wrong to push Islam on school children, surely they can see that it's also wrong to push Christianity on children the way we have been doing pretty much since schools have existed here? Or maybe the issue isn't with pushing religion on kids, maybe the issue is just with Islam. There is a trend in our press for singling out Islam and Muslims when they do horrible shit that other religious groups are also guilty of. I don't like it. It feels like bullying to me, because your every day Muslim you're likely to meet, work with or be friends with isn't going to be an extremist moron, but the news seems to be pushing people to think they're all dangerous. We just need to get ALL religion out of here altogether and stop picking on fucking minority groups.
RE: Islamism attempting to subvert education system in British City
(April 14, 2014 at 1:27 pm)NoraBrimstone Wrote: Yep. I've seen this in the news. It's awful. But once again, there is only an issue in the news because it's Muslims doing it. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not okay to be doing what they're doing, but if you live in the UK, look up your local schools and you will almost certainly find that the majority of schools around you are Christian schools that will push Christianity on children to some degree, and any secular schools that are near you (if you have any at all near you) will probably be have a reputation for being shit schools. So parents have a choice between sending their kid to a Christian school, or a shit school. What kind of choice is that?

Anyway, my issue is, if people and the press can understand that it's wrong to push Islam on school children, surely they can see that it's also wrong to push Christianity on children the way we have been doing pretty much since schools have existed here? Or maybe the issue isn't with pushing religion on kids, maybe the issue is just with Islam. There is a trend in our press for singling out Islam and Muslims when they do horrible shit that other religious groups are also guilty of. I don't like it. It feels like bullying to me, because your every day Muslim you're likely to meet, work with or be friends with isn't going to be an extremist moron, but the news seems to be pushing people to think they're all dangerous. We just need to get ALL religion out of here altogether and stop picking on fucking minority groups.

I guess it's an issue because the schools are mostly (but not all) based in so a called 'Islamic' communities (I hate that terminology, but I struggle to think of a different term).

I agree regarding secular schools vis religious school. I earned a place in a grammar school so I had a great secular education with kids who'd been indoctrinated into all sorts of different religions, but if it wasn't there I'd have probably ended up at a faith school, which is just so wrong.

I guess the tactics to shutting down religious schools once and for all is by raising the standards in comprehensives to be on par, which is a no brainer if you think about it, but is so difficult to achieve.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

(April 14, 2014 at 1:27 pm)NoraBrimstone Wrote: Yep. I've seen this in the news. It's awful. But once again, there is only an issue in the news because it's Muslims doing it. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not okay to be doing what they're doing, but if you live in the UK, look up your local schools and you will almost certainly find that the majority of schools around you are Christian schools that will push Christianity on children to some degree, and any secular schools that are near you (if you have any at all near you) will probably be have a reputation for being shit schools. So parents have a choice between sending their kid to a Christian school, or a shit school. What kind of choice is that?

I've found that in England Christianity effects things way more mildly than Islam and it's a double edged reason why.
For a start it's very easy and not very controversial in England to mock and make fun of Christianity without people batting an eyelid, even in the work place. Make fun of Islam on the other hand and you're likely to get fired and be made a scapegoat by politically correct people and Muslims.

The other reason is the fact Christians don't really believe in Christianity, I mean basically many of the same rules that are in the quran also apply in the bible.
The bible says to cover your hair, segregate men and women, don't eat pork, the bible even goes more extreme and says which people you should stone to death.
But I went to a christian school, no one was segregated, no one covered their hair, we could eat pork and no one was stoned to death. A few times teachers were threatened to have bricks thrown at their heads but that was nothing to do with religion. No teachers denied dinosaurs existed or anything like that.
I do think Christianity should be cut out of school just to save time, give kids an extra break time instead of teaching them about noahs ark or whatever. But I think it presents much less of a problem than Islam in general.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

If you Brits tolerate this bullshit you have no one to blame but yourselves.
(April 14, 2014 at 1:27 pm)NoraBrimstone Wrote: Yep. I've seen this in the news. It's awful. But once again, there is only an issue in the news because it's Muslims doing it.

In the U.S., creationists and fundamentalists have been doing this for many years, only at the level of school boards and municipal government. That's why you have a lot of creationist friendly policies in the south, because the people responsible for monitoring and implementing policy have been infiltrated by creation friendly people. So, it may be Muslim-centric in the UK, but the U.S. case shows that it's neither a specifically British or Muslim problem.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Agree with the above, however the difference in Britain is that religion's public face is so subdued, and the people so apathetic to it, that any religious interference in the public sector does get big headline news, although it certainly is more pronounced when 'minority' religions are involved.

But the larger issue is the fact that so called 'community' relations amongst some sectors of inner cities in Britain are at an all time low and getting lower. Nobody really cared or even thought about how migrant populations would integrate into British society, and now we all live with the consequences; British social policy working more to concentrate on what divides people over what unites them.

FWIW I think Islam is a pretty despicable and barbaric religion, and any influence it gets in,well, anything is a negative where everyone comes out a looser. But then I hold that opinion of pretty much every religion, but Islam does seem much more antagonistic in British local politics than any of the others, speaking from personal experience (I've been researching into the influence of religion in local politics in my home city for many years now, and was an assistant academic advisor to local education boards looking to review their religious education policies).

(April 14, 2014 at 1:27 pm)NoraBrimstone Wrote: if you live in the UK, look up your local schools and you will almost certainly find that the majority of schools around you are Christian schools that will push Christianity on children to some degree, and any secular schools that are near you (if you have any at all near you) will probably be have a reputation for being shit schools.

This is just wrong. Faith schools in the uk number 30%. I find that high a number to be surprising. I know the Christian population to number approximately 7% and shrinking. I know the government match the church funding, but still... how does that work for the church?

In my town there's one catholic primary school, and about 20 non faith. All of the high schools in the county (12) are non faith.

It seems the government is laying off another cost onto charities. I wholeheartedly agree with the secular societies view here. I'd be for faith schools if any bias had to be kept out of the classroom.

http://www.secularism.org.uk/faith-schools.html
I think you people are getting all worked up over nothing.

This is BIRMINGHAM, fer fuxxake. It isn't like those kids actually learn anything, any way. Sheesh.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 19, 2014 at 6:28 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I think you people are getting all worked up over nothing.

This is BIRMINGHAM, fer fuxxake. It isn't like those kids actually learn anything, any way. Sheesh.

Boru

Evidence?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Arab World before Islamism Lebneni Murtad 25 5326 March 5, 2017 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  British imam explains how Muslims should humiliate Christians mralstoner 16 3027 July 2, 2014 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Education is bad! Dragonetti 57 15424 July 19, 2013 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Pakistan: Violent mob chases Christians out of a city district Something completely different 3 1457 March 9, 2013 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Mr Islam cuts off his wifes fingers for getting an education. downbeatplumb 29 15958 December 30, 2011 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise