Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious in laws
Religious in laws
I have a problem. My husbands father is a preacher, as well as his grandfather. I try to keep relations respectful, but there are times when they out right tell me I am wrong in my beliefs, which is expected from preachers lol, but if I respond with my own reason and logic I am the one who is viewed as "starting problems" ...how do I reply to them? Or at least how do I get them to stop commenting on my beliefs (or more appropriately my lack of beliefs)?
RE: Religious in laws
(April 23, 2014 at 8:38 pm)OhZoe0922 Wrote: I have a problem. My husbands father is a preacher, as well as his grandfather. I try to keep relations respectful, but there are times when they out right tell me I am wrong in my beliefs, which is expected from preachers lol, but if I respond with my own reason and logic I am the one who is viewed as "starting problems" ...how do I reply to them? Or at least how do I get them to stop commenting on my beliefs (or more appropriately my lack of beliefs)?

I doubt you'll ever get them to stop commenting on your lack of belief in their religion - I've been an atheist for 17 years and my mother still comments on it.

Just specify that it's not just their god you don't believe in, but all the other gods they don't believe in too. Also say that if they bring it up you have the right to reply, not doing so is what sheep do and you're not a sheep.

Welcome, btw.
Dying to live, living to die.
Tell them you don't want to discuss beliefs anymore because they always get their panties in a twist.

If that doesn't work, give 'em a swift kick in the nuts every time they bring it up.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Convert to something, anything. (except what they are)

Druid, Mithraism, FLDS, Peoples Temple, whatever, is what I'm thinking.

You don't have to be any more sincere about it than the in-laws are (I'm betting they ain't Literalist Innerrent Fundies) and you can thank them profusely whenever they stop by for being persistent and getting you to investigate so many religions till you found the right one.

Wink
Beccs is probably right but FNM is more my style. It is not your job to make them feel good about being superstitious twits.

And yes, welcome. When you need a dose of sanity jump in.

I couldn't help but notice that you were terribly silent about your husband's stance on all of this.
As a man I honestly think it is your husband's duty to step in and defend you, its what I would do for my lady. It would also be the most effective action.
PM me if you know where this is from "...knees in the breeze" and don't look it up!!
Don't back down. Simply indicate how they broached the subject. If they press that you are the instigator then expect to use the following retort as they will most likely be asking for unconditional respect for their beliefs, "I respect your freedom to believe anything you wish, but I'll judge the belief on its mertis; essentially how well it conforms to reality".

There is usually a point in these encounters where somebody will claim home field advantage and try to create some rule that states the Bible and the rest of the bullshit is actually true in his/her abode. Just remember to tell them the laws of physics, as far as we know, are the same everywhere in the universe.

I have serveral more examples, but you get the point. Please don't ever back down to close relations, you will set yourself up for long term agony. I think it best, as uncomfortable as it may be, to drive the discussion to a point where [you] feel your viewpoint is respected. If they don't, keep helping them to unerstand how ridiculous they are. Ignoring strangers and getting about other business is acheivable. If you 'drop the subject' to get along with close relations like this they will smell blood in the water and you wll be miserable.
(April 23, 2014 at 10:41 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Tell them you don't want to discuss beliefs anymore because they always get their panties in a twist.

If that doesn't work, give 'em a swift kick in the nuts every time they bring it up.
Hehehe I love you now
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Mr husband is atheist as well. His way of dealing with it is to ignore it, so as not to "start arguments". I however believe strongly that Christianity and religion as a whole are propaganda and ignoring it only allows it to spread.
I think that if are so outspoken about their beliefs I have a right to be about mine, especially in situations where I'm the one being confronted lol so I do voice my opinion but I want to do it in way that can't be construed as aggressive...
(April 23, 2014 at 8:38 pm)OhZoe0922 Wrote: I have a problem. My husbands father is a preacher, as well as his grandfather. I try to keep relations respectful, but there are times when they out right tell me I am wrong in my beliefs, which is expected from preachers lol, but if I respond with my own reason and logic I am the one who is viewed as "starting problems" ...how do I reply to them? Or at least how do I get them to stop commenting on my beliefs (or more appropriately my lack of beliefs)?

Empathy.

Just reply by saying something like, 'I know you think my beliefs are wrong and I can accept you think that. I have no issues with it.'

You accept how they feel without agreeing with them. Failing that point them at the parable of the good Samaritan.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2887 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Nature's Laws Freedom4me 307 41021 May 27, 2015 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: comet
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 12774 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  UK Religious laws = Government Vs. People tehrealfake 12 3485 April 26, 2013 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: tehrealfake