Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:16 am

Poll: Will the UK ever reform it's biased Political system?
This poll is closed.
Yes (In the forseeable future)
0%
0 0%
Yes (Maybe in the distant future)
100.00%
3 100.00%
No or very Unlikely
0%
0 0%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Religious laws = Government Vs. People
UK Religious laws = Government Vs. People
So I was thinking, as a secular 14 year old attending a shamelessly extremist protestant secondary school in the UK, is it our Political leaders and representatives halting progress of a desired secularism in schools? Of course public opinion is divided however in a 2009 census 50.7% of the British public claimed they were non-religious, this just cracks a majority and of course due to the fact it is only slightly over 50% it may have changed however I'm sure everyone will agree we are no longer a Christian nation as a whole. But that's just the thing, we really are. It's confusing to me how our government refuses to respond to this huge increase in secularism throughout the nation. I first noticed this when in our school Assembly, we were made to sing a hymn (as we are every day), as usual at least 2/3 of the school either did not sing or barely sung at all. Then (as usual) one of our Dep. heads made everyone sing again, he was yet again disappointed and repeated one last time, this time most people sung just to not waste anymore time. I was p-ssed off to say the least. He had wasted our time and forced me to sing hymns that are just bullsh-t to me. I thought that maybe I should write a letter of complaint to the appropriate member of staff about what is obviously disguised mandatory prayer (they usually say we sing because it is 'good for you' which isn't true because we ALWAYS sing hymns.)

To my horror I found that mandatory prayer (which should be a human rights breach) is actually a requirement for those under 16 in schools. We literally are not allowed to opt of without our parents signed permission and even then my school wouldn't listen because they are corrupt as ****. Even you Christians ought to see that this is a complete patronization and a travesty in general... because I'm under 16 I can't make my own choices and my parent chooses what I believe? it's a disgrace. Why is this idiotic law still around? Because it would 'never get past the house of lords.' You want to know why? Because in the H.O.L there is a large group of Lords who have been instated BECAUSE they are bishops (The 'Lords Spiritual', whatever spooky shit that means), and they take complete pride in block voting against everyone's damn rights but white, right wing Christians.

I might as well move to ******* Alabama. Anyways my question is, do you think the UK will ever reform it's biased Christian political agenda, as a theocracy I doubt it will be any time soon. It's things like this that make me want to move East to Sweden or Norway when I'm 18, at least they respect peoples beliefs or lack of beliefs.

Thanks for reading my huge *** rant but I needed to get it off my chest, to name and shame, my school is Emmanuel College in Gateshead NE England. There are some interesting criticisms of it out there to say the least, as well as statements from leading scientific education advisers and Richard Dawkins himself.
RE: UK Religious laws = Government Vs. People
Tell your school administrator that you plan to spend your designated prayer time asking Yog'Sothoth to give him brain cancer.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Quote:I might as well move to ******* Alabama.

Alabama is much worse than Britain.

Welcome.
Welcome, I do remember that in primary school but i always changed the lyric to something funnier. The UK is now at least a secular nation and its about time the goverment reconisted it. Personly see it will but in the furture and we need seperation of church and state. But things look hopeful.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
Wow you go to the Emmanuel college? The one partly owned by the evangelical reg Vardy?

I feel for you man! I'll post a more in depth reply in the near future, knowing quite a lot about this specific topic.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Yeah that's right, Vardy's out of the picture now but his funding (which allowed them to operate outside of government schedules, as I'm sure you'll know) has already done its damge, great teachers for the most part, horrible Senior staff, RE and Science teachers.

P.S The Parental agreement contract couldn't be more vague, in essence it just says all the major rules (no drugs, bullying etc.) and then says we are also subject to any smaller rules. This essentially means the rules can be made up at any time.
Re: UK Religious laws = Government Vs. People
There was a Census in 2009? :/
(April 25, 2013 at 2:23 am)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: Wow you go to the Emmanuel college? The one partly owned by the evangelical reg Vardy?

Wasn't he in "on the buses"?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Dang - you beat me to it!

Now I've got the sig tune rattling round my head and no way of exorcising it.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2888 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1952 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Petition UK Government Xygov 1 629 September 27, 2021 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I like to treat religious people nice. Jeezypete 27 4354 February 6, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Any other atheists just feel an acute intolerance for religious people? WisdomOfTheTrees 93 14381 February 10, 2017 at 3:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The reason why religious people think we eat babies rado84 59 6725 December 3, 2016 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Your experiences dating religious people Casca 28 4436 October 31, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Putting "In God We trust" on government vehicles dragonman73 36 5419 May 2, 2016 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Has anyone discovered a successful way to make religious people atheist? Phosphorescent Panties 83 14341 April 12, 2016 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Nature's Laws Freedom4me 307 41034 May 27, 2015 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: comet