Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Anti-Corruption Act
The Anti-Corruption Act
Would any of my fellow U.S. citizens like to become co-sponsors of this act? You won't hear about it in the media, but it's received almost a half million signatories already.

Quote:A Real Solution to Corruption
The American Anti-Corruption Act sets a standard for local, state and federal laws that:

Stop the bribery
The Act prevents lobbyists from donating to politicians and/or offering them any deals that could influence policymaking.

End secret money
The Act mandates full transparency: disclosure of all political money and “bundlers” who gather contributions for politicians.

Answer to the voters
The Act imposes strict limits on PACs, and gives voters an annual $100 tax rebate to be spent supporting the candidate or party of their choice.

More info here.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
RE: The Anti-Corruption Act
I would prefer elections to simply be publicly-funded. No private donations to politicians of any kind.
(April 24, 2014 at 9:44 am)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: I would prefer elections to simply be publicly-funded. No private donations to politicians of any kind.

I agree so much with you, that is exactly where the corruption starts from.
And its not totally the politicians fault, how else would they get the money !
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
My first reaction was to wonder how this act will pass constitutional muster since the SC has ruled that money in the form of political donations is a protected form of speech. On the site linked in the OP there is an additional link that is supposed to present the reasons lawyers believe the proposed act is constitutional, but I couldn't get it to load. Jaysyn, can you summarize those reasons for me?
(April 24, 2014 at 10:08 am)Crossless1 Wrote: My first reaction was to wonder how this act will pass constitutional muster since the SC has ruled that money in the form of political donations is a protected form of speech. On the site linked in the OP there is an additional link that is supposed to present the reasons lawyers believe the proposed act is constitutional, but I couldn't get it to load. Jaysyn, can you summarize those reasons for me?

From the PDF that you couldn't get to load:

Quote:Constitutionality
Requiring Members of Congress to recuse themselves from taking official actions in situations in which their independence of judgment is questioned is highly likely to be found constitutional. As the Supreme Court recently held in Nevada Comm’n on Ethics v. Carrigan, 131 S. Ct. 2343 (2011), restrictions on official actions taken by legislators do not constitute restrictions on the First Amendment free speech rights of such legislators.

Since it goes on for some length & outlines the Constitutionality of each of the 11 provisions, I've uploaded the PDF to my Google Drive in the hope that it's easier for you to access.

(April 24, 2014 at 9:44 am)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: I would prefer elections to simply be publicly-funded. No private donations to politicians of any kind.

I agree & I personally contribute to the Presidential Election fund when I file my taxes for this same reason. This bill seems to be a good compromise between public & privately financed elections, however.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(April 24, 2014 at 10:27 am)Jaysyn Wrote: Since it goes on for some length & outlines the Constitutionality of each of the 11 provisions, I've uploaded the PDF to my Google Drive in the hope that it's easier for you to access.

OK, I have the PDF now. Thanks!
What people want and what they get are two different things. If it were otherwise, we wouldn't need this Act.

And don't sell this collection of corporate-criminal-loving whores on the Supreme Court, short. They are no better than the rest.
Why not make campaign donations progressively taxable?

For a presidential campaign, the first 100 million dollars is tax exempt. After 100 million dollars campaigns start paying a tax on every dollar they receive and that tax gets progressively higher and higher till at some point its at 99%.

Same goes for PACs

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anti-immigration..does Right wing still fools masses? WinterHold 106 4817 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Are you Anti-Political? Disagreeable 52 2386 April 7, 2022 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Oracle
  With All the Anti-QAnon Hate, How Come We Never Hear About Christian Zionism? Seax 21 1844 April 6, 2021 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  We The People Act onlinebiker 48 2502 March 6, 2021 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  For Americans Who are willing to act Rhizomorph13 13 918 September 21, 2020 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Anti Cop Apologist Memes The Architect Of Fate 18 1989 June 26, 2020 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Black Lives Matter is not anti racist, but pro marxist Ramus932 25 2073 June 14, 2020 at 2:10 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Is corruption mostly a good thing? FlatAssembler 26 2037 December 16, 2019 at 9:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Anti Trans And Why It Fails Amarok 78 7993 December 27, 2018 at 6:27 am
Last Post: Amarok
  "Securing America’s Election Act" Has Gotten Little To No Media Attention ReptilianPeon 20 2443 August 2, 2018 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Brian37