Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggested Rule
Suggested Rule
I would like to suggest that members are encouraged to respect one another, refrain from using foul language, and insults. If this happens repeatingly that the member be warned.
RE: Suggested Rule
Go blow jesus out your ass.
(April 27, 2014 at 10:47 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: I would like to suggest that members are encouraged to respect one another, refrain from using foul language, and insults. If this happens repeatingly that the member be warned.

Rules three and four, though those apply to useless insults and so on. We aren't in the habit of limiting the patter of the users just based on what a few of us might find unpalatable; there are some who would want bible passages forbidden too, and they'd have the same argument as you do, here.

Incidentally, I'm curious as to why, when you were asking where you'd post a suggestion like this, you quoted my debate challenge? Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(April 27, 2014 at 10:48 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Go blow jesus out your ass.

case and point
Generally, people here already are respectful to people deserving of it. Any member making personal attacks on another member gets sanctioned. If you get upset about all that other stuff, you'd most likely implode if you went out in public.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(April 27, 2014 at 10:50 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: case and point

Case in point.

I suggest a rule setting out a minimum standard for basic grammar.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
So: "I want respect but I'm only willing to go as far as to not use expletives."

Rev, the moment you start being intellectually honest, you will be treated with respect. But you have intellectually come in and shit all over our doorstep and now you refuse to clean it up, blaming us for it all the while.

Clean up your shit.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(April 27, 2014 at 10:50 pm)Revelation777 Wrote:
(April 27, 2014 at 10:48 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Go blow jesus out your ass.

case and point

And that's not a personal attack, mind you. He's basically saying your ideas are full of shit, not you necessarily. There should be no rule that says he has to respect your beliefs.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

Respect goes both ways, and don't think for a minute that just because you haven't called anyone an asshole means that you are respecting this forum. This is a discussion site, and all you do is evade and regurgitate.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
If it helps, Rev, you can name call at me all you want. I don't care.

I try not to name call unless the person really deserves it.

I reserve the right, however, to use expletives as I choose.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eliminate Automatic Insertion of Horizontal Rule Neo-Scholastic 21 3005 November 29, 2017 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Question about latest forum rule Catholic_Lady 29 4718 November 14, 2017 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Alternative to "click bait" rule: block threads robvalue 40 5941 February 6, 2017 at 1:38 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Trolling rule Excited Penguin 61 7605 November 19, 2016 at 8:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  R'lyeh rule Excited Penguin 54 5611 February 17, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Report System Abuse Rule Excited Penguin 20 3470 February 15, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  30/30 Rule Pyrrho 31 7968 February 22, 2015 at 2:21 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Am I breaking a forum rule? Something completely different 2 2215 August 20, 2013 at 11:44 am
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus
  [split] Discussion About Potential Rule Change and Staff Action Shell B 94 42679 June 2, 2012 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  A forum rule Emporion 10 5107 August 5, 2011 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Napoléon