Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suicide fantasy in Avatar?
Suicide fantasy in Avatar?
REF: http://hotair.com/greenroom/archives/200...e-fantasy/

I happen to be a big fan of Dr. Zero, so today, when I read his article dissecting the intent behind Avatar (as opposed to the effect), I realized why I left the movie feeling pretty damn pissed. It wasn't just a preach-fest to me - I realized that my anger was the same to when some self righteous moron tries to impress their views on me (religious fanatics at UCLA do that the most, hence my aggression). I do agree with Zero that Avatar is a holier than thou suicide fantasy, complete with stereotypical military-industrial complex bad guys with a company structure that mysteriously places all of the decision heavy work with a small handful of people, despite that corporations leverage hierarchies of executives, managers and division heads to plan strategy. That was not so bad, until you add in the fallacy of the Noble Savage. That irritated me. Badly.

I get that people see logic in weaving a story to rail against particular trends, but I also make the argument that Avatar blew everything out of proportion. Oh well. At least I got to see my fellow audience members be titillated while watching servicemen, whom apparently are pawns of companies, die in numerous, rip-squish-chomp ways. Maybe its just the dozens of journals and Vietnam veterans I talked to coming back to haunt me.
RE: Suicide fantasy in Avatar?
I walked out of the cinema, it was LAME.
Hmm, blue people, shooty mechs, 'splody bombs, doo dah day it was a good movie for me! I totally wanted to go cross species with that blue chick! Yeah, the tribal mother, she was feckin' hot! Maybe fiction is just fiction and the "message" behind it should be laughed at.

On a different note my mother said something along the lines of, "See those blue people believe in god." To wit I replied, "Um, if I could connect to god and my ancestors through a nerve cluster on the back of my head you better believe I would believe too!"

Just a movie guys!
Rhizo
i actualy loved Avatar when i watched it, only coz alot of the creatures looked like dragons, and the effects were AMAZING. i also loved the storyline too, and all the way through the movie, i was like "omg its about time that guy died!" pretty much my reaction to any movie i like Smile
Vampires will never hurt you.......Devil
I thought it was ok.

The whole conflict on consicence plot was strong.

The savages were a lot more noble than they were savage on this planet.
I just looked at the story and thought "Dances with Wolves".
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
My primary consort watched it... and loved it... :S So now I have to watch it Smile

Define 'savages'? And also 'Noble'? Then I might somehow understand what a 'noble savage fallacy' is?
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I'd also like to know what a "Noble Savage" fallacy is.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Great movie, i don't think it has a suiside fantasy thing happening, and find this a very strange thing to take from this movie.....ThinkingExclamation
I loved this movie and it totally reminded me of what was done to the American Indians in the U.S. I did like the Nav'is love for nature and all living things and found that their religion was very similar to that of the native americans. There is no suicide message here at least in my view and how anyone would get that is beyond me, unless you are contemplating suicide yourself. The main character fell in love with the aliens and their way of life and he had to die to become one of them. He as myself became disgusted with his species and his poeple.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Avatar time The Valkyrie 37 1592 January 4, 2022 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  My not-so-fatal Suicide. Goosebump 7 855 July 28, 2021 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Suicide among Christians purplepurpose 6 368 May 29, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New Avatar, yes or no The Valkyrie 18 1146 February 1, 2021 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  assisted suicide vs suicide prevention Catholic_Lady 130 16867 June 18, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  I have changed my avatar. You can come out now. I_am_not_mafia 9 1267 June 9, 2018 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Your barbarian/fantasy character name... The Valkyrie 40 5025 May 15, 2018 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Do you have the courage to commit suicide in case if terminal disease? Macoleco 62 9570 April 18, 2018 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A fantasy retail interaction Foxaèr 4 640 April 12, 2018 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Does it take courage or cowardice to commit suicide? ErGingerbreadMandude 35 5217 November 30, 2017 at 8:59 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist