Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you have the courage to commit suicide in case if terminal disease?
Do you have the courage to commit suicide in case if terminal disease?
As someone who does not believe to be exempt of any fate, I have always wondered if I would have the courage to commit suicide in case of a horrible disease such as terminal cancer or Alzheimer.

Suicide has always been seen as a bad thing, but is it when it is done based on a rational decision and not depression for example? As Schopenhauer said, to decide if you live or not is one of the few rights humans have.

What would you do in such situation? Wouls you bear the pain?
RE: Do you have the courage to commit suicide in case if terminal disease?
I think so. Especially if I were in a lot of pain. I would be one of those that was told it was terminal and I would kill myself and the next day they would realize they had the results wrong. Ok no not literally but I wouldn't wait around in a lot of pain deteriorating for toooo long.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
Yep. If I ever get diagnosed with ALS, I will move to Oregon or Washington state immediately.

Death with Dignity for me when I can't wipe my own ass.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
As soon as I was told I was terminal it would just be a case of saying "goodbye" to all the people I trust enough to not try to stop me. And such people would miss me so very much but they themselves wouldn't want me to suffer with no hope of survival any more than I would. The only other concern(s) would be twofold 1. Seeing if I could very quickly get enough money together to be sent to a country where euthanasia were legal. 2. If not, doing it illegally and merely being concerned with figuring out a self-imposed death less painful painful than the terminal illness.
(April 10, 2018 at 9:32 am)Hammy Wrote: As soon as I was told I was terminal it would just be a case of saying "goodbye" to all the people I trust enough to not try to stop me. And such people would miss me so very much but they themselves wouldn't want me to suffer with no hope of survival any more than I would. The only other concern(s) would be twofold 1. Seeing if I could very quickly get enough money together to be sent to a country where euthanasia were legal. 2. If not, doing it illegally and merely being concerned with figuring out a self-imposed death less painful painful than the terminal illness.

Hammy don't worry about it. If you were honestly diagnosed with something terminal and you have gotten more than one opinion and did all the necessary checks/research I would help you get where you needed to be in order to go with dignity. America is lucky in that a few states allow it and it isn't hard to go to one. It's different when your whole country doesn't allow it. I would help you and I can bet more than a few people here would help too. Stringing yourself up or overdosing is not how I'm about to let you leave the only life you have.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
(April 10, 2018 at 9:41 am)mlmooney89 Wrote:
(April 10, 2018 at 9:32 am)Hammy Wrote: As soon as I was told I was terminal it would just be a case of saying "goodbye" to all the people I trust enough to not try to stop me. And such people would miss me so very much but they themselves wouldn't want me to suffer with no hope of survival any more than I would. The only other concern(s) would be twofold 1. Seeing if I could very quickly get enough money together to be sent to a country where euthanasia were legal. 2. If not, doing it illegally and merely being concerned with figuring out a self-imposed death less painful painful than the terminal illness.

Hammy don't worry about it. If you were honestly diagnosed with something terminal and you have gotten more than one opinion and did all the necessary checks/research I would help you get where you needed to be in order to go with dignity. America is lucky in that a few states allow it and it isn't hard to go to one. It's different when your whole country doesn't allow it. I would help you and I can bet more than a few people here would help too. Stringing yourself up or overdosing is not how I'm about to let you leave the only life you have.

You're a darling.

(Notwithstanding that, of course, this is purely hypothetically and thankfully there is a 99.9999999999% this won't happen anytime soon).

I guess if we both stay in touch until we're both very elderly the chance of it happening dramatically increases Tongue
Nope.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm sure I would probably want to, but I would try not to because of personal ethics. With that being said, I do think sticking it out until the very end would take more courage than ending it early.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(April 10, 2018 at 9:55 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I'm sure I would probably want to, but I would try not to because of personal ethics. With that being said, I do think sticking it out until the very end would take more courage than ending it early.

Simply out of curiosity, is the personal ethics your individual ethic or is it because the Catholic church doesn't like it? Geez that sounds like I'm asking that in a snotty way but I swear I'm not.

I seriously contemplated suicide during a massive depression, to the point where I was physically restrained and institutionalized to stop me doing myself in, so yes - I think I could kill myself if my health was bad enough. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you still cook if you diddn't have to? Angrboda 41 2173 October 30, 2023 at 3:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  My not-so-fatal Suicide. Goosebump 7 854 July 28, 2021 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Suicide among Christians purplepurpose 6 368 May 29, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  assisted suicide vs suicide prevention Catholic_Lady 130 16862 June 18, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Does it take courage or cowardice to commit suicide? ErGingerbreadMandude 35 5217 November 30, 2017 at 8:59 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Victory( WE WON THE COURT CASE) Amarok 15 3467 April 8, 2017 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  If you have an android phone you should read this. #5 is the most shocking. ErGingerbreadMandude 7 1967 December 18, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  When your significant other threatens suicide Tangra 6 1250 December 14, 2016 at 10:42 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Buying a case for my phone Lemonvariable72 3 1215 August 14, 2015 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Suicide Shinagami 78 9284 August 12, 2015 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: Shinagami