Play "Cards Against Atheist Forums" online now!
Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: 20th July 2017, 20:26

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Science Porn
RE: Science Porn
(12th July 2017, 21:49)Whateverist Wrote: Hey, can any of our science guys tell me if this really works?  Seems surprising to me.  It is a cooling device made from plastic bottles to be hung in a window or doorway.

http://www.cleverly.me/diy-ac/

Bernoulli effect. But it relies on a breeze, and the people being sufficiently hydrated. They should also lose some clothes while they are indoors, after watching the video. Undecided  I think that I'd have to see some real world data before I'd truly believe it. I see thermometers in some pics, but I'm unconvinced.
Reply
RE: Science Porn
(12th July 2017, 23:36)Fireball Wrote:
(12th July 2017, 21:49)Whateverist Wrote: Hey, can any of our science guys tell me if this really works?  Seems surprising to me.  It is a cooling device made from plastic bottles to be hung in a window or doorway.

http://www.cleverly.me/diy-ac/

Bernoulli effect. But it relies on a breeze, and the people being sufficiently hydrated. They should also lose some clothes while they are indoors, after watching the video. Undecided  I think that I'd have to see some real world data before I'd truly believe it. I see thermometers in some pics, but I'm unconvinced.


As open as the inside is, it is hard to imagine it bringing down the temperature .. anymore than an AC unit could with the doors and windows left open.
(16th February 2017, 18:16)TheOther JoeFish Wrote: So what you're saying is that I can harass all of the members I want for the next 168 hours, as long as I do so in my signature?
Reply
RE: Science Porn
It needs to be arranged radially symmetrically in the plane of the specific galaxy so as to not warp the outer regions of the disk, or spherically symmetric to do the same.

Galaxies 'feel' the dark matters gravity and we see the effect in the rotation rate in the periphery of the specific galaxies, but not in warpage of the disk, so asymmetrical distribution above (or below) (so to speak) the median plane of the galaxy would be ruled out. If the gravity is sufficient to explain the rotation speeds we see, it would be sufficient to distort the galaxy vertically.

We see some spiral galaxies that are warped, but we generally see them interacting with another visible galactic structure in their vicinity. 2 galaxies with symmetrically distributed clouds of dark matter would not together have a symmetrical distribution while they were in close proximity as between them the dark matter halos would overlap.
The problem with 90% of the politicians is they make the other 10% look bad.
Reply
RE: Science Porn
(12th July 2017, 23:36)Fireball Wrote:
(12th July 2017, 21:49)Whateverist Wrote: Hey, can any of our science guys tell me if this really works?  Seems surprising to me.  It is a cooling device made from plastic bottles to be hung in a window or doorway.

http://www.cleverly.me/diy-ac/

Bernoulli effect. But it relies on a breeze, and the people being sufficiently hydrated. They should also lose some clothes while they are indoors, after watching the video. Undecided  I think that I'd have to see some real world data before I'd truly believe it. I see thermometers in some pics, but I'm unconvinced.

Me too. From the link:

Quote:This simple solution can cool an indoor space by more than 10º F...

10º F? I'm calling bullshit on this one. The pressure differential is just too low for the claimed effect.
Reply
RE: Science Porn
(11th July 2017, 13:48)vorlon13 Wrote: when averaged all together,  the galaxies spins 'cancel out' and the net result looks pretty close to zero.


I don't know about that.. Also perchance were you able to read the article I quoted? It talks about how Stephen Hawking agrees that this theory could be intertwined into Einstein theory as well, if proven.

Quote:In a recent study using the Giant Meterwave Radio Telescope, South African astronomers made a remarkable discovery when analyzing the alignment of the spin axis of 64 galaxies.

The orientation of the axis of rotation of active galactic nuclei are directly observable because of the long plasma jets streaming from the poles of the central supermassive black hole, with strong electromagnetic emissions in the radio frequency range. Reported in the the astrophysicist team analyzed the orientation of the radio jet position angles and found that a surprisingly large number of supermassive black holes were aligned with their axes of spin.

Statistical analysis revealed that there was a 0.1% probability of such an alignment occurring by chance strongly indicating that there is some as yet unseen force that is producing strong coherence among cosmological-scale objects. Moreover, this may imply that conditions during the earliest epochs of galactic formation deviate from complete isotropy, referring to the uniformity of the distribution of matter.

Haramein has explained the structural and geometric properties of space and matter from the smallest to the largest scale, and it is in consideration of the largest scale structure, the universe itself, that we gleam an understanding of how and why these vast arrays of galaxies are uniformly aligned in their axis of rotation. Namely, just as we have seen from indications of the “axis of evil”, “dark flow”, the great wall and great voids, the universe is not isotropic, but instead has a definite orientation.

Haramein has identified this large-scale structure as a double-toroidal counter-rotating geometry. Thus, not only are phenomena like “dark flow” and seeming accelerated expansion of space observed, but just as in the most recent discovery: strong alignment of galaxies as well. The reason for this – the uniform spin of the universe, which has a strong correlating (entangling) effect on the objects that are uniformly effected by the Coriolis forces of the spinning structure. Spin dynamics naturally produce strong coherence.

From this profound theory, we see that spin is not the result of matter accretion in the early universe, but instead it is the intrinsic spin and high curvature of spacetime that engenders gravitational accretion of matter into the structures that are observed. Since spin “came first”, we would expect there to be a remarkably high degree of correlation of the spin axes of primordial active galactic nuclei.In the paper , Haramein and Elizabeth Rauscher evaluate the inclusion of torque and Coriolis effects in Einstein’s field equations of spacetime geometry (gravity). The main result of such a consideration is that spin is an intrinsic characteristic of spacetime itself, explaining galactic formations, polar jets, accretion discs, spiral arms, and galactic halos without the need for exotic forms of dark matter constructs. Remarkably, this is an instrumental facet of a Grand Unification Theory as the torque and Coriolis effects of spacetime produce the bodies and particle interactions that are observed at the atomic and hadron scale.

Black bold and underline per moi

Source article which states sources: https://resonance.is/the-rotating-universe/
[Image: anepc.jpg]

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets.  I have come not to abolish but to fulfill.  Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place."  (Matthew 5:17 NAB)

"It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid."  (Luke 16:17 NAB)

Luke 12:51-52
51 "Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division." 52 "For from now on five members in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three"

Matthew 10:34-35
34 "Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." 35 "For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law."
Reply
RE: Science Porn
(17th July 2017, 01:52)Luckie Wrote: Source article which states sources: https://resonance.is/the-rotating-universe/


This website seems to be dedicated to the promotion of the views of one Massim Haramein whose claims concerning the wholeness of Einstein's field equations, blackholes inside protons and consciousness appear not to have impressed the professional community.
Reply
RE: Science Porn
Prepare to cream your jeans (and you ladies, feel free to do whatever is your physiological equivalent*).  Here's a Junocam flyover of Jupiter's Great Red Spot:

https://youtu.be/1zPsYP8h9EE







* and thank you so much, I do NOT need any details.  Spontaneous lactation, or something fluidic going on downstairs?  Nope, I'm fine not knowing.
The problem with 90% of the politicians is they make the other 10% look bad.
Reply
RE: Science Porn
(17th July 2017, 13:57)vorlon13 Wrote: Prepare to cream your jeans (and you ladies, feel free to do whatever is your physiological equivalent*).  Here's a Junocam flyover of Jupiter's Great Red Spot:

https://youtu.be/1zPsYP8h9EE







* and thank you so much, I do NOT need any details.  Spontaneous lactation, or something fluidic going on downstairs?  Nope, I'm fine not knowing.
Some women have squirting orgasms. Also,

Orgasmic Flush

You're welcome. Big Grin
[url=https://www.popsugar.com/love/What-Happens-During-Female-Orgasm-2966311][/url]
Reply
RE: Science Porn
Here's a good GIF:

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files...star-2.gif


What you are seeing there is from a portable telescope set up in Argentina 7/17/17 showing New Horizons target Kuiper Belt Object MU69, 4,100,000,000 miles away passing DIRECTLY between the prepositioned telescope and a very distant background star.

Each frame of the GIF (sorry, don't know how many there are in the GIF total) represents 200 milliseconds.  By the length of time the star is obscured, astronomers can deduce how large it is and that information will help plan New Horizons encounter with that distant rock.

Additionally, MU69 is still so far from New Horizons that it's best camera does not register it yet.

By having an accurate size and positional information, the New Horizons probe can accurately point it's cameras and sensors during the flyby for maximum science value. 

Additionally, if there are secondary blinks or dimmings of the background star, it would be indicative of MU69 either being a binary object, or having rings and/or satellite(s).

Also, if the dimming of the starlight is 'stepped', that is falls to a certain value, holds steady, then goes out, and then comes back at a reduced but steady amount for a bit before returning to full brightness, it is indicative of the distant star being a close binary.
The problem with 90% of the politicians is they make the other 10% look bad.
Reply
RE: Science Porn
An electric field can pull apart a millimeter-sized oil drop, causing it to shed thin rings from its equator that then break up into tiny droplets.

[Image: PhysRevLett.119.034501]


https://physics.aps.org/synopsis-for/10....119.034501
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up As porn use goes up, rape rate goes down! MountainsWinAgain 14 1844 1st June 2014, 13:46
Last Post: Dragonetti
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 4261 25th June 2013, 10:54
Last Post: Rahul
  Science Laughs: Science Comedian Brian Malow orogenicman 4 3436 10th December 2010, 12:06
Last Post: Lethe



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)