Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anti vaxers at it again?
Anti vaxers at it again?
http://thecommonsenseshow.com/2013/09/17...daughters/

http://truthaboutgardasil.org/memorial/

http://thenaturalresponse.org/the-gardis...same-fate/

Oh dear. The anti vaxers aren't content with bringing back Polio, Rhubella, Measels, Mumps, Smallpox or the Black Plague.... Now they seem to want women to suffer decades of misery due to Cervical cancer.

In support of the Gardisl programme

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2012/1...t-so-fast/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherpe...00-people/

Just what is wrong with people?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
RE: Anti vaxers at it again?
Paranoia. Ignorance. Selfishness.
Since the anti-vaccination crowd has been rebutted so many times, I wonder if it's the case that they really believe that the science is on their side or whether this is an example of True Believers clinging to their position for purely emotional reasons and out of a stubborn refusal to admit they were wrong.
Like the anti-GMO food crowd they do a lot of 'research' on the internet and with books written by idiots.
(May 16, 2014 at 12:50 am)Last Things Wrote: Like the anti-GMO food crowd they do a lot of 'research' on the internet and with books written by idiots.

Hi
Sorry I missed your introduction
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I've said it many times, and I'm outspoken, but vaccine isn't special it should be treated the same as all medicine - ie some is beneficial and some is harmful. There are examples of general meds that have been withdrawn in the past 5 years, there are examples of vaccines that have been withdrawn in the past 5 years. If medicine is a science then that means you should default to scepticism. Now I'll give an example. For me, penicillin is a great drug. It's cured my tonsillitis many times. But my own mother can't take the drug (the 100% natural fungus). I absolutely hate extremes - saying that "everyone should be vaccinated" is akin to saying "all vaccinations" ie the ones that haven't been properly tested and will be withdrawn in the future - ie the ones that "aren't right for everyone" just like penicillin isn't right for everyone.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
I suppose the qualifier is that everyone that can be vaccinated should be.

I am massively in favour of scepticism regarding any claim. However, it tends to be that the anti-vax movement actually employ very little scepticism and instead rely on arguments from ignorance and outright lies targeted at the people who will not just be sceptical of claims but also cynical.

i.e. - the MMR link to autism (which was a total fabrication) was aimed specifically at families who had children that were at the age where they would be receiving the MMR vaccination. More insidiously, it employed children who had been diagnosed as autistic at around a similar age to when they received the vaccination to create a false syllogism that they then perpetuated as stone cold fact. This has meant that billions of pounds/dollars has been spent debunking a myth, instead of funding further research into the actual causes of autism and it's potential treatments.

The entire drive by the anti-vax movement is to play on people's ignorance, and then convince them that their ignorance is founded on some sort of scientific legitimacy when in fact it couldn't be farther from the truth. Their MO is not just dangerous, it could arguably be described as totally immoral and almost evil (if one were to use such language or emotive qualifiers).
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(May 16, 2014 at 9:07 am)Aractus Wrote: I've said it many times, and I'm outspoken, but vaccine isn't special it should be treated the same as all medicine - ie some is beneficial and some is harmful. There are examples of general meds that have been withdrawn in the past 5 years, there are examples of vaccines that have been withdrawn in the past 5 years. If medicine is a science then that means you should default to scepticism. Now I'll give an example. For me, penicillin is a great drug. It's cured my tonsillitis many times. But my own mother can't take the drug (the 100% natural fungus). I absolutely hate extremes - saying that "everyone should be vaccinated" is akin to saying "all vaccinations" ie the ones that haven't been properly tested and will be withdrawn in the future - ie the ones that "aren't right for everyone" just like penicillin isn't right for everyone.

Agreed, but I don't think the contentions you're bringing up are the ones the anti-vaxers are supporting. The time to believe that a vaccine is harmful is when there's evidence that this is the case, which is the step this crowd wants to skip over in favor of emotionally charged invective and anecdotal arguments from ignorance.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gorillas pose for selfie with DR Congo anti-poaching unit Duty 21 2108 April 22, 2019 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Fuck you, anti-vaxxers bennyboy 32 3377 February 11, 2019 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Being anti social justice warrior is a catalyst for bullying behavior EruptedCarcassBloat 84 9497 October 12, 2016 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Anti-Vaxx Asshole Wakes Up Minimalist 48 4703 September 22, 2016 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Anti-Vaxxer Sympathy SmootherPebble 131 23001 October 21, 2015 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Jaxxie1181
  Anti-vac children on the line Kayenneh 10 4957 January 26, 2014 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce