Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cosmos - Rebooted
Cosmos - Rebooted
The fact that I still haven't watched last Sunday's Cosmos I think speaks volumes. Had Carl still been around and 're-launched' his own series I would have built my whole day around it!

I am lucky enough to have watched the original series when it aired in the 80's and it had a life changing effect on me.

It may be a nostalgia thing but this Cosmos seems to be nothing more than a dumbed down and pale imitation of the original and does seem to be focused on trying to convince the American public to turn away from religion rather than, as Carl's epic did, explore the mystery and wonder of the Cosmos as it actually is and the history of those who have brought us to our current understanding. And of course, it was a very personal view of Carl Sagan's own philosophy and passion.

That's not to say I dislike it as a series, in fact it's not that bad at all in its own right and of course NDT still remains one of my favourite scientists, but perhaps he should have re-launched and expanded on his superb Origins series rather than tackling something so precious as Cosmos because it hasn't quite worked.

Maybe Ann Druyan should have hosted it herself as she is perfectly competent and it was certainly have made it far more personal for people like me.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Cosmos - Rebooted
Your critisicms are fair; however, I think the significance of some of them wanes when you consider that we are not the target audience.

I am still enjoying the series despite being very familiar with the content at the level it is presented. I can't help but think that this is because I was captivated and inspired by the first when I was 10; resulting in a life long interest in science. Although I am not the target audience for the current show, I can only optimistically assume that some people, of any age, are introduced to the wonder of science as I was over 30 years ago.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Huge ring of galaxies challenges thinking on cosmos zebo-the-fat 3 434 January 12, 2024 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Still think our place in the cosmos is special? Cyberman 1 1294 October 3, 2012 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Neil Tyson's sequels to the Cosmos series by Carl Sagan passionatefool 18 8929 March 18, 2012 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  "How I Learned To Stop Worrying About the Origin of the Cosmos" orogenicman 0 1304 April 16, 2011 at 6:59 am
Last Post: orogenicman
  Cosmos may show echoes of events before Big Bang downbeatplumb 2 1530 November 28, 2010 at 10:55 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris