Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"How I Learned To Stop Worrying About the Origin of the Cosmos"
"How I Learned To Stop Worrying About the Origin of the Cosmos"
On Universes and Firing Squads
or "How I Learned To Stop Worrying About the Origin of the Cosmos"

Michael J. Hurben

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/m.../univ.html

Excerpt:

Quote:My thesis is that human knowledge of the cosmos, and in particular, knowledge of its origin, is too limited to allow any sort of demonstration that the existence of a "Designer" represents the best, or most reasonable, explanation for the existence and nature of the universe. This essay does not attempt to identify any one explanation for the observed characteristics of the universe. Instead, I aim to show that there is no basis for the conclusion that modern cosmology somehow points to the existence of some Creator.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Huge ring of galaxies challenges thinking on cosmos zebo-the-fat 3 431 January 12, 2024 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Origin of Matter RedSox 50 18583 June 13, 2017 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Alleged Weasel heroically sacrifices himself to stop LHC Alex K 18 1644 May 6, 2016 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Cosmos - Rebooted Darwinian 1 553 May 8, 2014 at 5:41 am
Last Post: Cato
  STOP THE BUS I WANT TO WEE WEE (stop time?) Mark 13:13 41 14000 January 10, 2013 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake
Video The Origin of Quantum Mechanics Cyberman 0 1034 October 15, 2012 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Still think our place in the cosmos is special? Cyberman 1 1294 October 3, 2012 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Neil Tyson's sequels to the Cosmos series by Carl Sagan passionatefool 18 8926 March 18, 2012 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Remembering Roger Boisjoly: He Tried To Stop Shuttle Challenger Launch orogenicman 2 1735 February 7, 2012 at 2:33 am
Last Post: orogenicman
  Cosmos may show echoes of events before Big Bang downbeatplumb 2 1530 November 28, 2010 at 10:55 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris