Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 12:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas, Again
Texas, Again
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/09/te...or-pledge/

Quote:Texas school violates high court ruling by suspending teen who won’t stand for pledge

Quote:In 1943, the Supreme Court — in the case of West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette — ruled that persons may not be compelled to stand and observe the pledge, writing, “If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein.”

The school principal has not responded to requests for comment.

Odd for a state whose governor has endorsed secession.... again.
RE: Texas, Again
Wow, I didn't think they still did that pledge. More surprised it has not been ruled unconstitutional or had the god section removed from it.
(May 9, 2014 at 1:14 pm)Elskidor Wrote: More surprised it has not been ruled unconstitutional or had the god section removed from it.

Removed? They *added* it in 1954 after the Barnette case Min quoted.
That doesn't mean it shouldn't be removed now though.
In my opinion it sounds better without it
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
The whole concept of 'pledging allegiance' should be tossed in the trash bin of history.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(May 9, 2014 at 1:29 pm)Elskidor Wrote: That doesn't mean it shouldn't be removed now though.

I don't disagree - but asking Congress to remove it is probably not going to happen.
Sadly, you're probably right.
(May 9, 2014 at 2:07 pm)Tonus Wrote: The whole concept of 'pledging allegiance' should be tossed in the trash bin of history.

This - and to do it daily smacks of patriotic indoctrination. Personally, I swore an oath when I entered the military, and I'll be damned if I'll say any damn pledge or swear any damn oath again because some asshat thinks I should.
So by not standing up at the pledge, you're...protesting the current government?
But its not for me to question the logic of others, especially when they are Americans who have no real sense of a nation, and very vague national symbols.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Texas Law could circumvent Roe V. Wade Cecelia 55 4398 September 29, 2021 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Voting Machines Switching Votes in Texas ReptilianPeon 5 941 October 31, 2018 at 8:24 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Oh Texas! Thump, how do you bear it? Whateverist 15 1593 August 24, 2016 at 10:56 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Texas looks to follow UK's example T.J. 173 14964 June 28, 2016 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Texas Judge orders wedding? Spooky 18 4286 August 11, 2015 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Court Is Messing With Texas, Again Minimalist 1 936 June 29, 2015 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Louisiana. As Stupid As Texas But More Humid Minimalist 5 1330 May 9, 2015 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Court Smacks Anti-Women, Jesus-Freak, Texas Bastards In The Teeth Minimalist 3 1477 September 1, 2014 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Ah, Texas Minimalist 2 883 June 10, 2014 at 5:36 pm
Last Post: Nine
  Texas Will Have To Double Down to Keep Its Lead Minimalist 21 3808 April 10, 2014 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Lek