Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using the arguments against actual infinites against theists
Using the arguments against actual infinites against theists
You've probably heard about the arguments against infinity by many theologians, the funny thing is, this actually refutes their own god.

I will first start off by pointing out that since god is omniscience, he would know absolutely everything, so this means he would have to have infinite knowledge. We know from quantum physics that there are essentially an infinite amount of possibilities. With the many world interpretation of quantum mechanics for example, there is an infinite amount of possible states which are all actualized. So, if god existed, he would have to know all of these infinite states to be omniscient, thus god's knowledge would have to be infinite.

So the next time a theist tries to point out that infinites cannot be actualized, say they are cutting off the branch they are sitting on. Well, if infinities can't exist, then god can't be infinitely powerful or have infinite knowledge.
RE: Using the arguments against actual infinites against theists
(May 10, 2014 at 1:25 am)Freedom of thought Wrote: I will first start off by pointing out that since god is omniscience, he would know absolutely everything, so this means he would have to have infinite knowledge.

Only if you think God's knowledge is propositional, I think. Further, apologists often distinguish a qualitative infinity from a quantitative one. They might say something like God is omnipotent/infinitely powerful because there is no possible world where he or any other being has power greater than he does.

Quote:We know from quantum physics that there are essentially an infinite amount of possibilities. With the many world interpretation of quantum mechanics for example, there is an infinite amount of possible states which are all actualized. So, if god existed, he would have to know all of these infinite states to be omniscient, thus god's knowledge would have to be infinite.

Under MWI, there are an unlimited amount of universes, not an infinite amount.

Quote:So the next time a theist tries to point out that infinites cannot be actualized, say they are cutting off the branch they are sitting on. Well, if infinities can't exist, then god can't be infinitely powerful or have infinite knowledge.

I agree what you're trying to get at, just not your examples.

Oh, and a mathematician I know has a book on this. Just search for "Dot Dot Dot: Infinity and God" on Amazon (that's not te exact title). It's pretty interesting. Smile
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
(May 10, 2014 at 1:37 am)MindForgedManacle Wrote:
(May 10, 2014 at 1:25 am)Freedom of thought Wrote: I will first start off by pointing out that since god is omniscience, he would know absolutely everything, so this means he would have to have infinite knowledge.

Only if you think God's knowledge is propositional, I think. Further, apologists often distinguish a qualitative infinity from a quantitative one. They might say something like God is omnipotent/infinitely powerful because there is no possible world where he or any other being has power greater than he does.

Quote:We know from quantum physics that there are essentially an infinite amount of possibilities. With the many world interpretation of quantum mechanics for example, there is an infinite amount of possible states which are all actualized. So, if god existed, he would have to know all of these infinite states to be omniscient, thus god's knowledge would have to be infinite.

Under MWI, there are an unlimited amount of universes, not an infinite amount.

Quote:So the next time a theist tries to point out that infinites cannot be actualized, say they are cutting off the branch they are sitting on. Well, if infinities can't exist, then god can't be infinitely powerful or have infinite knowledge.

I agree what you're trying to get at, just not your examples.

Oh, and a mathematician I know has a book on this. Just search for "Dot Dot Dot: Infinity and God" on Amazon (that's not te exact title). It's pretty interesting. Smile

You said pretty much what my examples were trying to point out.

"We know from quantum physics that there are essentially an infinite amount of possibilities. With the many world interpretation of quantum mechanics for example, there is an infinite amount of possible states which are all actualized."

If the many worlds interpretation is correct, all possible states will be continually actualized into the future, since there are infinite possible configurations of the universe that would mean an infinite amount of different states. But if you continue this process into infinity all states will be actualized; That is only if the many worlds interpretation is correct I'm pretty sure. But what we do know for sure is that there is definitely an infinite amount of 'possible' states from physics. If god is all knowing, he must know all the possible states in order to be omniscient, but that doesn't mean all states are actualized.
(May 11, 2014 at 12:45 am)Freedom of thought Wrote: You said pretty much what my examples were trying to point out.

"We know from quantum physics that there are essentially an infinite amount of possibilities. With the many world interpretation of quantum mechanics for example, there is an infinite amount of possible states which are all actualized."

If the many worlds interpretation is correct, all possible states will be continually actualized into the future, since there are infinite possible configurations of the universe that would mean an infinite amount of different states. But if you continue this process into infinity all states will be actualized; That is only if the many worlds interpretation is correct I'm pretty sure. But what we do know for sure is that there is definitely an infinite amount of 'possible' states from physics. If god is all knowing, he must know all the possible states in order to be omniscient, but that doesn't mean all states are actualized.

You actually indirectly make the point I was making. "Infinity" and "unlimited" are similar, yet distinct, concepts. As you see in your own post, the MWI interpretation has worlds branching off and causally decohering from each other (if I under it correctly). Hence, this is a process. Now, you say that if you continue this process "into infinity, all possible states will be actualized". The problem is that since infinity isn't ever "reached", all states are never actualized. All that really happens is that more states are continually actualized since there is no upper bound so far as we know. But there's the difference between unlimited and infinity: the former denotes no limit, the latter denotes being unending. If you don't see the difference, consider this:

Say I have a normal sized bathtub that's filled. Now, let's say my bathtub is basically magic and so even if you take water out of it, the amount of water in it never decreases. Clearly, I have an unlimited amount of water, but do I have an infinite amount? Of course not, there's always a definite, finite amount of water in my magic tub at one point, and the same for the amount of worlds in the MWI.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
(May 13, 2014 at 11:30 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote:
(May 11, 2014 at 12:45 am)Freedom of thought Wrote: You said pretty much what my examples were trying to point out.

You actually indirectly make the point I was making. "Infinity" and "unlimited" are similar, yet distinct, concepts. As you see in your own post, the MWI interpretation has worlds branching off and causally decohering from each other (if I under it correctly). Hence, this is a process. Now, you say that if you continue this process "into infinity, all possible states will be actualized". The problem is that since infinity isn't ever "reached", all states are never actualized. All that really happens is that more states are continually actualized since there is no upper bound so far as we know. But there's the difference between unlimited and infinity: the former denotes no limit, the latter denotes being unending. If you don't see the difference, consider this:

Say I have a normal sized bathtub that's filled. Now, let's say my bathtub is basically magic and so even if you take water out of it, the amount of water in it never decreases. Clearly, I have an unlimited amount of water, but do I have an infinite amount? Of course not, there's always a definite, finite amount of water in my magic tub at one point, and the same for the amount of worlds in the MWI.

I agree. Infinity isn't actualized, because it would require and infinite amount of time; and as you know with time, it takes time. In theory though, there are infinite possible states, and therefore god would need infinite knowledge.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Arguments (Certainty vs. Probability) JAG 12 979 October 8, 2020 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 2779 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 17928 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments? vulcanlogician 223 28819 April 9, 2018 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Actual Infinity in Reality? SteveII 478 65022 March 6, 2018 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 68395 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 42421 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Actual infinities. Jehanne 48 9380 October 18, 2017 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Succubus
  Valid Arguments for God (soundness disputed) Mystic 17 2084 March 25, 2017 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: brewer
  William Craig's problem with actual infinities. Jehanne 11 2385 February 2, 2016 at 12:12 am
Last Post: GrandizerII