Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baptising aliens
Baptising aliens
Quote:Pope Francis has said that he would be willing to baptise aliens if they came to the Vatican, asking “who are we to close doors” to anyone - even Martians.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...60632.html

So he'd baptise aliens, but not cats or dogs? What's the difference in the Church's eyes? Why do aliens and humans get souls but not every other species on Earth?

Not that aliens would be stupid enough to get baptised by Catholics or anything.
RE: Baptising aliens
(May 13, 2014 at 8:52 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Not that aliens would be stupid enough to get baptised by Catholics or anything.

We do not know that for certain. Other intelligent life in the universe may not be so intelligent. The fact that we have not seen them yet may not be a favor in their intelligence so much as in their underdevelopment. We have this notion that aliens are supposed to be technologically advanced geniuses, and I would not be surprised if the stereotype is just that.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(May 13, 2014 at 8:54 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: We do not know that for certain. Other intelligent life in the universe may not be so intelligent. The fact that we have not seen them yet may not be a favor in their intelligence so much as in their underdevelopment. We have this notion that aliens are supposed to be technologically advanced geniuses, and I would not be surprised if the stereotype is just that.

Well sure, we can't know for sure. But I'd bet that if they could travel light-years to reach us, they might be a bit above the whole religious cult bullshit. If they even think in any way that it comparable to ourselves.
Baptising aliens
(May 13, 2014 at 8:54 pm)Kitanetos Wrote:
(May 13, 2014 at 8:52 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Not that aliens would be stupid enough to get baptised by Catholics or anything.

We do not know that for certain. Other intelligent life in the universe may not be so intelligent. The fact that we have not seen them yet may not be a favor in their intelligence so much as in their underdevelopment. We have this notion that aliens are supposed to be technologically advanced geniuses, and I would not be surprised if the stereotype is just that.

In b4 the "Piggies" in Ender's Game references.
Come at me, Mr. Pope. You make me very angry indeed!

[Image: marvin_the_martian1.jpg]
Dying to live, living to die.
I heard he had said something like this.
Despite how....um, 'weird'... this whole story sounded, the only thing I found myself focusing on was the idea that "Baptizing Aliens" would make a great grunge or art-rock band name.
I'm sure he just wants to know where their kids are.
I think that would be insulting to any alien.
Baptising aliens
I'm surprised no one has suggested we take a moment of silence for HR Geiger in all this.

After all, he invented the original baptized Aliens.
Sure, Catholic Church would be so oblivious as to attempt cultural imperialism upon aliens that are statistically likely to be as far ahead of us evolutionarily, sociologically and technologically as we are ahead of the ameba.

Baptize aliens indeed.

The only thing this pope got right is "if the alien wants, neither god nor the church would be in any position to say no".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hypothetical Question for Christians (involving aliens) Tiberius 26 3350 June 7, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Reason why aliens coming here will want to kill us Fake Messiah 20 6186 October 11, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Ken Ham: "Stop sciencing, astrophysicists! Aliens are hellbound!" Esquilax 69 12024 August 1, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why Ancient Aliens is far more plausible than Christianity FreeTony 30 4792 July 27, 2014 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Christians and Space Aliens KUSA 4 1440 February 15, 2014 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: truthBtold