Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ex-Muslim
Ex-Muslim
Hello everyone,
This is my first post and I really wanted to share my experience with everyone.

I am an ex-Muslim man who was born and raised in Egypt and came to finish my college education in the United States. I have lived in USA for the past four years and I can't really put a date on when exactly I started identifying myself as an Atheist but it was a slow process.

I come from a religious family that put a lot on emphasis on religion. I haven't been praying regularly except for a very small period of my life but I always considered this as a "fault" and i should be working towards praying five times a day. My mom is more religious than my dad and she believes in establishing the "Muslim Ummah" and all of that stuff. My sister is about twenty years old and doesn't wear the scarf and my Mom is giving her a lot of hard times.

About two years ago, I took a college class called "Logic & Critical Thinking" which really made me think differently about everything I see in front of me. I couldn't even listen to a song without counting the logic fallacies anymore (Logicians will relate!). You can imagine how that started affecting my ability to just passively listen to the Qur’an. I usually just let it recite in the background when I am in my room (Mishary Alafasy; he does have a good voice!). I didn’t like a lot of what I heard anymore and I started having a lot of issues in the Text. The false miracles of the creation of an embryo, the two seas that never mix, the galaxies and the orbits, and many more seemed to me like just people trying to fit science into religion which is really just like trying to fit a square into a circle then claim that it works!
That was in the Qur’an itself…. don’t even get me started on the Haddith. I think there’s no such thing as moderate Islam, it is just people finding a way to label themselves as Muslim and yet ignore all the faults in their Religion.
RE: Ex-Muslim
Welcome to our little madhouse progamz!

An ex-Muslim perspective should be interesting. We could always use help calling out the faithful's bullshit; especially from an ex-"insider".

Now, since you are religion free, may I interest you in a shiny New Religion?!? What would it take to get you to believe in the FSM TODAY?!? Become a pastafarian! See the world! (restrictions apply, cost born by believer, may result in loss of hair and scalp).

The FSM is waiting....
Welcome aboard! Are your planning to stay in the US after college?
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
Perhaps it was the will of allah that you become an atheist?

Welcome.
Hello. Hope you enjoy the forum.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
(May 19, 2014 at 12:38 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Perhaps it was the will of allah that you become an atheist?

For sooth I received the justification for my atheism by divine revelation.
Welcome.
I hope you can stay a while.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
Hey, welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your story with us! Smile
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Thanks for the warm welcome! I am already a big fan of FSM FSM Grin and I loved how they view Muhammad(PBUH) as Muhammad(Parmesan Be Upon Him !!!)

I am planning to stay in the US and currently looking for a job.
Quote:(Parmesan Be Upon Him !!!)

Don't forget the prosciutto.
Welcome we do not have many ex Muslims here. We get the odd Muslim nut job but for some reason they do not seem to last.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Ex-muslim and the truth about islam Methamphetamine 9 998 August 21, 2023 at 11:19 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Ex-Muslim Ucaslog1 23 4742 May 7, 2013 at 7:52 am
Last Post: Ucaslog1
  Why I am not a Muslim anymore! Zamario 5 4779 October 29, 2010 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Jonah