Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death Penalty
Death Penalty
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/...ric-chair/

Quote:Republican Gov. Bill Haslam signed a bill into law Thursday allowing the state to electrocute death row inmates in the event prisons are unable to obtain the drugs, which have become more and more scarce following a European-led boycott of drug sales for executions.

Tennessee is the first state to enact a law to reintroduce the electric chair without giving prisoners an option, said Richard Dieter, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center, a Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit organization that opposes executions and tracks the issue.

I disagree with the death penalty in the first place, it's my opinion that lex talionis solves nothing, but this is just... sickening.

Opinions?
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
RE: Death Penalty
I'm pro death penalty, but never mandatory, and only under federal jurisdiction. As well, I am annoyed that so much thought it put into the method. These elaborate methods have created a lot of sickos. I'd rather the DP be administered just by single gunshot. Hard to have hanging over your head, but easy in the end.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
How about duct tape to the breathing orifices?
Folks whose pre capital crime personal creed allowed capital punishment (for others) have an inalienable first amendment right to capital punishment for their own crime(s).

I am aware my take on the 1st amendment is not common.

John Waters notes capital punishment should be treated as the criminal equivalent of an Emmy or an Oscar. Interesting to contemplate an America where criminals (and their lawyers) compete for a limited number of execution slots . . . .
From what I've read, the phenobarbitol they use for the lethal injection is made in Denmark, where they are staunchly anti-death penalty. They decided to stop manufacturing the drug, and the recipe is proprietary, so no one else knows how. A company in Germany makes propofol, but won't sell it for execution.

There is so much that's fucked up about this:

1. States are experimenting with different drugs, and it's taking people ages to actually die. This is definitely cruel and unusual.
2. Some states are so pro-death penalty, they're ok with the above point.
3. Some states are so pro-death penalty, they're willing to bring back forms of execution that have been ruled "cruel and unusual".

I'm staunchly against the death penalty. In his time as governor of Texas, Rick Perry has overseen more than 275 executions. It's estimated that over 4% of prisoners on death row are actually innocent, which means Rick Perry has killed approximately 11 innocent people.

(May 24, 2014 at 5:26 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Folks whose pre capital crime personal creed allowed capital punishment (for others) have an inalienable first amendment right to capital punishment for their own crime(s).

I am aware my take on the 1st amendment is not common.

John Waters notes capital punishment should be treated as the criminal equivalent of an Emmy or an Oscar. Interesting to contemplate an America where criminals (and their lawyers) compete for a limited number of execution slots . . . .

John Waters has a fucked-up mind. I love him so much!
They could save a step if they just embalmed them alive. After the laughing gas of course.
(May 24, 2014 at 4:50 pm)Starvald Demelain Wrote: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/...ric-chair/

Quote:Republican Gov. Bill Haslam signed a bill into law Thursday allowing the state to electrocute death row inmates in the event prisons are unable to obtain the drugs, which have become more and more scarce following a European-led boycott of drug sales for executions.

Tennessee is the first state to enact a law to reintroduce the electric chair without giving prisoners an option, said Richard Dieter, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center, a Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit organization that opposes executions and tracks the issue.

I disagree with the death penalty in the first place, it's my opinion that lex talionis solves nothing, but this is just... sickening.

Opinions?

I agree, this is utterly freakish. It bothers me more than a little that an otherwise civilized country feels such a desperate need to kill criminals that they want to have alternate methods ready to hand.

I'm on your side - the death penalty is always wrong. To electrocute people because you can't poison them is just wronger than wrong.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Death penalty just doesn't bother me, but I would prefer to keep it fast, cheap and painless. If I committed a terrible crime that gave me either life in prison or death, I would so pick death, and skip all those 7, 9 or 11 painfully long years sitting on death row. If I'm sentenced to death then deliver it to me as fast as possible, even within that week. I think the death penalty, if anything, is a short cut for the criminal, but it also saves the tax payer money. Everyone wins. The guillotine seems cheaper and faster than lethal injection, so why not just use that? I'm not trying to be insensitive to the poor soul that is on death row, but I really don't understand the big deal here and I'm a liberal...I guess I just disagree with the tradition anti-death penalty liberal stance on it.
Because you can't unexecute an innocent man, you dumbfuck.

It is more expensive to allow attempts at proving innocence or mitigating factors.

Revoke that and you've made it even worse.

Fuck you.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(May 24, 2014 at 7:34 pm)Elskidor Wrote: Death penalty just doesn't bother me, but I would prefer to keep it fast, cheap and painless. If I committed a terrible crime that gave me either life in prison or death, I would so pick death, and skip all those 7, 9 or 11 painfully long years sitting on death row. If I'm sentenced to death then deliver it to me as fast as possible, even within that week. I think the death penalty, if anything, is a short cut for the criminal, but it also saves the tax payer money. Everyone wins. The guillotine seems cheaper and faster than lethal injection, so why not just use that? I'm not trying to be insensitive to the poor soul that is on death row, but I really don't understand the big deal here and I'm a liberal...I guess I just disagree with the tradition anti-death penalty liberal stance on it.

Actually, I've read that (in the US, at least) it costs quite a bit more to execute someone that to keep them locked up for life.

Boru

(May 24, 2014 at 7:34 pm)Elskidor Wrote: Death penalty just doesn't bother me, but I would prefer to keep it fast, cheap and painless. If I committed a terrible crime that gave me either life in prison or death, I would so pick death, and skip all those 7, 9 or 11 painfully long years sitting on death row. If I'm sentenced to death then deliver it to me as fast as possible, even within that week. I think the death penalty, if anything, is a short cut for the criminal, but it also saves the tax payer money. Everyone wins. The guillotine seems cheaper and faster than lethal injection, so why not just use that? I'm not trying to be insensitive to the poor soul that is on death row, but I really don't understand the big deal here and I'm a liberal...I guess I just disagree with the tradition anti-death penalty liberal stance on it.

But suppose for the moment that you have NOT committed that terrible crime - you were deliberately framed, or the cops or witnesses made an honest mistake. Perhaps the jury was tainted, or the judge didn't like you looks. Wouldn't you, as an innocent man, prefer a system wherein significant time is built into an appeals process, to give you a chance to prove your innocence?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The death penalty makes no sense. Jehanne 213 14869 August 17, 2018 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The UN votes to abolish the death penalty. Jehanne 11 1585 December 28, 2016 at 7:10 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  The death penalty .. lifesagift 84 11484 November 9, 2014 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Chad32