Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God's love protects us from the disasters he sends.
God's love protects us from the disasters he sends.
A lot of Christian apologists, when talking about the anthropic principle, like to point out how "perfectly in-tune" everything is for humanity's existence. For example; how the Earth's atmosphere and magnetic field act as a perfect shield from the Sun's deadly radiation. Everything from how the human body is designed to fight off deadly infections, to how Jupiter's immense gravity attracts asteroids that would otherwise hit the Earth.

Reminds me of someone who would send a swarm of killer bees after you, but only after he's given you a can of bug repellent.

Clearly, he loves his creation so much, that he's willing to design us with safety features that protect us from all the bad things that are trying to kill us.... Which he also designed...? Thinking

Sounds like infinite love to me.
“Avoidable human misery is more often caused not so much by stupidity as by ignorance, particularly our ignorance about ourselves.” - Carl Sagan, The Demon Haunted World: Science As A Candle In The Dark
RE: God's love protects us from the disasters he sends.
At last, I get to use this in proper discussion:

[Image: betty-bowers_serial-killer1_040714.jpg]
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Quote:to how Jupiter's immense gravity attracts asteroids that would otherwise hit the Earth.

Fucker couldn't even do that right.
Must have been an LGBT parade in California.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Quote:God's love protects us from the disasters he sends.

Erm...if God loves us enough to protect us from disasters (which he doesn't - ask any dead villager buried under a mud slide), what is the point of God sending the disasters in the first place?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
[Image: r_t.JPG]

"And thank you for sending Lisa to protect us from the bug you sent."
“Avoidable human misery is more often caused not so much by stupidity as by ignorance, particularly our ignorance about ourselves.” - Carl Sagan, The Demon Haunted World: Science As A Candle In The Dark
If God tipped his hand that way, belief would count for nothing, people would know.

First actual God that turns up and doesn't play the invisible spook believe in me game and actually openly walks among us doing flipping miracles (making the meat at Taco John look normal, resurrecting Juice Newtons music career, stuff like that), be it Zeus, Yahweh, FSM, or that obscure pig god Captain Bligh believed in, I don't care, I'm turning in my time here and signing up.

(May 30, 2014 at 4:07 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:to how Jupiter's immense gravity attracts asteroids that would otherwise hit the Earth.
Fucker couldn't even do that right.
That was just a warning shot.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
he expanded the heavens because he needed more room. why do you guys always diss Yahweh? don't you know he's omnipotent? that's very potent for those of you left unaware.
I hate the bible. I love that do as thy whilst stuff.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] The love of a God zwanzig 31 2395 October 22, 2021 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  God doesn't love you-or does He? yragnitup 24 4827 January 24, 2019 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  Love of God vs love of a woman Mystic 51 5532 September 26, 2018 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Can God love? Angrboda 292 40187 July 16, 2018 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Why don't Christians admire/LOVE SATAN instead of the biblical God? ProgrammingGodJordan 18 3597 January 21, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19367 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  God is Love Zidneya 14 2496 September 15, 2014 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  Theists: Why do you love God? Welsh cake 152 65512 January 5, 2012 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Warranty information uses God to explain natural disasters? superstarr 10 4683 July 18, 2010 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  U.S. Faith based organization sends solar-powered Bibles to Haiti Eilonnwy 23 5815 January 20, 2010 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist