Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warranty information uses God to explain natural disasters?
Warranty information uses God to explain natural disasters?
"Further, the warranty does not cover: Acts of God such as fire, flood, hurricanes and tornadoes"

We just bought a Fan and this sentence was in the warranty paper. I can't believe that they actually say that God is the cause for fires, floods, hurricanes, and tornadoes. And that's on a warranty paper. What do you all think about it?
RE: Warranty information uses God to explain natural disasters?
what if someone who was clearly not a god set your fan on fire? would that still be an act of God?
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
(July 18, 2010 at 6:21 pm)Cego_Colher Wrote: what if someone who was clearly not a god set your fan on fire? would that still be an act of God?

Lol. I'm gonna guess a Christian typed that warranty. Because if it was a normal person, it'll be something like :
"Further, the warranty does not cover: fires, floods, hurricanes or tornadoes." Or something on the lines of that.
Oh dear me, the ignorance is overpowering in this corner.

Acts of God is a traditional legal term to describe what you might call acts of nature.

It is used today for consistency - and for the fact that lawyers and law change very, very, very, very slowly when it comes to procedure, precedent, etc,.

It does not mean a Christian wrote the warranty - merely a lawyer wrote it.
This just proves that there are a lot of really batshit insane people in the world.

I wonder though, if your fan did catch on fire, would they make you prove that god did it? You would truly be a fucked monkey then.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
Wow. Couldn't they have just said "acts of nature" then, instead of saying "acts of God." They could have made much fewer people angry.
I can't stand the "acts of god" bullshit. He takes the credit for everything.
Like when that young boy who survived the aircrash. The only survivor and they called it a "miracle". So what do they call all those who didn't survive? "Non-miracle"?

God is a faggot. Tongue
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(July 18, 2010 at 7:29 pm)Rhage Wrote: This just proves that there are a lot of really batshit insane people in the world.

I wonder though, if your fan did catch on fire, would they make you prove that god did it? You would truly be a fucked monkey then.
No, you're misinterpreting it completely. Acts of God is an old, old legal term meaning things that happen in nature. And no, unless a bolt of lightning struck and set your fan on fire, it is not an act of god (nature).

This really is not a hard concept to grasp. Like the phrase "Goddamnit" doesn't mean "Oh Lord, I beseech thyself to damn thee to hell" colloquially as much as it means more of "I am annoyed".

You know how gay no longer implies happy and carefree, but homosexual? Language changes by common usage. And some language does not change.

(July 18, 2010 at 7:31 pm)Nitsuj Wrote: Wow. Couldn't they have just said "acts of nature" then, instead of saying "acts of God." They could have made much fewer people angry.

They could throw out centuries of legal definitions, get sued, have an expensive case, only to have a judge look at them and say "Why did you not use the correct legal term?"

Be real.
People never heard of the term "Act of God". I agree with Synackaon on this subject. You can't be offended by every usage of God in everything. It gets kind of ridiculous to think that way. I can't believe people freak out over that term used.
(July 18, 2010 at 8:34 pm)Synackaon Wrote:
(July 18, 2010 at 7:29 pm)Rhage Wrote: This just proves that there are a lot of really batshit insane people in the world.

No, you're misinterpreting it completely. Acts of God is an old, old legal term meaning things that happen in nature. And no, unless a bolt of lightning struck and set your fan on fire, it is not an act of god (nature).

This really is not a hard concept to grasp. Like the phrase "Goddamnit" doesn't mean "Oh Lord, I beseech thyself to damn thee to hell" colloquially as much as it means more of "I am annoyed".

You know how gay no longer implies happy and carefree, but homosexual? Language changes by common usage. And some language does not change.

Syn, I know that. I was just being facetious. It's a little something I do from time to time.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can you explain the miracle of the Holy Fire? Thracian 42 10893 April 23, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Explain this, theists Foxaèr 58 11980 April 23, 2018 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  If someone says science can't explain everything what's the best way to repond? ReptilianPeon 94 13253 December 14, 2016 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Information always arises from intelligence goombah111 39 4555 October 31, 2016 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Atheism is as natural as religion, study suggests zebo-the-fat 9 2138 February 23, 2016 at 3:11 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Violence is the Natural conclusion of Religion. Spooky 34 5961 March 17, 2015 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19405 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Information on failed prophecy KUSA 9 1794 June 26, 2014 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  God's love protects us from the disasters he sends. topher 13 3288 May 31, 2014 at 6:04 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  how does christianity explain the inequality of quality of life? leodeo 12 3799 November 8, 2013 at 9:34 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut