Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indian Myth buster can't go back to india because of catholic persecution.
Indian Myth buster can't go back to india because of catholic persecution.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26815298

Quote:But in 2012, four years after his televised encounter with the fakir, a steady drip of water from the toe of a statue of Christ genuinely did, he believes, put his life in danger.

Immediately hailed as a miracle, hundreds of Catholic devotees and other curious residents flocked to the shrine in a nondescript Mumbai suburb to watch the hypnotic drip. Some even drank the droplets.

Drops of water on the toes of the statue
Edamaruku was challenged to investigate and so he went to the site with an engineer friend and traced the source of the drip backwards. Moisture on the wall the statue was mounted on seemed to come from an overflowing drain, which was in turn fed by a pipe that issued from a nearby toilet.

The "miracle" was simply bad plumbing, he said.

It was then that the situation turned ugly.

They can just arrest me without a warrant and keep me in prison for a long time”

Sanal Edamaruku
He presented his case in a febrile live television debate with representatives of Catholic lobby groups, while outside the studio a threatening crowd bearing sticks had gathered. He claims they were hired thugs.

For some Catholics the veracity of the miracle is no longer the point. Edamaruku, they say, insulted the Catholic church, by alleging the church manufactured the miracle to make money, by claiming the church was anti-science and even casting doubt over the miracle that ensured Mother Theresa's sainthood.

In the following weeks, three police stations in Mumbai took up blasphemy cases filed against him by Catholic groups under the notorious Section 295a of India's colonial-era penal code.

Section 295a was enacted in 1927 to curb hate speech in a restless colony bristling with religious and communal tensions. It makes "deliberate and malicious" speech insulting to religion punishable with up to three years in prison and a fine. However, some say it is frequently abused to suppress free speech.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Indian Myth buster can't go back to india because of catholic persecution.
Quote: Edamaruku, they say, insulted the Catholic church,

Shouldn't he get a medal for that?
The dumb asses were drinking toilet water.

I am not too surprised...
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
(June 3, 2014 at 12:42 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Shouldn't he get a medal for that?
Looks like they want to attach it to his forehead.

It's mind-boggling to see what religious indoctrination does to people. They're incensed that this guy wrecked their fantasy. You know, the one where god makes a fucking statue's toe drip water? Because if that's not a sign from the almighty creator, I just don't know what is!
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
[Image: brawndo_thermos_can_cooler.jpg?color=Sta...quare=true]
Quote: They're incensed that this guy wrecked their fantasy.

Shit. That's my goal in life. Telling idiots that they live in a fantasy land.
(June 3, 2014 at 12:50 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Shit. That's my goal in life. Telling idiots that they live in a fantasy land.

Heh. Just make sure to watch your back if you're ever in Moronville, India.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
There are two places on earth that I have no desire to see. One is the whole fucking Middle East.... the other is fucking India.
I've been following this story for a while.

It's amazing what these religious idiots can get away with.
Dying to live, living to die.
Even in India, drinking toilet water can't be a good thing . . .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good exists - a Catholic comments Barry 619 35645 October 30, 2023 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
Tongue Scrupulosity - a Catholic disorder ? Bucky Ball 2 359 July 27, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Catholic Church against Cesarean section Fake Messiah 24 4017 August 14, 2021 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1450 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic churches profit under COVID PPP brewer 19 1383 February 23, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic Bishops statement on Biden. brewer 9 793 January 25, 2021 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2551 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2210 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Adam & Eve Myth - Origins Gwaithmir 125 13613 July 13, 2019 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Catholic Church has a prayer app zebo-the-fat 5 653 January 21, 2019 at 11:00 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat