Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good exists - a Catholic comments
Good exists - a Catholic comments
Hi,
I’ve just joined this forum. 
I see a lot of discussion about religion and Jesus and being saved.  I think that in a forum for atheists the most important question is “Does God exist?”. Jesus Christ is irrelevant if he isn’t the Son of God. And all other religious faiths are meaningless if our world occurred by accident with no creator God. 
So how did the world begin? 
My answer is that science proves nothing can be created from nothing in our material world, so the only explanation is that something external created the world. And that is what we call God. The problem for humankind is that they don’t want to feel responsible to God, despite knowing in their hearts God exists. 
Cheers Barry
RE: Good exists - a Catholic comments
Bullshit!
(August 18, 2023 at 5:34 pm)no one Wrote: Bullshit!
So what’s your explanation for the creation of the world? 
Cheers Barry
I don't need one.

Just becuse silly little hoomans can't explain something, does not mean it was magic.

A thousand years ago, nobody had any explanation for why volcanoes erupted, or why earthquakes occured, guess what, it was never magic.
Welcome to the forum.

I did my time in the Catholic Church and schools. They weren't able to sell me their story. Too many things make no sense...I looked for it to make sense, I wanted it to make sense...you can have it; if you are able to deal with the hypocrisy.

The Church was so bad that it ruined my attempts to find another flavor of church because I thought you had to belong to one. Nope, that ship had sailed.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(August 18, 2023 at 5:15 pm)Barry Wrote: My answer is that science proves nothing can be created from nothing in our material world, so the only explanation is that something external created the world.

Was there nothing as an initial condition?  That is the first question, you know.
(August 18, 2023 at 5:54 pm)no one Wrote: I don't need one.

Just becuse silly little hoomans can't explain something, does not mean it was magic.

A thousand years ago, nobody had any explanation for why volcanoes erupted, or why earthquakes occured, guess what, it was never magic.

Hi
I accept you don’t believe in God. But You admit not being able to explain how the world exists. Fair enough. 
If you have no answers it seems rather unfair to say that belief in God is “bullshit”. 
Cheers Barry
(August 18, 2023 at 5:49 pm)Barry Wrote:
(August 18, 2023 at 5:34 pm)no one Wrote: Bullshit!
So what’s your explanation for the creation of the world?

I refuse to accept your premise that there was a "creation" of the world.

There are strict conservation laws, which point to something existing across the entire domain of time.
(August 18, 2023 at 5:59 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Welcome to the forum.

I did my time in the Catholic Church and schools.  They weren't able to sell me their story.  Too many things make no sense...I looked for it to make sense, I wanted it to make sense...you can have it; if you are able to deal with the hypocrisy.  

The Church was so bad that it ruined my attempts to find another flavor of church because I thought you had to belong to one.  Nope, that ship had sailed.
Thanks for the welcome. I also “did my time” in Catholic schools. I think they did a terrible job “selling me their story” too.
It’s no wonder that only 10% max of baptised Catholics in Australia where I live and  Europe attend the weekly Mass. it’s fast heading towards 5% which is 1% of the Australian population. I attended a few big evangelical churches , just to observe, and found them very shallow and money focussed. 
I think the Catholic Church is the one true church. And has all the answers, unpopular as they may be in an increasingly secular world. But they are not very good at explaining them today.
All the best,
Barry
(August 18, 2023 at 5:15 pm)Barry Wrote: Hi,
I’ve just joined this forum. 
I see a lot of discussion about religion and Jesus and being saved.  I think that in a forum for atheists the most important question is “Does God exist?”. Jesus Christ is irrelevant if he isn’t the Son of God. And all other religious faiths are meaningless if our world occurred by accident with no creator God. 
So how did the world begin? 
My answer is that science proves nothing can be created from nothing in our material world, so the only explanation is that something external created the world. And that is what we call God. The problem for humankind is that they don’t want to feel responsible to God, despite knowing in their hearts God exists. 
Cheers Barry

Welcome to the forum, Barry.

Science doesn’t prove that ‘nothing can be created from nothing’, just the opposite - virtual particle pop into existence with comforting regularity. Additionally, there are several cosmological theories that posit the universe coming from nothing. You might try reading about scientists have to say on the subject.

‘God created the universe’ isn’t an explanation, it’s merely as assertion. If you think God created the universe, that’s fine, but you should frame it as an explanation before demanding that of others.

Good luck (you’ll need it).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Scrupulosity - a Catholic disorder ? Bucky Ball 2 359 July 27, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Catholic Church against Cesarean section Fake Messiah 24 4017 August 14, 2021 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1450 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic churches profit under COVID PPP brewer 19 1384 February 23, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic Bishops statement on Biden. brewer 9 794 January 25, 2021 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2551 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2210 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Catholic Church has a prayer app zebo-the-fat 5 653 January 21, 2019 at 11:00 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  German Catholic Priests Abused More Than 3,600 Kids Fake Messiah 17 2134 September 14, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Far right Catholic group worried about being banned. Jehanne 14 1964 August 24, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire