Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introducing myself
Smile 
Introducing myself
Hello all,

I must admit that I did not browse this forum one bit before registering and deciding to submit my introduction here. I hope that the community is great as I haven't done my research beforehand!

I was born in California to my father, an electrical engineer, and my mother, a stay-at-home-mom. Now I live in Indianapolis and am studying Computer Science with a minor in Mathematics.

I'm an atheist but have a very religious father and a very religious girlfriend. My father keeps his views to himself and remains very tolerant of the views of others. I wish to be the same way. My girlfriend on the other hand, does not seem to be so tolerant. At times, I feel that I will want to enjoy conversations that aren't interspersed with ludicrous affection for some imaginary being. My closest friends offer intellectual conversation, but it becomes addictive when you really get into it.

That is why I'm here. I hope to join you all in discussion topics, debates, what have you and hear your opinions on things that likely concern us all deeply.

Doug
RE: Introducing myself
Hello. Hope you enjoy the forum.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
(June 8, 2014 at 4:31 pm)thedouglenz Wrote: Hello all,

I must admit that I did not browse this forum one bit before registering and deciding to submit my introduction here. I hope that the community is great as I haven't done my research beforehand!

I was born in California to my father, an electrical engineer, and my mother, a stay-at-home-mom. Now I live in Indianapolis and am studying Computer Science with a minor in Mathematics.

I'm an atheist but have a very religious father and a very religious girlfriend. My father keeps his views to himself and remains very tolerant of the views of others. I wish to be the same way. My girlfriend on the other hand, does not seem to be so tolerant. At times, I feel that I will want to enjoy conversations that aren't interspersed with ludicrous affection for some imaginary being. My closest friends offer intellectual conversation, but it becomes addictive when you really get into it.

That is why I'm here. I hope to join you all in discussion topics, debates, what have you and hear your opinions on things that likely concern us all deeply.

Doug

Welcome.

As anywhere we have our share of theists, but benign and ridiculous. You'll see the ones I mean when you've explored the board enough.

Hope you enjoy the madhouse.
Dying to live, living to die.
If you can handle a religious girlfriend, that is on you. I would warn however, if you decide to have kids, things can or most likely will get messy as to how to raise them.

A little advice from someone who has been married and divorced, even outside the issue of religion. There is something to be said about being on the same page with someone. Minor differences are ok, huge differences can be a problem, no matter how much you might love them.

My problem with my x wasn't politics or religion. My problem was that I was ready to park myself somewhere and plant roots. She however being 9 years younger still had some things she wanted to do and was not ready to park herself.

So even if you can get along on the issue of religion, there still are going to be other things you need to discuss to make sure the differences are not so bad it causes you problems. I am not saying don't be her boyfriend, but think ahead. Nothing wrong with love, but also you should be pragmatic about it.
Welcome Smile
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Welcome to the party bro.
Welcome aboard.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Welcome
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
G'day Doug, welcome to the forum Smile

Hope you stick around.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Letter to Myself scamper 8 1021 October 14, 2022 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  I never introduced myself shadow 14 3619 July 23, 2017 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Allow me to introduce myself. I bring a gift for everyone. Adrian Ferrer 18 2147 March 26, 2017 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  introducing myself BehindTheGnoll 14 1531 January 18, 2017 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  New member introducing herself HHK 24 4378 July 18, 2016 at 9:46 am
Last Post: brewer
  Introducing Meee! Panatheist 15 2569 March 13, 2016 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  From Jesus to just Myself Wrikudoro 13 3297 February 8, 2016 at 3:04 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Myself John Algar 17 2350 September 9, 2015 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  I guess I should introduce myself cocunningham 26 3811 May 31, 2015 at 12:49 am
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Introducing myself Fortruth 15 2741 November 23, 2014 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Aractus