Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howdy
Howdy
Hey folks, I know I've already posted a couple of times but I might as well properly introduce myself.

I'm Vox, and I'm a twenty year old male Religious studies student in the United Kingdom.

I'm...Honestly not quite sure what I should classify myself as faith wise. I was raised as a Catholic, but I've since been forced to reconsider and eventually reject a number of their teachings.

Some of my family are fairly devout, a number of them are Catholic priests and nuns within although neither of my parents were especially religious, but much to their surprise and delight of some of my other relatives I'm sure I took a very keen interest in religion. I was fascinated by what a powerful and influential force it could be in the world. It can lead to some of the most unbelievable acts of charity, mercy and has inspired many of the worlds most impressive works of art, yet at the same time can just as easily be used to command genocide and tyrannize the masses. I can't say I was a weekly attender, but I did attend more often than not and eventually ended up running a number of Church youth groups.

I probably would have remained ignorant and continued to follow what I had it not actually been for one thing. Long story short one of the younger teens in the group I ran (I was 18) came out to me as gay, he hadn't told anyone else and wanted advice (He actually thought he was going to hell, and was scared witless about it).

Being the good little Catholic boy I was I did what I had been told to do and spoke to the priest on the quiet (nice guy really, bit surprised at how liberal some of his views are, wouldn't ever say them in public mind). He gave me a bunch of links to Catholic Gay ministries and told me to revise up and explain in simpler terms what was expected of the kid (i.e: Less limp wrist and more butch behavior).

I'll be honest, what I read was a total crock of shit, and even then in my more devoted days I could see it didn't make any sense at all. Sure, it wasn't as bad as the "pray the gay away" ministries but the basic message was "Being alone and suffering is good, it's repentance, your gayness is an affliction from satan ect ect obey or burn, it's a curse". Some of it even made me laugh, even I knew playing on the football team wasn't going to magically turn a gay straight. It just seemed to encourage them to mentally torture themselves.

it sounds silly now, but that was like something snapped for me. I knew as far as the Church was concerned "homosexuality was a sin" but prior I didn't really know how they handled it, hell I didn't even know any in my little perfect bubble world. For all I knew they could have had six heads and spewed glitter but even I could see then how they proposed "treating" them was wrong. I didn't go along with it, and I encouraged the kid to go to his parents, spill and accept that was just part of who he was. The parents seemed fine with it, and I resigned soon after before they got the chance to sack me.

After that I got really into Theology and Apologetics, not so much to argue my faith but more just to see what was actually taught and why (and boy did I learn a lot; makes me wonder what I was actually taught about what we believed in as a kid). The deeper I went the more things like infallibility and that Natural family planning (i.e: contraception that's not really contraception-contraception) sounded stupid and contradictory.

That said, while my belief in many doctrines of the Catholic Church has evaporated, I think I'm far away from being an Athiest. If there is anything my studies have shown me it's that while the approach and understanding can vary, pretty much every recorded civilization on earth has had some sort of awareness in their life of something "more". It's not always an afterlife, or even the belief in a anthropomorphized deity but there is a similarity in all of their conclusions; there is more to the universe that meets the senses.

That thinking could just be my upbringing influencing me, but alongside a few experiences of my own...I don't know how to describe it, prayers answered (they seemed to me at least), some events just being too much to be coincidences..Perhaps its gut instinct, but I do believe in a single, benevolent deity. More than that, I am inclined to believe that deity is Jesus.

Do I think the bible is the inerrant word of God? No, don't be silly. It's just a collection of books, a few of many recounting what people claimed Jesus said that were cherrypicked to make the bible and uphold one cannon view (and boy, look how that failed). It's useful certainly, but anyone who believes Adam and Eve was a literal couple or that Noah had millions of animals on a glorified raft is an imbecile. Times move on, and morality and knowledge of the world develops too. Back then we didn't know how the world was formed so we took a wild guess, now we know better. Some portions of the Bible are relevant today, others are from a bygone age.

Obviously like all Theists I cannot prove there is a God, I can only rely my personal feelings on the matter and say from my experiences how ever cherrypicked and erratic they themselves might seem. I don't bother to preach, it seems pretty pointless and I think a good degree of doctrine (how can we know what Mohammeds "nature" was? Does it matter?) borders on meaningless. Most world religions can manage the basic things that matter like "murder is bad" even if their followers don't always practice it. So long as it's not bothering anyone else, it's none of my business.

Well, thats enough from me. Hope to stick around a while and learn a few more things!

Vox
RE: Howdy
Hiyas. I appreciate and respect your forthright nature, and look forward to reading more of your thoughts. It's a nice thing to see a believer who is not beholden to dogma or preaching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X_Ot0k4XJc

Welcome
(June 11, 2014 at 5:34 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Hiyas. I appreciate and respect your forthright nature, and look forward to reading more of your thoughts. It's a nice thing to see a believer who is not beholden to dogma or preaching.

Thanks! Yeah, well...I just go with what seems to make sense in my mind after review and research, can't speak for anyone else. What else can ya really do? Big Grin

(June 11, 2014 at 5:41 pm)ShaMan Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X_Ot0k4XJc

Welcome

Cheers! Tongue
Welcome, OP Smile

I wonder: why are you inclined to think the One True Deity is Jesus? I don't want to get into it too much here; it's the Intro forum, but how could it be Jesus when there's no proof or even real evidence pointing to even his existence, let alone his divinity?

Maybe you could start a new thread about that...
If you don't believe in the teachings of the bible then why do you call your deity Jesus?
(June 11, 2014 at 6:06 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: Welcome, OP Smile

I wonder: why are you inclined to think the One True Deity is Jesus? I don't want to get into it too much here; it's the Intro forum, but how could it be Jesus when there's no proof or even real evidence pointing to even his existence, let alone his divinity?

Hey there!

Well...I do belive Jesus did exist, I'm happy to go into it on another thread or something but long story short with the following he whipped up there must have been a real powerful charismatic individual behind it. There's also reports from the Roman administration in Judah at the time which does seem to acknowledge a preacher causing a good deal of trouble during the time frame Jesus is believed to have held his ministry.

Could just be habit as well, willing to admit that.

(June 11, 2014 at 6:08 pm)KUSA Wrote: If you don't believe in the teachings of the bible then why do you call your deity Jesus?

Because the bible is not the be all and end all of the teachings of Jesus, even devout Catholics and Orthodox will admit that. Even they place other things like Christian tradition far higher above scripture in value and worth.

I think some portions of the Bible, paticually Jesus's parables are very insightful. I do also knowledge that while some things might have been acceptable for the time (like slavery), times moved on since then. Abolishing slavery or giving women the vote would have been a truly radical concept then, far too much to handle all at once but not now. At least that seems to be the best way I can explain it at the moment.

The bible itself wasn't written by Jesus either, there's hundreds if not thousands of "Gospels" floating around from the first century that didn't make it into the Bible.
(June 11, 2014 at 6:22 pm)Vox Wrote:
(June 11, 2014 at 6:06 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: Welcome, OP Smile

Hey there!

Well...I do belive Jesus did exist, I'm happy to go into it on another thread or something but long story short with the following he whipped up there must have been a real powerful charismatic individual behind it. There's also reports from the Roman administration in Judah at the time which does seem to acknowledge a preacher causing a good deal of trouble during the time frame Jesus is believed to have held his ministry.

Could just be habit as well, willing to admit that.

Thanks for answering. I would very much like to see you start a thread about evidence for Jesus' existence and divinity, if you're so inclined Smile
Welcome
(June 11, 2014 at 6:41 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: I would very much like to see you start a thread about evidence for Jesus' existence and divinity, if you're so inclined Smile
(partial quote)
I too would like to see such a thread created by the OP - if you're so inclined Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Howdy Munch 19 1219 May 2, 2019 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Howdy Icy 23 2168 July 22, 2018 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Howdy Imaginaryfriendless 35 4959 July 22, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Howdy from Texas! brian1570 71 7222 September 8, 2015 at 1:22 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Howdy! thehedglin 15 2481 August 30, 2015 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: MTL