Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gerry Conlon Dies
Gerry Conlon Dies
The man at the centre of one of the more glaring examples of what is euphemistically called 'British justice' has snuffed it.

Fifteen fucking years. I did just seven months, can't imagine fifteen YEARS.

Gerry Conlon Dies At Age 60

Good on yer, Gerry, for never giving up or giving in.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Gerry Conlon Dies
Quote:Mr Conlon's father, Giuseppe, was jailed later that year.

Giuseppe? Giuseppe??

Something seems a tad off.
Not really. Giuseppe's grandparents were Italian - it was a family name.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 21, 2014 at 7:10 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The man at the centre of one of the more glaring examples of what is euphemistically called 'British justice' has snuffed it.

You embrace him as if he had seen the inside of Kilmainham.
(June 21, 2014 at 8:15 pm)Cato Wrote:
(June 21, 2014 at 7:10 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The man at the centre of one of the more glaring examples of what is euphemistically called 'British justice' has snuffed it.

You embrace him as if he had seen the inside of Kilmainham.

No, I embrace him as an innocent man jailed for a crime he did not commit. He wasn't a patch on the rebels who did time in Kilmainham, but no one - even a petty thief like Conlon - deserves to be jailed on trumped-up charges and falsified evidence.

Boru

Boru
For what?
[Image: thfrog.gif]

(June 22, 2014 at 1:19 am)Sejanus Wrote:

Boru
For what?

For buying a pint for a man whose brother was suspected of paramilitary activity. I was never formally charged, never brought to trial. The legal language used to lock me up was 'suspicion of associating with an illegal organisation.' It doesn't compare with what happened to the Guilford Four, but I wasn't allowed mail or contact with my family or legal assistance.

The saddest thing is that this was, at the time, all perfectly legal.

Boru
(June 22, 2014 at 7:34 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 22, 2014 at 1:19 am)Sejanus Wrote: For what?

For buying a pint for a man whose brother was suspected of paramilitary activity. I was never formally charged, never brought to trial. The legal language used to lock me up was 'suspicion of associating with an illegal organisation.' It doesn't compare with what happened to the Guilford Four, but I wasn't allowed mail or contact with my family or legal assistance.

Boru
That's fucking ridiculous.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

Did he know who did do the bombings? At least O.J. Simpson promised to look for the killers.

It seems to me that this guy merely got off because the police evidence retained was somewhat impeached, not because there is any evidence of actual innocence. (Of course I've not researched this any, just implied from the two articles I read.) He could have been guilty as sin and just got off on poor police work, nothing to be happy about. Men died in that bombing.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
(June 23, 2014 at 7:29 am)Brakeman Wrote: Did he know who did do the bombings? At least O.J. Simpson promised to look for the killers.

It seems to me that this guy merely got off because the police evidence retained was somewhat impeached, not because there is any evidence of actual innocence. (Of course I've not researched this any, just implied from the two articles I read.) He could have been guilty as sin and just got off on poor police work, nothing to be happy about. Men died in that bombing.

The Guilford Four wouldn't have been convicted if the peelers hadn't fabricated some of the evidence and suppressed the rest.

Since you, by your own admission, '...have not researched this any...', perhaps it'd be a good idea to shut your gob about it until you have.

Boru

(June 23, 2014 at 4:32 am)Sejanus Wrote:
(June 22, 2014 at 7:34 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: For buying a pint for a man whose brother was suspected of paramilitary activity. I was never formally charged, never brought to trial. The legal language used to lock me up was 'suspicion of associating with an illegal organisation.' It doesn't compare with what happened to the Guilford Four, but I wasn't allowed mail or contact with my family or legal assistance.

Boru
That's fucking ridiculous.

Agreed. Aside from the somewhat cavalier abrogation of my human rights, I wasn't badly treated.

For the record, I'm not alone in this. The RUC have long had a habit of locking people up on a whim - sometimes, an Irish surname is all it takes. I understand things are better now.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Last French Survivor of D-Day Leon Gautier dies at the age of 100 (Monday July 3rd) Leonardo17 0 356 July 8, 2023 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Black female Dr. dies of covid. Treatment in question. brewer 2 424 December 30, 2020 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  First person cured of HIV dies of cancer Foxaèr 1 453 October 1, 2020 at 9:09 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Mythbusters Grant Imahara dies. Brian37 17 811 July 14, 2020 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: AniKoferBo
  Mad Mike Hughes dies The Valkyrie 41 2312 February 29, 2020 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Art Neville Dies chimp3 5 510 July 22, 2019 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Paul Krassner Dies! chimp3 1 253 July 22, 2019 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Leon Redbone dies today! chimp3 5 723 June 2, 2019 at 2:52 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  American Dies on Mt Everest onlinebiker 44 3876 May 29, 2019 at 8:35 pm