Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 2:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I joined a Christian forum...
So I joined a Christian forum...
So after my latest shameful confrontation with my brother (outlined here: http://atheistforums.org/thread-26883.html), which I still feel bad about, I decided I wanted to make a concerted effort to connect with people more, specifically of the religious variety (most of the population, so probably a good place to start). My brother accused me of intolerance and I take that charge seriously since I think intolerance is one of the poisons of the faith. Anyway, I joined worthychristianforums.com to try and understand Christians better, to foster more civilized discussion in myself (knowing I could get banned for "cussing" is a good way to keep my ass in line), and to perhaps form a common ground by which we can work together for the betterment of the world.

Holy fuck, your future Paradise Garden Graduates© make my brother look like Einstein. Not only that, they're ridiculously condescending and arrogant. This doesn't apply to all of them, of course, but a great many whom I've already interacted with.

Here's some posts, seriously. This one is titled "Absolute PROOF Jesus is God by knowing helicopters exactly described i" (sic). Apparently, the imagery in the Book of Revelation is meant to be understood as military helicopters. No. SERIOUSLY.

Another, titled "TROLLS," brought forth this little nugget of wisdom from a member: "If I may add? ...

Trolls are also people who need Jesus. We should pray for them too."

To which another replied: "They probably need prayer even MORE than most. I totally agree."

Jesus, I can see why Christians come here. In my thread, "Children and Religion," in which I am trying to understand if Christians encourage their children to seek opposing views, my worst suspicions of the pernicious close-mindedness wrought by religion are repeatedly confirmed:

"Teaching a child about hell having effects? I was taught about hell when I was about four years old from my grandfather preaching in a church. It has had no effects that are negative on me, therefore I must say the whole claim that teaching developing children about hell has effects.... well, that claim is pretty bogus. In fact, it soumds to me as another plot to persecute the faith."

!!!

"are we able to question scripture? i've never met anyone who didn't question scripture. most feel guilty about it. i don't... but i do want you to understand that even when i question scripture, i've never doubted God."

!!!

"Pickup shonuff, I cannot replyby quote sometimes due to limited software capabilities.

first of all I have never doubted my faith. I have heard The Almighty speak, more than once. And no, I was not on any drugs."

Holy fuck, I could go on but you catch my drift, I'm sure. Christians, are your fellow congregants at church generally this credulous? How the fuck could a person maintain their sanity around that!? (On a side note, a few have been very pleasant and appear to possess some intelligence. A few.)
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: So I joined a Christian forum...
This thread has delicious potential.
Join this one.
http://www.christianforumsite.com
Christian forums are merely havens for ignorance and twenty-four-seven kissing jesus' butt.

I doubt I could last past the introduction thread before being banned, because theists tend to be quite intolerant of any opposing viewpoints on their forums.

They only tend to think they are brilliant in what they post because their fellow theists are patting them on the back for everything they mention. It is rather ridiculous. The post can be the most nonsensical drivel comprised of absolute unreason, yet as long as it mentions jesus or praying for the unbelievers, it might as well be to them the best literature ever written.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(June 22, 2014 at 4:21 pm)KUSA Wrote: Join this one.

You'd better tell me this one is exponentially better because I CANNOT handle another forum like the one I've joined.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
You have to take on the role and identity of a Christian protagonist to survive in them forums. You have to have acting skills. An Atheist should be able to act more Christian than a Christian.

If you can do this you can take calculated jabs and have fun.

(June 22, 2014 at 4:27 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:
(June 22, 2014 at 4:21 pm)KUSA Wrote: Join this one.

You'd better tell me this one is exponentially better because I CANNOT handle another forum like the one I've joined.

I don't know about better. It's just that I read there a lot and it would be fun to see your posts there.
(June 22, 2014 at 4:29 pm)KUSA Wrote: You have to take on the role and identity of a Christian protagonist to survive in them forums. You have to have acting skills. An Atheist should be able to act more Christian than a Christian.

If you can do this you can take calculated jabs and have fun.

That's what I joined this forum to do! Smile (Well, and learn). But I honestly only joined the Christian forum to try and relate to their mindset better, and hopefully, my brother eventually... I don't think it will be a successful endeavor.
Yes, I encountered insanity such as this when I used to go to a Christian Forum.

THere's some real insanity involved with these people.
Dying to live, living to die.
Join and say you are a Christian. Get established by praying for some lost souls in need and spew out some jebus loving bullshit.

After that start to throw out some reason at them without taking it too far. It really trips them up.
I posted on the William Land Craig website http://www.reasonablefaith.org/forums/ for a while. Got to be too annoying. On the plus side I was able to join and participate as an open atheist. Downside: so much resentment and stupidity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 87413 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  how to get kicked off a christian forum Drich 61 8266 April 30, 2020 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: no one
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7329 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6293 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  Former Atheist, (now a Christian) who led to the first Dawkin's Forum site closing. CoxRox 21 6330 October 13, 2011 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: salty