Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there people you CANNOT discuss religion with?
Are there people you CANNOT discuss religion with?
Over the years, my brother and I have discussed different topics of philosophy and religion many times, some of these have been interesting and constructive...but the last dozen or more times have devolved into nothing but stupid non- sequiturs, straw-men, ad hoc, misinformed accusations, etc. I pretty much learned NOT to discuss religion with him, because I find his ideas unintelligible and he finds mine "implausible."

Yesterday, we hung out, got to talking (by his initiative) about some different topics...talked for a few hours, all good. That's when I should have ended it. Somehow he kept bringing up theistic buzz words like "soul" "determinism," "globs of matter," no moral responsibility," "no free will," and I don't want to bore you with the details, but basically kept throwing the same nonsense at me that I see refuted here everyday, but he does so with an arrogance that is cringe-worthy. I'm ashamed to say, it turned into another big waste of time involving a lot of silly name-calling (although I don't feel bad for calling his views "bulllshit" or "unintelligent") and I asked myself again, "WHY even TRY talking with people like that about religion?" And he's my brother, so it kinda sucks that this always happens and I have to feel that way towards him.

But his ideas, which he thinks are absolutely brilliant, ARE SO FUCKING DUMB! And anyone who researches these things objectively (that is, doubting your science, thinking it could ALL be wrong, and doubting your religion, thinking that could ALL be wrong...heh, good luck with that) SHOULD see that. That's how I think, ya know?

Ok, I got that out, so: are there friends or relatives that you will NOT discuss religion with because it always leads to nowhere good?
RE: Are there people you CANNOT discuss religion with?
MMmmm, not really. I do discuss it with my kids quite a lot but they are all mini-atheists they think religion is one big hoot. So there is nothing we can argue about really.
But in any case, if someone told me in the course of a day that they hold religious views (as sometimes happens) I just say OK and leave it at that. I don't give them a chance to start telling me why. I consider it's like them telling me what they do in bed or whatever- I don't need or want to know.
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it
Yes, much of my family (almost all of whom are Catholic) or my wife's family (also Christian). They know I'm an atheist, but beyond that the subject is never discussed - except for whisperings at some functions which I ignore. You'd think I was a murderer.

My friends wouldn't be my friends if I couldn't discuss things with them, unfortunately I'm stuck with the family I have. Big Grin
Sure there are. I can't discuss religion with Mom, because she is convinced that somewhere deep in my heart I believe in her god. If we start, she won't let go of that.

I have several Evangelical friends who I simply have to stop, because that there might not be a God is not something they want to hear.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
My brother became Mormon a little over 20 years ago. At first it was no big deal, but after my mother joined the cult about a decade ago things changed. The timing could be coincidence, but he then started religious based conversation just to ask "why is reason considered superior to revelation" when I started handing him his ass. Things progressively got worse in that conversations were consumed with religion. Eventually it got to the point where we've had two strained conversations in the last two years.

I don't like the current situation, but have concluded there is nothing much I can do about it. I won't let the bullshit go unchecked and my attempts to make the subject taboo somehow translate, in his mind, to my tacit approval of his beliefs. Before our estrangement, he quit letting me talk to my niece and nephews. I can only hope that they will reach out to me when they come of age. My niece graduates next year; her three brothers follow in three year intervals. We'll see.

I hate it for you. I know exactly what you're dealing with, but I hesitate to give advice that might only serve to aggravate the situation. You can choose friends, not family; however, there is something particularly sad when someone you grew up with is no longer there (so to speak). I have attempted to make accomodations (religion = taboo), but I refuse to compromise my integrity just to get along if the alternative is a constant barrage of god infused bullshit.
"Discuss" as in a two way conversation where each side actually listens to and addresses the points the other is making?

There are plenty of people in the world with whom I can not discuss in that sense.

I have relatives and many aquaintences with whom that would be absolutely impossible. For them god exists and you will burn in hell for not thinking so, and there are no other points that could be raised or need to be addressed on this issue at all.
I didn't talk to my dad about religion (let him say his nonsense) for years and years. Only the past year did I ever have a real conversation with him about it. He dismissed my views (based on reason) as a "phase". Yeah I'm 25. I've felt the same way since I was 11. I'm sure that's a "phase". I'll find the light one day I'm sure Rolleyes Won't be bringing it back up to him.
“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.”

― Mark Twain
(June 21, 2014 at 3:17 pm)Cato Wrote: My brother became Mormon a little over 20 years ago. At first it was no big deal, but after my mother joined the cult about a decade ago things changed. The timing could be coincidence, but he then started religious based conversation just to ask "why is reason considered superior to revelation" when I started handing him his ass. Things progressively got worse in that conversations were consumed with religion. Eventually it got to the point where we've had two strained conversations in the last two years.

I don't like the current situation, but have concluded there is nothing much I can do about it. I won't let the bullshit go unchecked and my attempts to make the subject taboo somehow translate, in his mind, to my tacit approval of his beliefs. Before our estrangement, he quit letting me talk to my niece and nephews. I can only hope that they will reach out to me when they come of age. My niece graduates next year; her three brothers follow in three year intervals. We'll see.

I hate it for you. I know exactly what you're dealing with, but I hesitate to give advice that might only serve to aggravate the situation. You can choose friends, not family; however, there is something particularly sad when someone you grew up with is no longer there (so to speak). I have attempted to make accomodations (religion = taboo), but I refuse to compromise my integrity just to get along if the alternative is a constant barrage of god infused bullshit.

Thank you Cato. I needed to hear that. It's pretty much left me feeling shitty and grumpy all day today.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
You cannot talk to religious people, I have accepted the fact that as someone here said, it's like playing chess with a pigeon, they will simply knock over all the pieces on the boards and strut around victorious.

You can throw logic left right, up down, an every which way you want at them, but how can you argue or talk with someone who after hearing endless lines of FACT can throw out "gawds magic did it"

Anyone who can say "maaaaaagic" cannot be reasoned with
[Image: 2jcyf5t.jpg]
Hard to disagree with that. ..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1948 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3017 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4245 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3201 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  Famous people losing their religion: stories Fake Messiah 14 2773 May 21, 2018 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question Jenny A 113 14877 March 7, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: possibletarian
  Common Sense shows religion screws people up. Usalabs 11 2818 March 20, 2017 at 12:34 am
Last Post: SuperSentient
  What makes people believe in religion? LetThereBeNoGod 11 3169 February 21, 2017 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Is there a plan behind religion? mikeslife 2 832 February 9, 2017 at 1:41 am
Last Post: bheath
  Religion should be encouraged if it has positive effects on people.What do you think? ErGingerbreadMandude 31 5502 December 27, 2016 at 2:07 am
Last Post: energizer bunny