Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If this is the best we can do, we're hosed.
If this is the best we can do, we're hosed.
Quote:Climate change, once consigned to the pending file or dismissed as a hoax, “has moved firmly into the present.” So concludes the third annual National Climate Assessment released last month. President Obama was ready with a response, releasing an Environmental Protection Agency proposal for a 30 percent cut in emissions from more than 600 power stations by 2030. Hundreds will be shut down.
Article

30% cut from power stations? Is this the best we can do?!? How about redirecting a shit-ton of the oil subsidy money into research into valid alternatives to fossil fuels? How about building some solar powered generation plants? It wouldn't take much. Some convex mirrors and some black water pipes to generate steam to turn a turbine. For fuck's sake, we're killing the planet and all our "fearless leader" can come up with is some negligible cuts in emissions?!? Washington would be easier to take if "fearless leader" simply demanded we bring him "moose and squirrel" than this bullshit.

The worst part is, there's money to be made both in generating power using non-carbon sources and in cleaning up our own stinking mess if our Wall St. Masters would just take off the fucking blinders.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
RE: If this is the best we can do, we're hosed.
(June 29, 2014 at 2:03 am)GalacticBusDriver Wrote: 30% cut from power stations? Is this the best we can do?!? How about redirecting a shit-ton of the oil subsidy money into research into valid alternatives to fossil fuels?
Now how could that be used to generate profits in the same way that a government mandated services deficit such as the one proposed might?

Quote:How about building some solar powered generation plants? It wouldn't take much. Some convex mirrors and some black water pipes to generate steam to turn a turbine.
Apparently, the solar folks have not paid the man at the stall, for their turn around the loop on a pony.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The reflection off of the mirrors at the Invanpah Solar Electric Generating System facility in the Mojave Desert interferes with air traffic (kills birds). http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10...0641329484
Yep. I'm sure there's no way to fix that. Well then, I guess we'll just stick to coal and finish the job then. Dodgy

Wall Street Journal? Really? Not that they're biased or anything.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
yeah, the greenies get stupid here in au as well.
The govt's installed many wind turbines in country areas, but they found a dead stupid parrot so all bets are off until we have another fucking royal commission.
These greenie's can be just as silly as the extreme right.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Many times I've driven past the big solar plant they're engineering in the Mojave, and I have to say: where they're building it is a wasteland. The first time my friends and I drove past it, it was like, "hey guys... what's that out there?"... just a strange, shiny spot on the horizon of this brown, hilly... nothing. The last time I drove out to Vegas and back (March, I think?), I was taken aback at how much progress they had made. It was huge, taking up 1000% more area than it had before. It's a pretty amazing resource, and much more ecologically/environmentally friendly than coal or oil. We also have a ton of wind farms in California that take up a lot of space where wildlife could live, but renewable resources are important for our environment, so the wildlife adapts, moves, or dies. Usually, it adapts.
We should "just" figure out how to inhabit outer space and other planets. In which case, we will then happily say good riddance to earth and watch it blow up in a beautiful spectacle of atomic fury.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
The whole warming thing that is being promoted, is for the purpose of shrinking America down to size so it will fit in the global govt. plan. It has nothing to do with reality.

You can't have an autonomous America and new world order at the same time.
One of them has to go.
Guess which one?

You don't see any reluctance on the part of the leadership here to cut back on lush vacations to Hawaii or mansion building, or anything else. How come?
While people are distracted over global warming, the much, much bigger problem of oceanic acidification (actually a decrease in alkalinity) will be a FAR greater disaster than global warming ever could be.

And nobody is doing squat about that.

Really. The global warming crowd is missing a tremendously greater cataclysmic disaster because of their OCD fixation on warming.

THAT is what is going to screw the planet.
Yep, we're hosed.
We probably have been for the last half century or more. It just took till now to get enough nose rubbing in it for us to pay attention. No way will we effectively turn off carbon release in time. Think ocean acidification, methane clathrate release and Permian Extinction.
I'm buying a fiddle.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  We can dare to dream of the stars again, if only we can achieve this small thing. Annik 49 18021 May 17, 2012 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda