Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
How Irrational Are You?
How Irrational Are You?
I'm not clever enough to come up with a questionnaire so I'll have to come up with a poll.

Totally Rational: The fact of God's existence is an inescapable fact/utter bullshit. My position is the result of rationally applied rationality. Next to me, the Star Trek character Spock is woo-wielding tree-hugger. I will never understand those who irrationally hold positions which conflict with my carefully reasoned positions. Idiots.

50/50: I am rational enough to permit myself moments of unbridled spontaneity. Life isn't a test. The heart wants what the heart wants. I identify as much with the creature I am that does the wanting as I do the brain which analyzes its reasonableness. Fortunately I'm not a psychopath so I also honor my impulses to avoid harming others or trampling their dreams. Rational thought is a hell of a tool when it helps us get what we want. I take some pride in my ability to use it well.

Total Irrationality, Baby!: Stick it to the man. Be the artist you were meant to be or give it up, toe the line and mind everyone else's business instead. The choice is yours. Who is to say what is rational? Irrational is the new rational. Don't let them should all over you. Seize the moment. Carpe some deim. Fold, spindle and mutilate as the spirit moves you. Yeah, we're all that.
RE: How Irrational Are You?
yes, yes, and yes?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Oops, I've somehow created two threads. Any chance of getting the other one removed?
I'll go with 50/50. Could go with the first, though - one could rationally argue that emotions and intuition evolved because they're useful, so it would be irrational to suppress them. Big Grin
I am completely rational when it comes to me beliefs toward existential claims.

If a claims for the existence of a god or gods or various versions of afterlives do not meet their burden of proof, I will not believe them.

I want my beliefs to map to reality as closely as possible. Basing them on the rational examination of evidence is the best method of accomplishing this known.

But in other parts of my life, I could be considered irrational. For example:

I've dated women, that I rationally knew were bad for me.

I've surfed in remote areas of the world, far from medical help, in conditions (super shallow coral reefs, deadly scorpion fish, deadly sea snakes, sharks) that I know I was not being rational for surfing.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
All of the above.

100% rationality is highly overrated. Spock can go fuck himself with a cactus. Big Grin
(July 1, 2014 at 1:52 pm)whateverist Wrote: Oops, I've somehow created two threads. Any chance of getting the other one removed?

I dunno whatchu talkin'bout!

On topic:
I'm x/y The ratio between rational/irrational may vary Big Grin
(July 1, 2014 at 2:37 pm)LastPoet Wrote:
(July 1, 2014 at 1:52 pm)whateverist Wrote: Oops, I've somehow created two threads. Any chance of getting the other one removed?

I dunno whatchu talkin'bout!

On topic:
I'm x/y The ratio between rational/irrational may vary Big Grin

I figured out how to delete it myself. (I know, shocking.)
50/50. We are naturally irrational and so long as we are not harming ourselves and others, great things can be achieved by this--art, poetry, literature, etc. However, and largely due to great pioneers of rational thought, mankind became civilized and increasingly educated about the nature of existence--a nature that seems peculiarly regular and open to manipulation--by scientific, and hence, rational, methods.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
I prefer the term a-rational or non-rational. Irrational implies it is against reason; I prefer to think of the alternative as simply independent of reason.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What makes people irrational thinkers? SlowCalculations 228 18226 January 15, 2022 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Atheism is irrational. theologian 153 19894 December 15, 2016 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  How Irrational People Think Mudhammam 41 7400 January 18, 2015 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Irrational beliefs ManMachine 29 4652 July 27, 2014 at 11:35 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Why atheism is irrational Vincenzo Vinny G. 238 73794 October 10, 2013 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Vincenzo Vinny G.
  God Hates Himself and is Irrational Koolay 32 9903 July 14, 2013 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: Michael Schubert
  Can Irrational people Be Persuaded with Rationality? Koolay 25 7382 July 7, 2013 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Irrational Nature Of Atheism - An Explanation Of God, Gods And Goddesses The Theist 60 30854 July 9, 2012 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  atheism and irrational thinking josef rosenkranz 8 4419 May 1, 2012 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Child of Stardust
  Atheism is just as irrational as Theism. sonofodin 130 39102 October 23, 2011 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen