Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Irrational People Think
How Irrational People Think
1. There are seashells found on mountains.
2. There is a book that mentions a worldwide flood.
3. Therefore, the book is reliable and true.

What else? Keep it a syllogism.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: How Irrational People Think
Yeah, the logic seems to be:

My book didn't get everything entirely wrong, therefor my book is entirely right, even the magic stuff.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
One that I have heard

Bible says that man was formed from dirt
Evolution offends me because it says that I evolved from a lower form
Therefore: I DID NOT COME FROM MONKEYS. HOW DARE YOU SAY I DID!

Another one

Nature makes me happy
Therefore , There is a god!
1 - Everything that exists needs to be proven

2 - The bible says god exists

3 - Therefore, god exists.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

When Ray Comfort had a site geared toward attracting atheists, I used to visit it. One of his ways to convince us to join him was to say:

The bible states that the fools says in his heart that there is no god
You say that there is no god
Therefore; You are a fool

His methods didn't work well with his atheist visitors
Everything needs a cause.
Oh except the thing they believe is the cause, that is an exception just coz.

Sometimes they go deeper.

Science cannot explain the totally how the universe began or life started. Therefore homosexuality is wrong and you shouldn't work on Sunday.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(January 11, 2015 at 4:00 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Everything needs a cause.Oh except the thing they believe is the cause, that is an exception just coz.
No one has ever seriously made that argument. The true formulation is that 'nothing that comes into being does so apart from some cause. There are some interesting arguments against this premise, but your strawman is not one of them.
(January 11, 2015 at 4:27 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(January 11, 2015 at 4:00 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Everything needs a cause.Oh except the thing they believe is the cause, that is an exception just coz.
No one has ever seriously made that argument. The true formulation is that 'nothing that comes into being does so apart from some cause. There are some interesting arguments against this premise, but your strawman is not one of them.

You are denying that people seriously consider the "uncaused cause" copout for God?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

My personal favorite which I come across often: I don't know how the universe got here and I can't explain how life developed. If it's too complex for me to understand, then naturally the universe and all life forms within it must have a creator.
Jesus Christ forbid remarriage following divorce

I am divorced and remarried

I must be a Christian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1946 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  What makes people irrational thinkers? SlowCalculations 228 18239 January 15, 2022 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Religion should be encouraged if it has positive effects on people.What do you think? ErGingerbreadMandude 31 5500 December 27, 2016 at 2:07 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Atheism is irrational. theologian 153 19900 December 15, 2016 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  The reason why religious people think we eat babies rado84 59 6708 December 3, 2016 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Amarok
  ever think that all our problems exist because of other people? Jextin 11 4191 January 3, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  People with nice lives who think they're blessed Mozart Link 51 6028 August 9, 2014 at 4:02 am
Last Post: Losty
  Irrational beliefs ManMachine 29 4665 July 27, 2014 at 11:35 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  How Irrational Are You? Whateverist 12 2661 July 1, 2014 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Nine
  Why I think people who don't believe in the Easter Bunny are going to hell. nogodchick 3 1456 April 28, 2014 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd