Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accepting Atheism
Accepting Atheism
Hello all!

My name is Amalynne. 25, female from SoCal, embracing my atheism in full. I have left the plastic mega-church world of Orange County, an automaton wasteland, for reason, logic, and a more immediate love of the now in this brief flickering life.

When reason hit me on the head Christmas morning two years ago, I was at first furious that I had been lied to, then I was depressed that so few people I knew had reached similar revelations, and now I am more calmly resigned... even while I am being severely judged by family members and peers for my newly announced disbelief.

I'm looking to connect with likeminded people who have been through similar experiences, and of course, anyone fabulous.

-Ama
The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it.
-- Mark Twain, Notebook
RE: Accepting Atheism
Welcome aboard. We're all fabulous round these parts.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 5, 2014 at 10:19 pm)Amalynne0 Wrote: Hello all!

My name is Amalynne. 25, female from SoCal, embracing my atheism in full. I have left the plastic mega-church world of Orange County, an automaton wasteland, for reason, logic, and a more immediate love of the now in this brief flickering life.

When reason hit me on the head Christmas morning two years ago, I was at first furious that I had been lied to, then I was depressed that so few people I knew had reached similar revelations, and now I am more calmly resigned... even while I am being severely judged by family members and peers for my newly announced disbelief.

I'm looking to connect with likeminded people who have been through similar experiences, and of course, anyone fabulous.

-Ama

Welcome to the forum Big Grin

I'm assuming SoCal is southern california or south carolina? I dunno I'm not an american, I don't know how it's like to be an atheist in the USA but I've heard it can be though.

Are you depressed because you felt like everyone lied to you or because you realized there is no heaven or eternal reward?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

As far as the eternal reward and all that... I thought it was pretty much ridiculous to begin with, I've never much been bothered with that. I think I was most furious about the idea that I am beholden to some eternal fairy in the sky who is a spy on my life. For years I felt as though many of my choices were repressed because of religion because I had bought into some degree of that truth. I was angry that I bought into the mere notion of a celestial Big Brother. The freedom I feel knowing--or being damn near sure--no one is in my head but me makes me feel fabulous (a word I can never use lightly).

-Ama
The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it.
-- Mark Twain, Notebook
[Image: marvin_greetings_earthlings.jpg]
Hi there and welcome Big Grin
Why Won't God Heal Amputees ? 

Oči moje na ormaru stoje i gledaju kako sarma kipi  Tongue
Yay, I love when fun ladies join Big Grin welcome to the forum have some cookies Wink

(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(July 5, 2014 at 10:33 pm)Amalynne0 Wrote: As far as the eternal reward and all that... I thought it was pretty much ridiculous to begin with, I've never much been bothered with that. I think I was most furious about the idea that I am beholden to some eternal fairy in the sky who is a spy on my life. For years I felt as though many of my choices were repressed because of religion because I had bought into some degree of that truth. I was angry that I bought into the mere notion of a celestial Big Brother. The freedom I feel knowing--or being damn near sure--no one is in my head but me makes me feel fabulous (a word I can never use lightly).

-Ama

Will your family react well to your decision? Being an atheist can have it's downsides, but it's the best personal relationship with reality. Enjoy the freedom you have now and question everything
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Oh those are special cookies, Losty. You really outdid yourself this time. Welcome aboard socal gal. I live in Northern California (Berkeley) but rebeccarox lives down your way along with our soccer expert (with the hard to remember username) and I'm not sure who else. Somewhere there used to be a map with pins showing where everyone lives, or at least those who aren't in witness protection programs.

I know what you mean about Southern feeling like another bible belt. I briefly lived with my parents in Westminster, California a long time ago. My father was a holy roller who went to church every Sunday. Fortunately he had been in the navy and my mother didn't bring us to church while he was frequently away to sea, from before I started school to after I graduated high school. By then I was an atheist, working, living on my own in the bay area. When my parents and my three youngest siblings moved down to Westminster they started up going to church again. I feel very fortunate to be born in the sweet spot to miss out.

You'd like it better up here culturally, no John Burch society and no super churches as far as I know.
Through a series of choices and events, I am estranged from much of my family--the majority of whom would have severely judged and shamed me for my atheism. My family, the ones I still see, have been shocked... not as much disappointed, but unsettled. I was as hardcore Christian as one could get and its disturbed quite a few people to see that my faith could be decimated... I'm sure this is mostly because my disbelief has caused them to question their own faith. This, to me, has been the most beneficial result of my publicly declared atheism.

Many friends though, much from a Christian and highly conservative community, have gone so far as to shame me via social media and make very aggressive attempts to restore my faith--I don't need anymore vehement voicemails or cookie baskets with little nettling notes about faith left at my doorstep. I have had doubts for years, and thought myself an atheist quietly for nearly 2 years now while breaking away from church life.

(July 5, 2014 at 11:30 pm)whateverist Wrote: Oh those are special cookies, Losty. You really outdid yourself this time. Welcome aboard socal gal. I live in Northern California (Berkeley) but rebeccarox lives down your way along with our soccer expert (with the hard to remember username) and I'm not sure who else. Somewhere there used to be a map with pins showing where everyone lives, or at least those who aren't in witness protection programs.

I know what you mean about Southern feeling like another bible belt. I briefly lived with my parents in Westminster, California a long time ago. My father was a holy roller who went to church every Sunday. Fortunately he had been in the navy and my mother didn't bring us to church while he was frequently away to sea, from before I started school to after I graduated high school. By then I was an atheist, working, living on my own in the bay area. When my parents and my three youngest siblings moved down to Westminster they started up going to church again. I feel very fortunate to be born in the sweet spot to miss out.

You'd like it better up here culturally, no John Burch society and no super churches as far as I know.

Yes, I'm actually looking to move up to the bay area. I did my undergrad up-state and the community and culture was so much more vibrant and free-thinking. I have been wondering where I can go where atheism isn't shunned so. In Southern California people really look down on you--at least in Orange County, if you don't drink the Kool-Aid.
-- Mark Twain, Notebook