Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about atheism related with gnosticism and agnosticism
Question about atheism related with gnosticism and agnosticism
As we all know, gnosticism means 'to have knowledge' while agnosticism means 'an absence of knowledge'. If I am an agnostic atheist, I lack belief in gods but I don't claim to know if there are any. If I'm a gnostic atheist, I don't believe in any gods and claim no gods exist.

My question is, do you have to be fully agnostic or gnostic or can you be partially gnostic and agnostic (regarding atheism)? I'll explain it better, could I claim to be a gnostic atheist regarding religion, by pointing out arguments such as the contradiction between godlike characteristics, lack of evidence to provide validity of holy books, bad things that happen in the world, etc, and use them as evidence to prove all religions are false and their gods are non existent? Therefore I could claim 'religious gods' don't exist. And at the same time could I be an agnostic atheist regarding simple agnostic theism without religious affiliation or deism/pantheism because I really can't proof those propositions are wrong since the deist god doesn't intervene with the world and there are no holy scriptures?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

RE: Question about atheism related with gnosticism and agnosticism
(July 10, 2014 at 4:28 pm)Blackout Wrote: My question is, do you have to be fully agnostic or gnostic or can you be partially gnostic and agnostic (regarding atheism)?
You can be either one, or neither.

Knowledge is ultimately irrelevant to the subject of atheism. To be an atheist, you simply have to have a lack of belief in god or gods. Undecided

Quote:Therefore I could claim 'religious gods' don't exist.
You can respond to theistic claims as not sufficiently met their burden of proof, or refute them altogether as nonsensical if no good clear working ontology of the deity is provided by the claimer.
I am agnostic about general god claims, deism and such, because there is simply no way to establish their existence or lack thereof. I am gnostic about many specific gawd claims, allah, the christer gawd, et... because they are logical impossibilities.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(July 10, 2014 at 5:13 pm)GalacticBusDriver Wrote: I am agnostic about general god claims, deism and such, because there is simply no way to establish their existence or lack thereof. I am gnostic about many specific gawd claims, allah, the christer gawd, et... because they are logical impossibilities.

Mazactly.

Believing something is bullshit doesn't really need complex abstract concepts.
It's either bullshit or it's not.
If you can't decifer the bullshit sufficiently, you're agnostic.
On a clear Sunday, I love the smell of "bullshit" in the morning.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2717 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Agnosticism LinuxGal 5 852 January 2, 2023 at 8:29 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Atheism, theism, agnosticism, gnosticism, ignosticism Simon Moon 25 2037 October 29, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Agnosticism IS the most dishonest position R00tKiT 575 38943 March 18, 2020 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27084 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Two Undeniable Truths Why Theism is True and Atheism and Agnosticism are Not True HiYou 49 12133 July 21, 2015 at 6:59 am
Last Post: KUSA
  Enlightened [Elitist] Agnosticism Dystopia 92 9733 March 3, 2015 at 11:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12453 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12125 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10467 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0