Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homosexuality punishable by death.
Homosexuality punishable by death.
This is an email sent out to Amnesty International sponsors.
Quote:Amnesty International USA

A proposed bill storming through Uganda's parliament is one of the most severe pieces of
anti-homosexuality legislation in the entire world! If passed, it would establish an alarming precedent
that would virtually annihilate the human rights of Uganda's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender
(LGBT) population.

Stop Uganda's Anti-Homosexuality Bill!
Dear Leo,

In October 2009, Parliamentarian David Bahati introduced draconian legislation in Uganda that
would make "any form of sexual relations between persons of the same sex" punishable by prison or
even death. The bill even takes aim at those offering protection or support to any lesbian, gay,
bisexual and transgender (LGBT) person by instituting harsh prison sentences of up to 7 years.

If the Ugandan Parliament chooses to endorse this hateful legislation, it would be responsible for
depriving countless Ugandans of their human rights as well as placing LGBT people throughout the world
at significantly greater risk.

The vote on this bill could happen as soon as the end of this month, so we've got to act fast.

Fortunately, momentum to fight Uganda's egregious bill has already started building in Washington.
Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) is spearheading a joint Congressional letter that will be sent to
Uganda's President urging him to put an end to this discrimination. We need all U.S. Representatives to
unite in opposition to codify persecution and discrimination in Uganda.

Urge your Representative to sign-on to stop Uganda's Anti-Homosexuality Bill.

We fear that the negative consequences sparked from the passage of such irresponsible legislation will
not stop at Uganda's borders, but will reverberate throughout the rest of Africa and even the world.

Make your voice heard and stand up for human rights in Uganda! Tell your Representative to condemn the
proposed legislation that would deal a blow to human rights in Uganda and across the world.

In Solidarity,
Michael O'Reilly
Director, Individuals at Risk Campaign

So I started looking into this, and sure enough, that bill is about to pass. I also came across this article:

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/11/30/warren-uganda/

So the Pastor with the best link to the White House won’t condemn the Anti-Homosexuality Bill.

Quote:On Meet the Press yesterday, Warren reiterated, “As a pastor, my job is to encourage, to support. I never take sides.” He has, however, said that abortion is a “holocaust” and pushed for the passage of California’s Prop. 8.

Here is also an article from the Guardian on this bill:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov...ce-gay-sex

I think it is dangerous and ridiculous that a bill like this even gets on the agenda, let alone stand a chance of passing.

It is dangerous because this bill criminalizes anyone, who does not report a gay person within 24 hours. This is going to dissuade gay people from seeking treatment, seeking help, seeking testing, because they know that ultimately when you do that you're going to end up outing yourself, and the next thing you know, that could land you in jail. Again without proper medical treatment.

I've contacted Amnesty Nederland about this as their website is not mentioning any action on the topic (though they are doing several other admirable projects). If I hear something from them I will let you know in this topic.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
RE: Homosexuality punishable by death.
Scary stuff, good find Leo.

Apparently this has been brought up here in Canada and denounced but a quick search tells me little more. So I guess I have to give Stephen Harper a call? I'm glad to report John Baird, speaking for the Prime Minister, said this:
Quote:“The current legislation before Parliament in Uganda is vile, it’s abhorrent, it’s offensive. It offends Canadian values. It offends decency Mr. Speaker. We strongly condemn that and the Prime Minister will make that strong condemnation as well.”

It's appalling that this kind of legislation is even proposed.
[Image: Canadatheist3copy.jpg?t=1270015625]
Harper's busy sucking up to Israel and selling what little is left of our Canadian Identity, he won't field your call.
Rachel Maddow has been following this story closely, and more importantly high-lighting the connections between this bill and Americans involved through the family, a Christian organization. It's appalling.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/...idding_Me/
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Considering the already unstable political regime of Uganda, I am not surprised they would come up with something like this.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

I've been casually following this through Rachel Maddow's great coverage.

Really appalling stuff.
- Meatball

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Incest should be legal because homosexuality is Rein83 52 5725 August 6, 2019 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: viocjit
  Homosexuality should be forbidden in public Sopra 33 3399 February 28, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The changing attitude towards homosexuality in the western world. Something completely different 0 864 July 2, 2013 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
  Who Will Trade Me Homosexuality for Abortion??? Blackrook 77 19345 April 6, 2013 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Incest, homosexuality CarinaS 55 12741 November 16, 2010 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: ib.me.ub