Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:33 am

Poll: Is Atheism False?
This poll is closed.
Yes
10.34%
3 10.34%
No
89.66%
26 89.66%
Not sure
0%
0 0%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I Don't Believe in Atheism
Why I Don't Believe in Atheism
For me it is really simply why I don't believe in atheism, because the universe can't come from nothing, that is, non-existence, because that which does not exist can't cause anything, since it doesn't exist. We only have evidence of causation from 'something', no evidence to the contrary.

And I don't believe in atheism because the universe(s) could not have always existed because if it (they) had then by definition there would have been an be an infinite regress of cause and effects, so you would have had an eternity to come into being before now, so you should have already happened. And self-contradictorily, you would never have existed because a past eternity would continue to go on for eternity, thus never reaching this point of existence now.

Therefore, by this evidential reasoning, I conclude nature needs a cause outside of itself, outside of time and space, being uncreated. This uncreated Creator is Whom I call God. Logical, since we know the uncreated Creator exist, it is incumbent upon us to find out where God reveals Himself personally. The initial caveat is that God is not self-contradictory so only one religion can be the correct one.
RE: Why I Don't Believe in Atheism
But it's always amazing how your god is exempt from the necessity of being created . . .

Convenient, huh?

Oh, and you should believe in atheism because you've come to a board full of atheists: evidence that atheism exists.
Dying to live, living to die.
I think you're confusing atheism with cosmology.

Also, St Anselm's "proofs" have been torn apart pretty convincingly. The fallacy he commits in this argument is special pleading. Please read that link before replying.

Oh, the something from nothing spiel again.

If something cannot come from nothing, then neither can your silly fictional god. And claiming that he can because he's god is mere special pleading, a fallacy with no basis in reality or logic.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(July 30, 2014 at 10:46 pm)Beccs Wrote: But it's always amazing how your god is exempt from the necessity of being created
I think you misunderstood the opening post.

The opening post shows nature needs a cause outside of itself, outside of time and space, thus being uncreated.

When a person uses the term 'God' that's what they are referring to this proven 'uncreated Creator' that can't be nature.

Simple.
(July 30, 2014 at 10:44 pm)MPCADF Wrote: For me it is really simply why I don't believe in atheism, because the universe can't come from nothing, that is, non-existence, because that which does not exist can't cause anything, since it doesn't exist. We only have evidence of causation from 'something', no evidence to the contrary.

And I don't believe in atheism because the universe(s) could not have always existed because if it (they) had then by definition there would have been an be an infinite regress of cause and effects, so you would have had an eternity to come into being before now, so you should have already happened. And self-contradictorily, you would never have existed because a past eternity would continue to go on for eternity, thus never reaching this point of existence now.

Therefore, by this evidential reasoning, I conclude nature needs a cause outside of itself, outside of time and space, being uncreated. This uncreated Creator is Whom I call God. Logical, since we know the uncreated Creator exist, it is incumbent upon us to find out where God reveals Himself personally. The initial caveat is that God is not self-contradictory so only one religion can be the correct one.

Good-o, would you like a cookie?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Oh boy, the cosmological argument!

The idea of "before" the universe is nonsensical. Time began at the Big Bang, there was no "before." If you think there was give reasons for this. You claim everything needs a cause. Not on a quantum scale, it doesn't. Stuff pops in and out of existence all the time.
So if anyone wants to try to challenge the proof you're welcome to do so.
When you say 'I don't believe in atheism' you sound really stupid. You know why? Because all atheism is, is: 'a lack of belief in god'. So what you are effectively saying is 'I don't believe in you not believing in my god'. Atheism is a lack of a belief and therefore it is impossible to hold it as a belief.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
Referencing a deistic style God seems like a horrible reason to be a Christian.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4964 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 8154 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  "Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?" FlatAssembler 124 7966 February 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13546 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 4095 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why do people believe that Beowulf is fiction? I_am_not_mafia 59 13208 June 6, 2018 at 6:02 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 5972 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 25947 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22092 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8574 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas