Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/nigel-barber/why-atheism-to-replace-re_b_903653.html
Europe becomes atheistic - sociological surveys
Figures show a majority of young adults in 12 countries have no faith, with Czechs least religious
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/21/christianity-non-christian-europe-young-people-survey-religion
In Europe, atheism grows faster than Islam
I think people are getting smarter and more educated
RE: Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries
The general rule seems to be the more prosperous and peaceful a nation is, the more atheistic it also becomes.

Personally, I think it's just a result of how well-off a nations people are that is the most prominent deciding factor.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
I think people are getting more educated, and that's one of the reasons atheism is growing.

I don't think people are getting smarter. And I think that's why religion is still so widespread. There will always be people that however good of an education they've got, still aren't smart enough to stop believing in nonsense.
A fact not lost on the religious, or even on magic books.  People turn to god(s) in distress, and forget them in good times.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Religion gains when society is in ignorance and poverty when that goes away religion goes with it .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Thank google
(April 24, 2018 at 8:25 am)Khemikal Wrote: A fact not lost on the religious, or even on magic books.  People turn to god(s) in distress, and forget them in good times.

I had a feeling JJ and Flo didn't really believe.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 24, 2018 at 8:24 am)Hammy Wrote: I think people are getting more educated, and that's one of the reasons atheism is growing.

I don't think people are getting smarter. And I think that's why religion is still so widespread. There will always be people that however good of an education they've got, still aren't smart enough to stop believing in nonsense.

I agree with the first line but I don't think smartness has anything to do with religiosity.
The majority of people in the world are religious.
I think it stands to reason that the majority of smart people are religious also.
(April 24, 2018 at 11:25 pm)Little lunch Wrote:
(April 24, 2018 at 8:24 am)Hammy Wrote: I think people are getting more educated, and that's one of the reasons atheism is growing.

I agree with the first line but I don't think smartness has anything to do with religiosity.
The majority of people in the world are religious.
I think it stands to reason that the majority of smart people are religious also.

Most people would be on average, of average intelligence (tautological, I realize), and not all that different, really, from people even in the time of Euclid. Look at what happened with mathematics, even back then. But what happened, IMO, is that society had religious people trying to exert control, and the easiest way to control it is by enforcing superstition and ignorance. As a population gets more free time (with wealth), they have more time to learn. I think that the explosion in information's availability with the internet has accelerated the loss in belief. If information is readily available, people can make up their own minds about things instead of asking some priest or other religious person, since they are more informed elsewhere. So, they don't get Jeebus stuffed down their throats, but get real information on how to deal with their problems- handling it themselves instead of letting a deity (or a person claiming to speak for that alleged deity) deal with it.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(April 24, 2018 at 8:25 am)Khemikal Wrote: A fact not lost on the religious, or even on magic books.  People turn to god(s) in distress, and forget them in good times.

Truer words, etc. This is actually pretty insidious, as religious organisations tend to have a set policy of recruiting from the distressed and disadvantaged.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4676 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Wink Religion vs Atheism! Bwahahahahahahahah MadJW 146 10323 November 5, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4029 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 24541 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 25621 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8463 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 26877 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Poor countries. purplepurpose 9 2487 May 26, 2017 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why Anarcho-Capitalism Is a Canard and Its Implications for Atheism log 110 12229 January 19, 2017 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Let us think why humanity developed several religions but only one science? Nishant 10 2871 January 4, 2017 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist