Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your opinion on deism and pantheism?
What's your opinion on deism and pantheism?
I'm curious to know what other atheists think of both belief systems (I think calling them religions is unreasonable). How do you view both? Here's my judgement:

First of all, I tolerate both a lot more than religion since deists and pantheists aren't trying to impose their beliefs on other people and rarely commit atrocities because of it. Second, I'm an agnostic to both positions, contrary to religion to which I am a gnostic. I'm not an anti-theist when it comes to deism and pantheism, even though I don't see much support and reliability for both.

Deism - It lacks evidence, so I find it irrational, but it's more reasonable than religion/theism, considering the later claims that a god with contradictory characteristics exists, while Deism advocates the first cause god who created everything but doesn't intervene constantly with our life.

Pantheism - I don't know if it's wise to talk about evidence since pantheists see god and the universe as the same entity, a sort of unity. I could say the universe and nature are my god, but that's not a personal god in anyway, it's more likely me giving a label to something that is already well defined and explained. What's the purpose of pantheism? This is my main critic - Why see the universe as holy? Why identify the universe as god? I can't talk about proof here since the universe is god and it's impossible to prove if the universe is god or not.

Something I'd like to ask - For deists and pantheists on the forum, do you believe in the afterlife, spirits, metaphysical existences, and that god can, on occasion, intervene and shape the universe or humane events?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

RE: What's your opinion on deism and pantheism?
The only afterlife is death. Plenty of afterdeaths though.

I believe in myself. That's the spirit, huh? Tongue

Everything exists. So, the 'metaphysical' too exists. (it's just another facet of reality, though... sorry)

Which god? Going to have to be more specific on that one. Me, I hate 'the Meddler'... and should it show itself to me: I'll murder it (them, her, him, whatever)... I'll murder it dead.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
RE: What's your opinion on deism and pantheism?
I haven't got much of an opinion on either of them. They are mildly interesting concepts but I did most of my thinking-about-god stuff several years ago and don't feel the need to revisit yet. Any type of god is way down on my list of priorities to think about.
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deism, Atheism, and False Dilemmas remagination 20 5432 March 26, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Whats your opinion of Budhism? Pel 6 3133 February 19, 2012 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Violet
  whats your opinion of Deism? Ervin 66 30545 September 6, 2011 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: Cinjin
  Deism! (and pantheism and Pandeism, and polypanendeism...) Darth 22 13069 June 27, 2011 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: fr0d0