Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
whats your opinion of Deism?
whats your opinion of Deism?
I was born to a secular muslim father and a Christian mother. So, there were times when I believed in Allah as a kid and a grown up. As an adult I have also thought that Atheism is the truth for some time.

However its been a while that I have sort of thought about Deism to be most likely the truth. You know on and off. As you learn and open your mind to everything you can end up changing your views more than once. I have any way.

Reason why I don't say Deist Agnostic is because I see Deism as a form of agnosticism.

I have seen Atheists looking at Deism same as they do at Theism. Sure there is an element of faith envolved, however I would argue that since there is no scripture and since we embrace science and reason that it is not same as Theism.

So whats your opinion on Deism?

Thanks

RE: whats your opinion of Deism?
If someone tells me that they're a deist, it tells me that this person believes in a divine being, but it doesn't really tell me much else. Much beyond that is essentially speculation, but I do usually have more assumptions, but I recognize them as such, meaning that I recognize that those assumptions can just as easily be wrong because it does vary very much with the individual since there is no organized Deistic beliefs to my knowledge.
This assumption is that I assume this person rejects traditional religions but has some desire to keep the idea of a higher power, perhaps as a creator of the universe or just as an observer with some degree of influence.

My opinion of Deism is that has all the benefits of allowing someone to keep their faith in god without needing to cop to the crazier beliefs, like young-earth creationism. This isn't always the case, as I've found, because some simply supplant the organized brand of insanity with their own brand of insanity.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
THEISM: A perfectly reasonable belief,but not one I'm able to share.

It's even been argued that some form of theism may be hard wired into human a beings. Having been around many atheist forums ove the last couple of years, I remain convinced that (generally speaking) our most powerful beliefs have little to do with reason or logic,although both are used to rationalise all beliefs,sometimes validly,often not.

As a student of Anthropology I also remain convinced that theism and religion serve a range of functions, emotional and pragmatic. EG creating a cohesive group for mutual protection and of course social and political power,THE reason for organised religion.-and one of the greatest confidence tricks ever perpetrated on the human race:the invention of priests.
Deism is essentially the opposite of atheism. As is mentioned above, there isn't much more to it than "I believe there is a god or gods." Therefore, it's not as inherently insane as most supernatural beliefs, which is good.

I can respect the fact that deists don't align themselves will religion, per se. I don't see what leads them to believe in god(s), but that is a separate issue.
As I've told my good buddy Deist Paladin on another board....deists are atheists who are afraid to let go with the other hand.
Minimalist Wrote:As I've told my good buddy Deist Paladin on another board....deists are atheists who are afraid to let go with the other hand.

Ha, that pretty much sums up every deist with whom I have come into contact.
My opinion on deism is that believing in a God who created the universe and then gave us no holy books or moral instructions to follow would be sort of a useless God.

Also, I think that the deistic God is one which doesn't have any personality and emotions. In that sense, it's like believing in a God who exists in the form of a natural, universal law that always existed before the creation of the universe and thus believing in such a God is not very different from believing in M-theory or any other scientific explanation of the universe which are also believed by atheists. Therefore, Min's statement that "deists are atheists who are afraid to let go of the other hand" is a pretty sensible one to me.
Thanks everyone for your responses.

@Rayaan. Its easier for me to believe that he/she (God) didn't give any instructions outside our consience than to believe that the best example on earth(so called prophet Muhammad) married Aisha at the age that he( Mohammad) did.
Or that you are suposed to be a mafia type organisation(Traditional Islam and other Theism) that kills those who want to break away.

Everyone else. I Supose that Pantheism and Deism are most close to Atheism in it that we fully aknowlege science and reason wich I believe is good.

But no I am not an Atheist, I am a Deist.

Thanks

Ervin Wrote:I was born to a secular muslim father and a Christian mother. So, there were times when I believed in Allah as a kid and a grown up. As an adult I have also thought that Atheism is the truth for some time.

However its been a while that I have sort of thought about Deism to be most likely the truth. You know on and off. As you learn and open your mind to everything you can end up changing your views more than once. I have any way.

Reason why I don't say Deist Agnostic is because I see Deism as a form of agnosticism.

I have seen Atheists looking at Deism same as they do at Theism. Sure there is an element of faith involved, however I would argue that since there is no scripture and since we embrace science and reason that it is not same as Theism.

So whats your opinion on Deism?

Thanks

I see one major flaw with Deism, it is the same flaw that it shares with Theism. Namely if an complex being created the universe. Then there would necessarily require had to be a even more complex being to create this being.

undefined
Or even more straight to the point: Why make the assumption that god(s) exist?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Whats up with the Jews? ThortheMighty 26 3803 February 27, 2017 at 12:05 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Deism, Atheism, and False Dilemmas remagination 20 5404 March 26, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  What's your opinion on deism and pantheism? Dystopia 2 1202 August 1, 2014 at 7:08 am
Last Post: vodkafan
  Whats your opinion of Budhism? Pel 6 3124 February 19, 2012 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Deism! (and pantheism and Pandeism, and polypanendeism...) Darth 22 13033 June 27, 2011 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: fr0d0