Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL 2014 season chit chat and trash talk
NFL 2014 season chit chat and trash talk
NFL preseason is upon us, and what better way to open the season than a thread to talk NFL football?

I'm watching the Seattle @ Denver preseason opener - both teams look a bit rusty compared to last season, and Denver scored first with a 1 yard TD run on their second possession. So far, Denver looks better than they did in last year's Super Bowl. Of course, the odds of a repeat are slim, but I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch in the championship game this year. Just sayin'.

There's a number of rule changes this year, and one experiment (that is slated to run for the first two weeks of preseason): on point-after attempts, the ball will be spotted at the 15 instead of the two, resulting in PAT kicks being the equivalent of a 33-yard field goal instead of 20.

I've got mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, PAT kicks in the past have been pretty much a guaranteed point (last year, 99.6% of kicks were good) and injecting a little uncertainty is a good thing - then again, while I don't have aggregate statistics handy, 33 yard attempts are still a very high percentage play.

The question is this: what would this experiment mean for the two point conversion? In my estimation, since adopting the two point conversion rule twenty years ago, it's been good for the game, giving offenses more options, and adding uncertainty to defending PAT attempts. It would seem that spotting the ball at the 15 would make two point attempts a much lower percentage play, and perhaps relegates the play to a desperation move to try and pick up extra points to narrow the gap in the later part of the game. Having 13 more yards of field to work with gives the offense more of their playbook to work with, sure - but picking up 15 yards in the red zone on a single play is still a pretty tall order.

On the other other hand (three hands, WTF?), spotting the ball further out is going to provide opportunities for better kickers to further distinguish themselves from their peers.

One rule change that I like (rather, how the existing rule is enforced): Taunting or abusive language directed at a player or official is going to be handled with zero tolerance and result in a 15 yard penalty. Good. As a Seahawks fan since their inaugural season, seeing Golden Tate taunt the Rams' defense as he skipped into the end zone, not to mention Richard Sherman's trash talking and taunting - I hated to see that unsportsmanlike behavior, and I'm glad it's going to be more strictly penalized, even though my team was one of the worst offenders last year.
RE: NFL 2014 season chit chat and trash talk
They should have kickers work for their points...because of the increase of skill of them over the last 30 years, tied games in the NFL became increasingly rare.

Don't the worst teams usually win the pre-season games since the star teams don't even care?
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(August 7, 2014 at 10:20 pm)Polaris Wrote: Don't the worst teams usually win the pre-season games since the star teams don't even care?

No. Preseason is for player evaluation, especially bubble players, and some "real-time" practice for the starters before the season kicks off. The 4-0 (preseason) Broncos of 1977 advanced to Superbowl XII. The 1-3 (preseason) broncos also advanced to the Superbowl, last season.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Nice thoughts on the rule changes.

Are 2-point attempts also spotted at the 15?

I think the rule change that will actually have the biggest effect on the game is the no receiver contact after 5 yards. The way I read it is that hand-checking will not be allowed. How this is enforced could have a huge impact on the passing game.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I won't watch pre-season games unless the Bengals or Dophins are playing. Even then I'm only really interested in watching the rookies.
(August 7, 2014 at 10:20 pm)Polaris Wrote: Don't the worst teams usually win the pre-season games since the star teams don't even care?

I'd say it'd be difficult to generalize on that. Star teams care - but nobody ultimately cares who wins.

Pre-season outcomes don't matter, and nobody cares what a team's preseason record is. The whole point is to evaluate players to decide who gets a spot on the bench and who doesn't - so for the most part, 75% (or more) of the downs are going to be played by players who aren't going to see much time on the field (if any) during the regular season - and a great many of them are going to be cut by the start of the regular season. At the start of preseason, a team is allowed to have 80 players on the roster, by the regular season, they have to trim it to 53.

Oftentimes you do see shitty teams beat great teams, yeah - but winning isn't the point of preseason play.
(August 7, 2014 at 11:18 pm)Cato Wrote: Nice thoughts on the rule changes.

Are 2-point attempts also spotted at the 15?

I'm wondering that as well, and I really don't know. I suppose it could be allowed, if a team didn't want to use deception (i.e. line up as if for a kick and run or pass instead).

Ah, found a reference. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sport...day-night/

Quote:In the NFL’s preseason experiment, the ball will be placed at the 15-yard line, making for a 33-yard extra point. Two-point conversion attempts will continue to come from the 2-yard line.

With that cleared up, I think I like the idea of longer PAT kicks - kickers are going to be a bit more of a factor.

(August 7, 2014 at 11:18 pm)Cato Wrote: I think the rule change that will actually have the biggest effect on the game is the no receiver contact after 5 yards. The way I read it is that hand-checking will not be allowed. How this is enforced could have a huge impact on the passing game.

Yeah, I'm undecided on how I feel about that one. I really don't want to see them start calling ticky-tack bullshit - it is a contact sport. However, more consistent officiating is a positive thing, I think. There's been a lot of subjectivity in calling illegal contact in particular (and to a lesser extent, interference). Wherever they decide to draw the line is probably fine, provided that all of the officials make calls to the same standard.

I see that rule benefiting receivers to be sure, and it's going to magnify mismatches.

(August 7, 2014 at 11:18 pm)Cato Wrote: Edit: Forgot to mention, I won't watch pre-season games unless the Bengals or Dophins are playing. Even then I'm only really interested in watching the rookies.

Yeah, I pretty much just watch the Seahawks (in the regular season, I'm a whore and I'll watch any game). I don't care who wins, it's just a chance to see new talent and find out who might be a factor in the future.
(August 7, 2014 at 11:48 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I suppose it could be allowed, if a team didn't want to use deception (i.e. line up as if for a kick and run or pass instead).

Is that allowed under the rules? I have to ask because I've never seen anyone try it, or to even try to advance the ball on a bad snap (if that's how the Broncos scored their two-point conversion in the SB, well, I was doing other things by then Sad ).
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  That Unofficial NFL Thread Brian37 158 8381 March 11, 2024 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  How could I miss this rule for 55 years in the NFL? Brian37 14 1656 December 1, 2021 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Brian37
  CFL VS NFL..... Brian37 28 2855 August 28, 2021 at 11:20 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Cleveland to change MLB name for 22 season. Brian37 5 556 July 23, 2021 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: no one
  Anyone watching the NFL draft? Brian37 11 1101 May 2, 2021 at 4:50 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  NFL Pro Bowl Brian37 0 268 January 31, 2021 at 9:39 am
Last Post: Brian37
  NFL and Covid....... Cam Newton..... Brian37 2 434 October 3, 2020 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  NFL triva..... Brian37 2 330 September 29, 2020 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Gym Talk Shell B 41 3314 May 6, 2020 at 2:21 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  NFL's Tom Dempsey latest victim of virus. Brian37 3 759 April 5, 2020 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Athene