Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have I Told You At Least Once Today That I Love You?
Have I Told You At Least Once Today That I Love You?
Does anyone have trouble saying "I love you.?" Can you say it too often and wear it out?

We say it a lot in our little family, both between sisters and sisters and parents and girls, not to mention husband and wife. But my Mom has actually complained of hearing it too often from the girls--wears it out don't you see? --- I don't.

Any thoughts?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
RE: Have I Told You At Least Once Today That I Love You?
We seem to love each other while everything is going our way, when it doesn't, we drift out of love. True love for me is seeing everyone as yourself, we are all connected, love that connection, not just who or what we expect.
I guess I wasn't really looking for a discussion of what love is so much as a discussion of how often and how easily we say it.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Yes most of us just say it because of habit, or we feel its expected, this is not true love.
(August 10, 2014 at 12:28 am)Jenny A Wrote: Does anyone have trouble saying "I love you.?" Can you say it too often and wear it out?

Timing and the way you say it. If it's said with exasperation, or if it's said multiple times off-handed, like...

Then it wears. So... yes. I have trouble meaning it when I say it... usually it's just kind of 'yeah, I love you too, uhhuh'.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
My parents get upset if I don't, every time we talk on the phone. I dunno. It would feel weird if I didn't go through that drill, but at times, too much family is too much.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(August 10, 2014 at 12:28 am)Jenny A Wrote: Does anyone have trouble saying "I love you.?" Can you say it too often and wear it out?

We say it a lot in our little family, both between sisters and sisters and parents and girls, not to mention husband and wife. But my Mom has actually complained of hearing it too often from the girls--wears it out don't you see? --- I don't.

Any thoughts?

I think it is something that can become just something you say. Not that it will, but it can. Doesn't mean (necessarily) that the love is no longer there, just that the words can lose their impact.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Never say it and neither does my good wife...
It's weird trying to describe it. We feel we don't need to constantly reassure ourselves of our love. A bit like religious people constantly needing to pray.
Then again, with us, it's always: Hi luv, thanks luv, seeya later luv, etc
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
IMHO, love is something this planet is sorely lacking in.

You can't say it often enough, and generally people don't hear it enough.
(August 10, 2014 at 1:08 am)Alice Wrote:

Timing and the way you say it. If it's said with exasperation, or if it's said multiple times off-handed, like...

Then it wears. So... yes. I have trouble meaning it when I say it... usually it's just kind of 'yeah, I love you too, uhhuh'.

We've come up with a variant of the the exasperated "I love you." We say, "you know I DON'T love you right?" It's a little closer to what we mean which is really, "you are driving me crazy right now, but I do love you."

(August 10, 2014 at 1:17 am)GalacticBusDriver Wrote: I think it is something that can become just something you say. Not that it will, but it can. Doesn't mean (necessarily) that the love is no longer there, just that the words can lose their impact.
That I get. If we use it for hello and goodbye, and excuse me, it loses it's impact.

(August 10, 2014 at 3:29 am)ignoramus Wrote: Never say it and neither does my good wife...
It's weird trying to describe it. We feel we don't need to constantly reassure ourselves of our love. A bit like religious people constantly needing to pray.
Then again, with us, it's always: Hi luv, thanks luv, seeya later luv, etc
That's the way my parents behaved. They're divorced now (no I don't think that was it Tongue ). My father behaved that way with his second wife. Mom and her husband say "I love you," just not as ofter my husband and do. I think it's a matter of household style. It's only important if someone who does need to hear it, isn't hearing it.

(August 10, 2014 at 10:40 am)LostLocke Wrote: IMHO, love is something this planet is sorely lacking in.

You can't say it often enough, and generally people don't hear it enough.

Is it the love or the saying, "I love you," or both that's missing? Because it does lose some impact is you say it all the time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3666 197741 5 hours ago
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How's the weather treating you today? Foxaèr 69 921 April 20, 2024 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1082 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Awfully quiet today. arewethereyet 29 2269 April 9, 2023 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Happy Birthday to all the members who were "born" today! Jehanne 7 683 January 4, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Once, twice, three times a Brian. Brian37 14 944 March 22, 2021 at 7:24 am
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1113 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  My uncle died from COVID19 today. Jehanne 17 1093 November 26, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Ok, so I am a dumbass once again. Brian37 59 3216 June 27, 2020 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  I heard from Rob today! ReptilianPeon 2 514 March 29, 2020 at 4:36 pm