Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism/Theism and Pseudoscience
Atheism/Theism and Pseudoscience
Just a little observation that I noted followed by a question.

I recently moved to Texas from the Chicago area for a job, and it's been a bit of a culture shock. I walk 2 miles home from work each day and I pass four churches and can see two more on other streets. I expected that much, but I also pass two "Psychics", an acupuncture "clinic", an anti-aging herablist, and a storefront that claims to offer astrological guidance. It struck me to see such an eclectic bundle of new-agey superstition sprinkled between traditional religious superstition, and it got me thinking about something.

Of the people that I know well enough to understand their religious beliefs, the people that have the healing crystals and horoscopes and balance wristbands are actually atheists, while the more religious people I know stick more closely to their own religious crap, but don't subscribe to ghosts or psychics or homeopathy. I was wondering if you guys have noticed a correlation either way between atheism or theism and pseudoscience? Are theists more likely to believe in pseudoscience because of their religious beliefs, or are they kind of isolated in their own irrational bubble against it? Could also be no correlation at all, seeing as my sample size is pretty limited to my experience, but it would be interesting to explore.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
RE: Atheism/Theism and Pseudoscience
Acupuncture is actually legitimate I think, all the others are complete crap.
It just goes to show that atheists aren't automatically skeptics too.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(August 12, 2014 at 10:28 am)Bad Wolf Wrote: Acupuncture is actually legitimate I think, all the others are complete crap.

I can't recall any study confirming acupuncture is anything more than placebo.
- Thomas Jefferson
There may be a grain of truth somewhere in acupuncture, but the field is so intimately tied up with traditional Chinese medical mumbo jumbo like yin, yan and chi that doesn't even go for pseudoscience, and the practice of acupuncture is so devoid of any respectable functioning regulatory authority to determine what exactly is meant by doing it right, and who is properly trained and qualified, that IMHO most acupunctural establishments are substantively little different from faith healers, astrologers or palm readers.

(August 12, 2014 at 10:32 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(August 12, 2014 at 10:28 am)Bad Wolf Wrote: Acupuncture is actually legitimate I think, all the others are complete crap.

I can't recall any study confirming acupuncture is anything more than placebo.

If that is the case, then it appears this is a placebo which requires proper administration to work right. Which in turn suggests there is more in it then placebo effect.

Acupuncture points are not consistent just because they were handed down through one single Chinese tradition. It appears late Stone Age Europeans also had a parallel tradition of acupuncture points very similar to traditional Chinese acupuncture points. Late Stone Age mummies from Europe show a pattern of body tattoos marking out Chinese acupuncture points.
I don't see much difference between pseudoscience, conspiracy theories, and religion.

I think the same mindset is prevalent, God talks to ME, only I can figure out the machinations of the Illuminati, I can make the healing crystals work for YOU!!
Pseudoscience at least recognizes science is good, it just doesn't know what science is.
(August 12, 2014 at 9:48 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Just a little observation that I noted followed by a question.

I recently moved to Texas from the Chicago area for a job, and it's been a bit of a culture shock. I walk 2 miles home from work each day and I pass four churches and can see two more on other streets. I expected that much, but I also pass two "Psychics", an acupuncture "clinic", an anti-aging herablist, and a storefront that claims to offer astrological guidance. It struck me to see such an eclectic bundle of new-agey superstition sprinkled between traditional religious superstition, and it got me thinking about something.

Of the people that I know well enough to understand their religious beliefs, the people that have the healing crystals and horoscopes and balance wristbands are actually atheists, while the more religious people I know stick more closely to their own religious crap, but don't subscribe to ghosts or psychics or homeopathy. I was wondering if you guys have noticed a correlation either way between atheism or theism and pseudoscience? Are theists more likely to believe in pseudoscience because of their religious beliefs, or are they kind of isolated in their own irrational bubble against it? Could also be no correlation at all, seeing as my sample size is pretty limited to my experience, but it would be interesting to explore.

My guess is that your personal social experiences are not representative of the entire atheist population. I do not have any data to prove my claim, but I believe atheists will be less likely to believe in pseudo-science. Of course atheists can believe in spirits, afterlives, ghosts, astrology, it's just too damn incoherent, most atheists will trust the scientific method and dismiss supernatural claims. It's just like atheists against gay marriage, they are rare but they exist.

I don't know if there is a correlation between theism and pseudo science, but I would bet so. I would also bet atheists are less likely to trust pseudo-science, as you can see here on AF. The people I see following pseudo-science claims, mainly astrology and zodiac signs, hold all kind of beliefs, but I think most of them take it as a joke and don't blindly believe everything horoscopes say. I'd also imagine non religious spiritual people following pseudo science more closely, maybe because religious theists are busy reading their holy book (and some pseudo-science such as witchcraft and guessing the future could be considered sinful) while non religious theists need something supernatural to prove their beliefs, therefore an horoscope could be a great way to prove that something higher exists because these people forcibly associate events that make them believe the horoscope is predicting the future. Let's say the horoscopes says 'Today something bad will happen' - This can account for anything. 'I feel off the chair, damn the horoscope is telling the truth!'.

A funny person I met in college - Female liberal, a bit on the feminazi side. She and a guy were talking (she is an atheist, and a very strong one), and he was like 'Will you date me?', and she replied 'Sorry, I don't date gemini people, that never works for me'. Because fuck logic that's why ROFLOL
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(August 12, 2014 at 11:51 am)Blackout Wrote:
(August 12, 2014 at 9:48 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Just a little observation that I noted followed by a question.

My guess is that your personal social experiences are not representative of the entire atheist population. I do not have any data to prove my claim, but I believe atheists will be less likely to believe in pseudo-science. Of course atheists can believe in spirits, afterlives, ghosts, astrology, it's just too damn incoherent, most atheists will trust the scientific method and dismiss supernatural claims. It's just like atheists against gay marriage, they are rare but they exist.

I don't know if there is a correlation between theism and pseudo science, but I would bet so. I would also bet atheists are less likely to trust pseudo-science, as you can see here on AF. The people I see following pseudo-science claims, mainly astrology and zodiac signs, hold all kind of beliefs, but I think most of them take it as a joke and don't blindly believe everything horoscopes say. I'd also imagine non religious spiritual people following pseudo science more closely, maybe because religious theists are busy reading their holy book (and some pseudo-science such as witchcraft and guessing the future could be considered sinful) while non religious theists need something supernatural to prove their beliefs, therefore an horoscope could be a great way to prove the something higher exists because these people forcibly associate events that make them believe the horoscope is predicting the future. Let's say the horoscopes says 'Today something bad will happen' - This can account for anything. 'I feel off the chair, damn the horoscope is telling the truth!'.

A funny person I met in college - Female liberal, a bit on the feminazi side. She and a guy were talking (she is an atheist, and a very strong one), and he was like 'Will you date me?', and she replied 'Sorry, I don't date gemini people, that never works for me'. Because fuck logic that's why ROFLOL

Yeah the sample size I have is admittedly tiny. however, I wouldn't exactly say the population here on AF is really representative either. I wish there was some big study on this, and there might be but I can't go looking for it at work :/
- Thomas Jefferson
Maybe she was being polite? She could have said "I don't date assholes."
(August 12, 2014 at 11:56 am)Minimalist Wrote: Maybe she was being polite? She could have said "I don't date assholes."

No, she refused to date at least 3 or 4 guys because of zodiac signs, and since she was a very vocal person I don't doubt she'd tell him to go fuck himself if she thought he was an asshole. It's just zodiac, really...
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2745 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Atheism, theism, agnosticism, gnosticism, ignosticism Simon Moon 25 2059 October 29, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 1849 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Comparing Theism with Flat-Earthism FlatAssembler 26 1990 December 21, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Protection Against the Wiles of Theism Rhondazvous 9 1498 April 7, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Anti-Theism Haipule 134 25254 December 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population Coveny 49 13138 September 12, 2017 at 9:36 am
Last Post: mordant
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27118 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Occam's Razor, atheism, theism and polytheism. Jehanne 74 16810 February 14, 2017 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Has the Atheism vs. Theism debate played it's course? MJ the Skeptical 49 10753 August 12, 2016 at 8:43 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical