Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
homophobia
homophobia
Hi, I'm czúza (better pseudonym than albert).
Anyway, I've got a question that I have been thinking about, it's why are abrahamic religions homophobic in general. I mean, how did it start?

On the sidenote, what are some common superstitions in your country (or state if your country is huge)?.
In my country libya, people do incense to ward off genies and the evil eye (there was a Female demon on my bed) ROFLOL
RE: homophobia
(August 13, 2014 at 4:32 pm)czúzyt ylgájla Wrote: I've got a question that I have been thinking about, it's why are abrahamic religions homophobic in general. I mean, how did it start?
It's common to condemn others for what one personally desires. It's a way of externalizing an unreconciled position.
Leviticus 20:13 - If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Note that lesbians are never mentioned or condemned. Booya.

Leviticus also condemned eating shellfish but that one seems to be largely ignored. Shrimp loving hypocrites! http://www.godhatesshrimp.com/
~
The only difference between belief in God and belief in Santa Claus is that eventually people stop telling you Santa Claus is real.
~
Off Topic: I hate the term "homophobia". It's not like arachnophobia or claustrophobia, which are actual *fears*.

Carry on Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(August 13, 2014 at 4:32 pm)czúzyt ylgájla Wrote: Hi, I'm czúza (better pseudonym than albert).
Anyway, I've got a question that I have been thinking about, it's why are abrahamic religions homophobic in general. I mean, how did it start?
Welcome!

I believe homophobia was introduced to Judaism as a side-effect from their apparent obsession with population growth.

Leviticus details the Old Testament law's rules regarding menstruation in such a way as to lead women to have sex with their husbands in accordance to her natural cycle so that she's more likely to become pregnant. In context with the rest of the OT, the message is that sex is for procreation and the more children, the better.

Here is "The Brick Testament" and its quotation of the relevant passages:
http://www.thebricktestament.com/the_law...15_28.html

This may be the root of homophobia not just in Abrahamic religions but in other societies. Societies more accepting of same gender love still encouraged their young men and women to do what they had to in order to produce more children for the next generation.

In ancient Greece, for example, same gender affections were fully accepted but, nonetheless, a Greek lad by the time he reached 20 was expected to be married and producing children. Interestingly enough, if their folk tales and mythology is any indication, Greek women, be they goddesses or mortal, were not bothered if their husbands had male lovers on the side. Curiously enough, these same women would go into murderous rages if their husbands ever took a female lover (see "Media" as the most gruesome example) but male lovers were not a threat. Most notably, Hera would try to kill any of Zeus' female lovers and the children he had with them but Zeus bringing home a handsome Trojan lad named "Ganymede" was accepted without a fuss. Sorry, I digress. The point is that in ancient Greece, wrestling with your best friend or getting some extra credit from your mentor was all well and good but you still need to get married and produce lots of Greek babies.

As we now understand, sexual orientation isn't a choice (though some are still in denial about that) and with 6 billion on this planet, we need fewer babies anyway. So clearly the rules are wrong and need a re-write but you can't do that with religion.

Quote:On the sidenote, what are some common superstitions in your country (or state if your country is huge)?.
Superstitions are everywhere. Even among my friends who are atheists, blowing on dice when playing games is considered to bring good luck.

Saying things like "what possibly could go wrong", "we've got it made now" and "things can't possibly get any worse" are considered to invoke bad luck, as if vindictive fates will hear your words and curse you just to teach you not to tempt them. I'm the kind of skeptic that actively says things like this just to prove they have no effect but it sometimes upsets others, even those who are atheists.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Quote:I mean, how did it start?

My hunch is that it was a way of trying to separate themselves from the Greeks.

Homosexuality was common among the Greeks and from 333 to roughly 140 BC the Greeks were ruling the whole area. The Book of Maccabees essentially gives us a picture of primitive "jews" struggling against far more modern Greeks of the Seleucid Empire. Coincidentally, that seems to be the time period when this OT shit was concocted into what is its present form.

Consider this excerpt from pages 39-40 of Israel Finkelstein's "The Bible Unearthed." He is in effect telling a 7th century BC ethnic joke....and jesus freaks worship this shit.

[Image: Finkelstein_Ammon_Moab.jpg]

Like I said, call it a hunch but the goat fuckers were trying to draw a distinction between themselves and the faggy Greeks!
(August 13, 2014 at 5:02 pm)FlowingFlame Wrote: Note that lesbians are never mentioned or condemned. Booya.

Sorry, the bad news is Paul extended the taboo to lesbians.

The Wholly Babble Wrote:Romans 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

The good news is we don't have to give a shit what Paul wrote.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Abraham didn't like the smell of shit on his dick after he busted a nut. And it also got his linens dirty.
(August 13, 2014 at 5:05 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: Off Topic: I hate the term "homophobia". It's not like arachnophobia or claustrophobia, which are actual *fears*.

Carry on Smile

I've always been bothered by the term too. I never shrieked in horror or ran away from homosexuals. I just thought they were sick in the head and needed to stop.

I also didn't like how they compared themselves to blacks, since sodomy is an action, not an ethnic group. Blacks can't stop being blacks. Gays can stop having sex with the same gender.

Of course now my opinions have changed.

People hate things that are different. We love to put things in groups, and if something doesn't fit the group then we want to get rid of it so our opinions will continue making sense.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(August 13, 2014 at 5:02 pm)FlowingFlame Wrote: Leviticus 20:13 - If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Note that lesbians are never mentioned or condemned. Booya.

Leviticus also condemned eating shellfish but that one seems to be largely ignored. Shrimp loving hypocrites! http://www.godhatesshrimp.com/

St. Paul (he who obviously is a hateful s.o.b.) poo-poo'd even getting normally married in the "present crisis" (meaning of course that he thought the world would end soon!) and so he looked down upon gays and lesbians.

Romans 1:26-27

"For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error."

[Image: 3634494-82381-aw-hell-no-meme-wonder-woman-zagp.jpeg]

On the other, Jesus was totally cool with all dat shiz, since a Christian could be raptured while having gay sex.

Luke 17:34-35

"I tell you, on that night two people will be in one bed; one will be taken and the other left. There will be two women grinding at the same place; one will be taken and the other will be left."

[Image: jesus_was_a_hippee_by_synnewarrior-d5gal4a.jpg]

And of course conservative Christians are absolutely fine with gay sex as long as it's two hot girls kissing on their computers. Tongue
Luke: You don't believe in the Force, do you?

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.