Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello All, I Was Brutally Raised Catholic
Hello All, I Was Brutally Raised Catholic
I had and still have a militant type of father who drilled this down my throat since I was in the womb. I went to church every week since I was in 1st grade; now in my mid 20's. I always considered myself logical, but never really put that logic towards christianity. I remember hearing I'm praying for your soul because you're on your way to hell all the way back into middle school, even though I was a much better kid than most.

I always questioned certain aspects like slavery in the bible and why was homosexuality immoral, but always ignored it. Despite the Catholic beliefs, we always had paranormal/psychic shows on at our house, so that reinforced life after death beliefs for me. I had a few paranormal experiences in my life, which now I feel I can debunk. Skip ahead until a few years ago, I had visited the alleged miracle of fatima spot in Portugal because I had believed in it so much and actually had visited a few monasteries, and was completely ready to serve the Lord every minute of my waking life.

At this point I was probably praying 2 hours a day of idiotic rosary, prayers to saints, and a whole bunch of garbage and wondering why god wouldn't help me through my illnesses so I could answer his call. I was convinced I was being tested I guess. About 5 months ago I was pretty deep into my auto immune illness (Currently keeps me out of work, school, and my "calling") and decided to look up crucified saviors before Jesus and research religion, and overnight I became Non-religious. I've been researching and watching youtube videos of atheists' point of views ever since on a daily basis. 3 weeks ago I became an atheist!!!

I guess it was god's will that I don't serve him every day, and its his will I became an atheist. I can't tell you how much time I've given to my religion, and how much of a one-sided relationship that was, HOLY $&%#! I never had a real prayer answered, Shocker! At least I was open-minded. I now despise religion, and especially despise the indoctrination of helpless children. My father probably prays every catholic prayer imaginable and spends probably 4 structured hours a day ignoring his family because God is most important. Oh well, Thats life hahaha, Sorry not trying to complain at all, just trying to explain my crazy religious background. I empathize with everyone out there who was forced to believe this stuff as fact and almost not given a choice to decide. Thanks in advance for the welcome, and have a great day all!
RE: Hello All, I Was Brutally Raised Catholic
Welcome, Lahjick Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Catholicism is pretty brutal...just look at the assholes who run the place.

You're free now. Enjoy the rest of your life.
Quote:I always questioned certain aspects like slavery in the bible and why was homosexuality immoral, but always ignored it. Despite the Catholic beliefs, we always had paranormal/psychic shows on at our house, so that reinforced life after death beliefs for me. I had a few paranormal experiences in my life, which now I feel I can debunk. Skip ahead until a few years ago, I had visited the alleged miracle of fatima spot in Portugal because I had believed in it so much and actually had visited a few monasteries, and was completely ready to serve the Lord every minute of my waking life.
Don't tell me there's another portuguese in the house...

Welcome

Fatima is beautiful by the way, but not for religious purposes.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Don't tell me there's another portuguese in the house...

Welcome

Fatima is beautiful by the way, but not for religious purposes.
[/quote]

==No, I'm from America. Fatima was a peaceful, relaxing place. After about two days there's pretty much nothing to do, but pray all day. Lisbon was pretty amazing, since that was my first and only time in Europe. It is a very very different place compared to where I'm from.==

(August 13, 2014 at 9:58 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Catholicism is pretty brutal...just look at the assholes who run the place.

You're free now. Enjoy the rest of your life.

Thanks for the greeting.
Once you start watching all the evolution videos on YouTube and how genetics fits in with it all, you will be in awe with nature and what she had to go through to get us here today!

And religion just ignores her and credits an imaginary figure for all her beauty...
Very sad...

Welcome aboard!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Welcome

Glad you're on your way to freedom. It's a tough road. I can tell you are still on your way, "god's will for me to be an atheist" is a little bit of a contradictory statement!!!

Hope your journey is paved with enlightenment. You have a community here that will help you, one way or the other.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
After reading your latest post/replies I can confirm that we really are in the same boat my friend.

You, and I for that matter, have been brought up in an abusive manner. I don't think that forcing your child to become a Christian just because he was born in a Christian family is fair. Just because I was born in a religious country does not mean in any way that I actually intend on being religious at all. If I ever have a kid, I will give him/her the options available. I will show him/her that there are various religions to practise but I will also explain why I'm an atheist. After that, it's up to my kid to decide which path he/she wants to follow. I'm not going to force my kid to become an atheist just because I am, and this should be done even with children born in Christian families.

I congratulate you for finding out that religion is fake, even if it took you longer than it took me. I remember even going to Catholic lessons till a few years ago but even then I only used to attend for the games and to meet my friends and I didn't focus at all on praying etc.

I also congratulate you on finding a good place to speak about your beliefs freely and without judgement. This forum is a great way to discuss things with people who are in the same boat as you are. Smile
Welcome to the forum.
I'm sorry I missed you when you came by Lisbon WinkI
Enjoy your newfound freedom and peace of mind... and all that extra time, now that you've seen all the atheist videos in YouTube.
You're probably just going through a phase. [Image: coffee.gif]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello to all SimpleCaveman 52 3394 November 29, 2023 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: SimpleCaveman
  Hello y'all BillieBobbie 3 704 January 18, 2023 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Objectivist
  Twitter refugee, hello all Dizzyagain 27 1759 October 20, 2020 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Dizzyagain
  Hello All! Smedders 11 719 December 29, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Hello all Bmanne 23 2947 December 12, 2019 at 10:18 am
Last Post: sebaslopez
  Hello All Mark Alien 24 2664 August 7, 2019 at 11:25 am
Last Post: veoli
  Hello all ohio_drg 13 1289 September 28, 2018 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Hello from a culturally Amenian-Catholic! Arsoo 10 1244 October 1, 2017 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Hi all - new here is all.... val5662 15 2135 March 18, 2017 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Struggling with Catholic Partner Satch 22 3114 November 17, 2015 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Aractus