Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what do you know about light bulbs?
what do you know about light bulbs?
in the dining area of my apartment the hanging light is one of those super bright and white light bulbs (unlike the nice yellow ones that feel like home) and I want to replace it - ive been reading about full spectrum bulbs that they say are nice yellow light, efficient and can even give mental health benefits - but then I found one of those * statements that say there's not enough scientific evidence to support those claims lol

- which is annoying cus in another forum I go to this christian lady is constantly promoting all kinds of "alternative medicine" treatments like 'magic foods' and those light bulbs - she recommended me so many kinds of herbs for my tonsils to avoid tonsillectomy but none of them helped so i dropped her alternative medicine for real medicine and got a tonsillectomy and things are much better now, but i digress - what do y'all think of full spectrum bulbs?
RE: what do you know about light bulbs?
I say fuck it, eat by candlelight. With the windows closed, blinds down, so that if the candle goes out unexpectedly, you'll be in pitch black.
I'd be interested in any responses we get to this. We're stuck with fluorescent bulbs now and the light is much harsher than the old-style bulbs.
(August 18, 2014 at 7:20 am)Diablo Wrote: I'd be interested in any responses we get to this. We're stuck with fluorescent bulbs now and the light is much harsher than the old-style bulbs.

If you don't mind me asking, what does the the fart of beelzebub smell like?
You.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 18, 2014 at 8:29 am)Stimbo Wrote: You.

It's that bad.
Lovely
I am extremely sensitive to light wave frequency. I use a combination of two bulbs, and not only are they warm and complimentary, they balance each other's frequencies out perfectly for me. I never use fluorescent bulbs (incandescent all the way) and I never exceed 800 lumens per bulb.

[Image: 41znP5sIECL._SY300_.jpg]
[Image: 0004316867329_500X500.jpg]
I prefer 2700K bulbs (whatever the technology) in 'food' areas. The warmer tone (IOW, more red light) makes for a more pleasant illumination of food.

Office area, I prefer a 'crisper' light, so I look for 5000K light there.

I have a large model train layout and the bulb consideration was lengthy and expensive. I went with 3500K and looked for as high a CRI as I could get, I think they were around 85%. CRI has to do with how well all the different colors present are illuminated by the bulb. Being able to discern, for instance, all the different shades of shingles on a house makes the house look more realistic, for instance. I also needed bulbs that I could dim for a day/twilight/night effect and the unfortunately, the CFL bulbs I picked are not the best for adjustability. I had to modify the electronics as the bulbs show most of their variation over a small range of the control, and getting the twilight part right was fairly difficult.

I think dimmable LED bulbs would be better, and when a few more of the CFLs burn out, I'll get them. Because of the quantity, It will be expensive, and I will need to recalibrate the 'twilight' setting. I also have some coverage issues, and I'll fis that at the same time. I have a problem with some shadows on the front sides of several buildings, and for guests standing in most viewing areas, the problem can be a touch annoying.
I have a couple of cree led bulbs which give out a nice warm light, very good to read by, much better than the normal blue - white led lamps I used before.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

I like the bright lights. The brighter the better. Maybe try a low watt soft white bulb.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3654 195552 Yesterday at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1073 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Did you know? Ryn 2 318 July 4, 2022 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: weaponoffreedom
  Dark meat vs. light meat Foxaèr 11 787 December 1, 2021 at 12:20 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Do I know you? Losty 16 1273 October 21, 2019 at 5:03 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  10 things you didn’t know about Star Wars robvalue 3 845 March 20, 2019 at 7:13 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  Let me know how much I've upset you or you don't want me here. Foxaèr 34 5930 April 28, 2018 at 5:23 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  I know something you don't know... Jackalope 98 17300 April 22, 2018 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Do you know why the end of the month is still too far away? Foxaèr 15 2387 April 22, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Just some things I’d like to know about you. Losty 54 9321 April 6, 2018 at 11:33 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome