Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something For Jesus Freaks to Get Their Knickers In A Twist About
Something For Jesus Freaks to Get Their Knickers In A Twist About
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/on-the-h...909697492r

Quote:The assumption that Jesus existed as a historical person has occasionally been questioned in the course of the last hundred years or so, but any doubts that have been raised have usually been put to rest in favor of imagining a blend of the historical, the mythical and the theological in the surviving records of Jesus.

Carrier re-examines the whole question and finds compelling reasons to suspect the more daring assumption is correct. He lays out extensive research on the evidence for Jesus and the origins of Christianity and poses the key questions that must now be answered if the historicity of Jesus is to survive as a dominant paradigm.

Carrier contrasts the most credible reconstruction of a historical Jesus with the most credible theory of Christian origins if a historical Jesus did not exist. Such a theory would posit that the Jesus figure was originally conceived of as a celestial being known only through private revelations and hidden messages in scripture; then stories placing this being in earth history were crafted to communicate the claims of the gospel allegorically; such stories eventually came to be believed or promoted in the struggle for control of the Christian churches that survived the tribulations of the first century.

Carrier finds the latter theory more credible than has been previously imagined. He explains why it offers a better explanation for all the disparate evidence surviving from the first two centuries of the Christian era. He argues that we need a more careful and robust theory of cultural syncretism between Jewish theology and politics of the second-temple period and the most popular features of pagan religion and philosophy of the time.

For anyone intent on defending a historical Jesus, this is the book to challenge.

This just moved to the top of my reading list.
RE: Something For Jesus Freaks to Get Their Knickers In A Twist About
(August 23, 2014 at 1:49 am)Minimalist Wrote: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/on-the-h...909697492r

Quote:The assumption that Jesus existed as a historical person has occasionally been questioned in the course of the last hundred years or so, but any doubts that have been raised have usually been put to rest in favor of imagining a blend of the historical, the mythical and the theological in the surviving records of Jesus.

Carrier re-examines the whole question and finds compelling reasons to suspect the more daring assumption is correct. He lays out extensive research on the evidence for Jesus and the origins of Christianity and poses the key questions that must now be answered if the historicity of Jesus is to survive as a dominant paradigm.

Carrier contrasts the most credible reconstruction of a historical Jesus with the most credible theory of Christian origins if a historical Jesus did not exist. Such a theory would posit that the Jesus figure was originally conceived of as a celestial being known only through private revelations and hidden messages in scripture; then stories placing this being in earth history were crafted to communicate the claims of the gospel allegorically; such stories eventually came to be believed or promoted in the struggle for control of the Christian churches that survived the tribulations of the first century.

Carrier finds the latter theory more credible than has been previously imagined. He explains why it offers a better explanation for all the disparate evidence surviving from the first two centuries of the Christian era. He argues that we need a more careful and robust theory of cultural syncretism between Jewish theology and politics of the second-temple period and the most popular features of pagan religion and philosophy of the time.

For anyone intent on defending a historical Jesus, this is the book to challenge.

This just moved to the top of my reading list.

Yeah, this sounds like a good read.

It is not meant to be a popular book. It is a serious scholarly book that is being submitted for peer review.

It is over 700 pages, heavily footnoted.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Hmm:

"Richard Cevantis Carrier is an atheist activist, author, frequent public speaker, and blogger. He is a trained historian and one of the leading current proponents of the Christ myth theory."

Looks like he has an agenda.
I have heard that originally Jesus was meant to be a spirit. Paul was talking about some godly spirit who was not born of a virgin that got brutally killed ten years prior. I've also heard that Jesus was originally thought to be a separate, superior being to Yahweh, which explains why Jesus' personality and views differ from Yahweh's in some areas. Though they both seem to believe thinking something is as bad as doing it. Back in the ten commandments, coveting is on the same list as stealing, as if wanting what other people have is equivalent to taking what other people have.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(August 23, 2014 at 9:57 am)Chad32 Wrote: I have heard that originally Jesus was meant to be a spirit. Paul was talking about some godly spirit who was not born of a virgin that got brutally killed ten years prior. I've also heard that Jesus was originally thought to be a separate, superior being to Yahweh, which explains why Jesus' personality and views differ from Yahweh's in some areas. Though they both seem to believe thinking something is as bad as doing it. Back in the ten commandments, coveting is on the same list as stealing, as if wanting what other people have is equivalent to taking what other people have.

My bold. You get the same thing in Matthew (see what I know about the bible) where adultery is committed first of all in the heart. It's thought control.
Yeah, Jesus talks about it in Matthew. I'm not sure why anyone would equate thought with action. If I'm going to be punished for rape, despite not actually committing the act, what's my motivation to not do it? At least if I actually do it, I'd have some temporary pleasure to look back on while I'm being punished.

I deserve to be punished for not being perfect. Which is impossible to do because I was never given the chance to be perfect. I never was, and could never be, but somehow I'm being held responsible for it anyway..
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(August 23, 2014 at 9:51 am)Diablo Wrote: Looks like he has an agenda.

And believers don't? Perhaps it would be best to consider the argument.
(August 23, 2014 at 10:11 am)Chad32 Wrote: Yeah, Jesus talks about it in Matthew. I'm not sure why anyone would equate thought with action. If I'm going to be punished for rape, despite not actually committing the act, what's my motivation to not do it? At least if I actually do it, I'd have some temporary pleasure to look back on while I'm being punished.

I deserve to be punished for not being perfect. Which is impossible to do because I was never given the chance to be perfect. I never was, and could never be, but somehow I'm being held responsible for it anyway..

That's right.

(August 23, 2014 at 10:12 am)Cato Wrote:
(August 23, 2014 at 9:51 am)Diablo Wrote: Looks like he has an agenda.

And believers don't? Perhaps it would be best to consider the argument.

If I wanted to spend $35 on 700 pages I might, but it's also useful to know where the guy is coming from. Same thing if a Reverend wrote it.
(August 23, 2014 at 10:13 am)Diablo Wrote: If I wanted to spend $35 on 700 pages I might, but it's also useful to know where the guy is coming from. Same thing if a Reverend wrote it.

Your religious bookshelf must be empty if you dismiss works by atheists and theists because of perceived bias. Again, it might be better to consider the argument, even if from a thorough third party review, than to immediately dismiss the work.
(August 23, 2014 at 10:25 am)Cato Wrote:
(August 23, 2014 at 10:13 am)Diablo Wrote: If I wanted to spend $35 on 700 pages I might, but it's also useful to know where the guy is coming from. Same thing if a Reverend wrote it.

Your religious bookshelf must be empty if you dismiss works by atheists and theists because of perceived bias. Again, it might be better to consider the argument, even if from a thorough third party review, than to immediately dismiss the work.

I have the 'End of Faith' and that's about it. I didn't mean to dismiss the book, I even said I'd consider reading it as long as I don't have to spend $35 for the privilege. I'd read an independant review for sure.

The point I was making is that it's good to look at the author's previous before reading it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is PeTA atheist or something of a humanist? BananaFlambe 11 769 December 4, 2023 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1463 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  How to beat a presupp at their own game Superjock 150 12046 April 16, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3017 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4478 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Famous people losing their religion: stories Fake Messiah 14 2773 May 21, 2018 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Even in darkest times here is something that made me smile dyresand 3 1948 May 17, 2017 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why there is something rather than nothing... Jehanne 43 7773 August 28, 2016 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Why people afraid to ask questions about their beliefs? Torin 21 4478 August 13, 2016 at 1:08 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Always something new to learn Foxaèr 26 3938 July 10, 2016 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus