Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to beat a presupp at their own game
How to beat a presupp at their own game
Hi everyone,

I'm an atheist, although I've really just suppressed my belief in God for 30 years... which is what some theists will tell me. I joined Discord a week ago and I listened to the chats in one of the theist servers

The chat server is filled with presupps and the number one objection for atheism that I hear is what grounds our atheism? What grounds do we have for facts and knowledge? How can we know anything in a godless world?

From their view, God is the foundation of knowledge. It's self-justifying - how do they know? God revealed it through special and divine revelation and therefore they cannot be wrong. So to deny this, means that atheists are appealing to a non-personal universe (??) (I'm probably not stating this argument 100%, I"m tired and haven't slept)

If you say the universe is my starting point as an atheist, they'll say what grounds the universe?

One of the primary presupps there is Darth Darkins. Anyone know how to dismantle this type of argument?
RE: How to beat a presupp at their own game
(March 17, 2021 at 4:10 am)Superjock Wrote: What grounds do we have for facts and knowledge? How can we know anything in a godless world?

These are certainly good questions. It seems like we should have answers ready when someone asks.

What answers have you given so far?

edited to add:

It looks as though the guy you're referring to goes by "Darth Dawkins." Not "Darkins." He has gotten a certain amount of Internet fame.
(March 17, 2021 at 4:17 am)Belacqua Wrote:
(March 17, 2021 at 4:10 am)Superjock Wrote: What grounds do we have for facts and knowledge? How can we know anything in a godless world?

These are certainly good questions. It seems like we should have answers ready when someone asks.

What answers have you given so far?

edited to add:

It looks as though the guy you're referring to goes by "Darth Dawkins." Not "Darkins." He has gotten a certain amount of Internet fame.

Sorry, Darth Dawkins. He is on the Reformation server on Discord every day, and last night he was basically bullying a woman who was an agnostic in this way, by essentially making her concede that her position was just completely arbitrary.

He then attempted to discredit Evolution for 30 minutes.

If someone asks me how do I know if the existance or the universe is the absolute grounding (Darth likes to use the words Ultimate in particular) my answer is I don't know.
At work.

I must admit my one and only breif interaction with Master Dawkin's was rather brusk.

I think the only question that was asked of me was,
"Where do the laws of logic come from?"

To which I replied (Again pending an aging memory) that,
"They are emergent properties created via the definitions with which we imbue/create language?"

Or something similar.
(March 17, 2021 at 4:40 am)Superjock Wrote: If someone asks me how do I know if the existance or the universe is the absolute grounding (Darth likes to use the words Ultimate in particular) my answer is I don't know.

I think "I don't know" is a wise position.

The trouble is that guys like him who like to fight will take it as an expression of weakness, and try to pound you over the head with it. I don't think they are interested in the truth -- only in winning. As if "winning" debates on the Internet were worth anything. 

Epistemology is a fascinating subject, though. Probably you've already spelled out the standard position: we hold things to be true based on either 1) experience, or 2) logic. 

Since we are easily fooled by experience, and don't have access to any "absolute" source of knowledge, the best we can do is just double check things and remain modest.
(March 17, 2021 at 4:10 am)Superjock Wrote: The chat server is filled with presupps and the number one objection for atheism that I hear is what grounds our atheism? What grounds do we have for facts and knowledge? How can we know anything in a godless world?

From their view, God is the foundation of knowledge. It's self-justifying - how do they know? God revealed it through special and divine revelation and therefore they cannot be wrong.

Theists usually use logical fallacies, like the one you mention:

Quote:God is the foundation of knowledge. It's self-justifying - how do they know? God revealed it through special and divine revelation and therefore they cannot be wrong.

That is called circular reasoning. So perhaps the question is how does one argue against logical fallacies? They said "God is the foundation of knowledge" but then which God? There is a God of Mahabharata for instance who also left "divine revelation".

So yeah it is a lot of theist shit (fallacies, lies, and delusions) crammed in few sentences so you first have to dismantle it and Discord perhaps doesn't give you enough room for it.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(March 17, 2021 at 4:10 am)Superjock Wrote: Hi everyone,

I'm an atheist, although I've really just suppressed my belief in God for 30 years... which is what some theists will tell me. I joined Discord a week ago and I listened to the chats in one of the theist servers

The chat server is filled with presupps and the number one objection for atheism that I hear is what grounds our atheism? What grounds do we have for facts and knowledge? How can we know anything in a godless world?

From their view, God is the foundation of knowledge. It's self-justifying - how do they know? God revealed it through special and divine revelation and therefore they cannot be wrong. So to deny this, means that atheists are appealing to a non-personal universe (??) (I'm probably not stating this argument 100%, I"m tired and haven't slept)

If you say the universe is my starting point as an atheist, they'll say what grounds the universe?

One of the primary presupps there is Darth Darkins. Anyone know how to dismantle this type of argument?

On the face of it, it's a circular argument that boils down to, 'I believe in God because God told me I believe in God'. But if you want to beat them at their own game, question their questions.

'What grounds your atheism?' 'Why does my atheism need grounding at all?'

'What grounds your facts and knowledge?' 'You don't really grasp what atheism is, do you?'

'How can you know anything in a godless world?' 'How can YOU know anything in a godded one?'

'What grounds the universe?' 'What grounds God? If God doesn't require grounding, why should the universe?'

And so on. Since it isn't possible to logically refute an argument that isn't based in logic in the first place, your best option is to make them look silly for asking these non-questions.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 17, 2021 at 5:50 am)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(March 17, 2021 at 4:10 am)Superjock Wrote: The chat server is filled with presupps and the number one objection for atheism that I hear is what grounds our atheism? What grounds do we have for facts and knowledge? How can we know anything in a godless world?

From their view, God is the foundation of knowledge. It's self-justifying - how do they know? God revealed it through special and divine revelation and therefore they cannot be wrong.

Quote:God is the foundation of knowledge. It's self-justifying - how do they know? God revealed it through special and divine revelation and therefore they cannot be wrong.

That is called circular reasoning. So perhaps the question is how does one argue against logical fallacies? They said "God is the foundation of knowledge" but then which God? There is a God of Mahabharata for instance who also left "divine revelation".

So yeah it is a lot of theist shit (fallacies, lies, and delusions) crammed in few sentences so you first have to dismantle it and Discord perhaps doesn't give you enough room for it.

The God used in particular is the Christian God. Do yourself a favour, later today, join the Reformation channel on Discord and listen to their argument. Either an agnostic or an atheist will chime in and then their argument gets deconstructed. You'll see what I mean.

If anyone wants I can send them an invite link to the Reformation server so they can chime in. Atheists have to have each others backs! Big Grin Even if all of this is for entertainment sake.

(March 17, 2021 at 5:50 am)Fake Messiah Wrote:

What I've gathered so far is that you CANNOT overtalk Darth. You MUST let him speak and let him finish. THEN you can ask your questions. But on the face of it, the whole thing is unfair because he is the moderator and can kick you out of the chat if he feels you are being disingenuous. But overtalking him is a sure-fire way to get kicked out.

I listen to this jerk every night (I live in South Africa) but I'm oddly addicted because every time I listen I feel like I might be getting closer to figuring out how to dismantle his  argument. I don't feel I'm at that point yet, but I only joined Discord a few days ago.
(March 17, 2021 at 6:32 am)Superjock Wrote:
(March 17, 2021 at 5:50 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Theists usually use logical fallacies, like the one you mention:

The God used in particular is the Christian God. Do yourself a favour, later today, join the Reformation channel on Discord and listen to their argument. Either an agnostic or an atheist will chime in and then their argument gets deconstructed. You'll see what I mean.

If anyone wants I can send them an invite link to the Reformation server so they can chime in. Atheists have to have each others backs! Big Grin Even if all of this is for entertainment sake.

(March 17, 2021 at 5:50 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Theists usually use logical fallacies, like the one you mention:

What I've gathered so far is that you CANNOT overtalk Darth. You MUST let him speak and let him finish. THEN you can ask your questions. But on the face of it, the whole thing is unfair because he is the moderator and can kick you out of the chat if he feels you are being disingenuous. But overtalking him is a sure-fire way to get kicked out.

I listen to this jerk every night (I live in South Africa) but I'm oddly addicted because every time I listen I feel like I might be getting closer to figuring out how to dismantle his  argument. I don't feel I'm at that point yet, but I only joined Discord a few days ago.

Moderator Notice
Advertisements in posts are not allowed without prior staff approval. If you would like permission to advertise, please contact staff using the Questions for Staff subforum.

Please note that this rule also applies to people conducting research, surveys, or asking for members to sign petitions or join causes.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Sorry if I broke terms of service, I clearly didn't read through them very carefully. I wont mention Discord again.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I own an XBOX and that's good enough for me. Angrboda 5 452 July 9, 2023 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  We atheists now have our own social network rado84 16 1722 August 12, 2021 at 7:51 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  "You just want to be your own god"? zwanzig 48 4278 July 7, 2021 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1437 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  James Randi deserves his own RIP thread. Brian37 27 1973 January 6, 2021 at 11:39 am
Last Post: RozzerusUnrelentus
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4465 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Famous people losing their religion: stories Fake Messiah 14 2730 May 21, 2018 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Make up your own atheistic quote Transcended Dimensions 56 9653 October 30, 2017 at 9:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  Encounter with a Presupp amygdala 20 2857 November 10, 2016 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Why people afraid to ask questions about their beliefs? Torin 21 4443 August 13, 2016 at 1:08 am
Last Post: robvalue